Pelicans Report

Thread: Getting to Know Trey Murphy III

Getting to Know Trey Murphy III

https://musicmoviesandhoops.com/gett...ey-murphy-iii/

J. Cole I can see. SemiPro not so much. Still, seems like a high-character kid in all the interviews.

His ROY odds are +6600. Thinking about putting some money on him. It's a long shot, but it isn't just his talent, but the fit

Quote Originally Posted by Dago75 View Post
    His ROY odds are +6600. Thinking about putting some money on him. It's a long shot, but it isn't just his talent, but the fit
    Haha, love the enthusiasm but this draft class has some 20ppg guys in it from day 1. Trey just needs to play his role and hit his open shots and not get lost on D. I'd be happy with that

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Haha, love the enthusiasm but this draft class has some 20ppg guys in it from day 1. Trey just needs to play his role and hit his open shots and not get lost on D. I'd be happy with that
    Dago75 did acknowledge it as a long shot though, so it's not like he's fooling himself about the odds.

Just out of curiosity, how many 20ppg-day-one guys do you think there are in this class?
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Dago75 did acknowledge it as a long shot though, so it's not like he's fooling himself about the odds.

Just out of curiosity, how many 20ppg-day-one guys do you think there are in this class?
    Jalen Green
    Cade
    Suggs maybe

I really like that he doesn’t need to be too involved to make an impact, but he is very capable of getting his own as well. At least from what we saw in summer league of course

His development will probably determine BI's future with the Pelicans. If 3M3 is, in fact, 'all that', it makes it a lot easier to include BI in any blockbuster trade for an existing Superstar (who is under contract).

Full disclosure: At this point in time, I deem BI as the best player on the team and I would prefer moving forward with him and adding that Superstar, who we pine for, via Free Agency.

What's going to make Trey a good fit for this team is he's used to playing off the ball, in fact his offensive game is built on it. It's what sets him apart from most of the offensive guys drafted ahead of him. So Trey should have decent numbers just playing off guys like Zion and BI. It's probably not conducive to being ROY, but it wouldn't surprise me if he made rookie 1st team.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Jalen Green
    Cade
    Suggs maybe
    Gotcha.

Really I only see Green as a likely candidate there. I don't think Cade is score-first enough, though I do think he could potentially do it if he really decided to try. Green on the other hand is going to get tons of minutes and shots and touches on a garbage team, so he's going to be allowed to chuck if he wants, and he's a good enough scorer to push on that. Very much a score-first guy.

Suggs I think is also very unlikely, he's not a great on-ball guy in the half-court and Orlando has a bunch of guys they want to be getting minutes and possessions to.

I feel like a lot of the guys who are most able, in terms of ability and wiring, to average 20ppg+ right off the bat are just in scenarios where they won't have the opportunity. Like, if Cam Thomas was on Detroit instead of Cade and he was allowed to take 25 shots a night, he would absolutely do it and he would average 20+. But he's buried on Brooklyn's bench and probably won't get the minutes.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Nice profile of Trey
    https://virginiasports.com/news/2021...-next-chapter/

"'One hundred percent,' he said. 'That was the team that showed me the most love during the entire draft process. My dad was telling my agent that he wants me to play for the team that loves me the most, and my agent said, 'Well, he'll be playing in New Orleans then.''"

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I hope he's everything he appears to be. He's already got a shot. Just being able to get it off from different angles and rhythms is all he needs now. And off different dribbles. He could be closer to Durant than Ingram in sheer efficiency. And he's a better athlete to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I hope he's everything he appears to be. He's already got a shot. Just being able to get it off from different angles and rhythms is all he needs now. And off different dribbles. He could be closer to Durant than Ingram in sheer efficiency. And he's a better athlete to boot.
    He has potential, but let's let him step on the court before comparing him to Durant.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Nah I’m good. 50/40/90 rookie season? Hmm…

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    He has potential, but let's let him step on the court before comparing him to Durant.
    Ha - I'm a homer but I'll definitely agree with that one. He was a little inconsistent at UVa and honestly there were many of us who were (happily) surprised that he went so high. We should definitely temper expectations. But you'll like getting to know the young man.

trey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trey.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	6590  
    Last edited by neworleanshoo; 09-09-2021 at 09:51 AM.

I was in town last night and went to Pels/Wizards game and sat next to Trey?s mom, who was incredibly nice. One big takeaway from our conversation is that he?s not finished growing, and could still grow another couple inches. She also addressed he needs to get better at D in order to get more playing time. Kobe was his idol growing up, thus- a Lakers fan.

Thread Information