Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bye Lonzo

Bye Lonzo

So y’all like the deal? Griff showing his power!

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    I'm.........whelmed.

David Griffin?s mouth and media buddies will likely get him fired once again in a couple years. Everyone knows what the Pels will do weeks before they do it.

This is horrible, what an underwhelming end to all the speculation.

Had a good offer at the deadline when we had leverage and then it leaked away.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    This is horrible, what an underwhelming end to all the speculation.
    What? Two career 7 PPG scoring machines don't get you excited? Okay, how about another 2nd round pick that we can trade away for CASH CONSIDERATIONS to pay off the last coaches salary?

How can a blockbuster move like this not light the fire of fandom in your soul?
    Last edited by ragincaucasian; 08-02-2021 at 06:45 PM.

I'm glad we didn't match. That contract would have been an albatross. We basically got back scraps and I'm fine with that.

Good for Griff, at least we didn't lose Ball for nothing.

Hopefully Satoransky will be more consistent than Ball. Inconsistency drove me nuts. One game 8/11 next game 1/15. I'll take a consistent 3/10 or 4/10 every day.

Edited to add: When Ball signed with Klutch we all knew the writing was on the wall. Had we matched he would likely have been Puddin' 2.0

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    4/85? I’d be physically ill if we matched that.

I'm ESTATIC Zo is gone tbh. Feel like a horrible relationship with toxic friends is removed from my life. Wish him well though.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I'm glad we didn't match. That contract would have been an albatross. We basically got back scraps and I'm fine with that.

Good for Griff, at least we didn't lose Ball for nothing.

Hopefully Satoransky will be more consistent than Ball. Inconsistency drove me nuts. One game 8/11 next game 1/15. I'll take a consistent 3/10 or 4/10 every day.

Edited to add: When Ball signed with Klutch we all knew the writing was on the wall. Had we matched he would likely have been Puddin' 2.0
    I agree with not matching if we have a replacement in Dinwiddie lined up, but why couldn’t we get someone useful like Graham or even Markkanen?

Glad we didn?t overpay for an average player, and got back some quality depth. Opening up a possible back court of Kira and NAW?

Intriguing, wonder if the coaches are seeing a growth in Kira?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basketball is hard to see the value of a trade, at first. I'll wait and see what they do with the space before judging.

I'll miss Ball and his hard work ethic. I fully expect him to land an Eastern Conference All-Star spot, at some point.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Better than nothing I guess. Sat and Temple are just rotational players nothing exciting. I think it speaks to NAW being the future at guard.

Great return and better than losing him for nothing.

Put me in the "better than nothing" group. Doubt either player has much of an impact all season, but we'll see.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Get Dinwiddie and we will be pretty set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bye Lonzo stans. Bundle up. Will miss yall....well not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I agree with not matching if we have a replacement in Dinwiddie lined up, but why couldn’t we get someone useful like Graham or even Markkanen?
    Graham it is

Hall of Famer Contributor scedotal's Avatar
    Just getting rid of Lonzo makes us better. I thought he slowed the team down. I don't get how he is worth $20m a year.

Quote Originally Posted by scedotal View Post
    Just getting rid of Lonzo makes us better. I thought he slowed the team down. I don't get how he is worth $20m a year.
    Same reason people think flipping burgers is worth $15/hr. Its in the eyes of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by scedotal View Post
    SVG slowed the team down, not the players. It was clear this team wanted to run, but we brought in a coach that was the opposite of the skills of our players.

Quote Originally Posted by Wecandothis View Post
    Better than nothing I guess. Sat and Temple are just rotational players nothing exciting. I think it speaks to NAW being the future at guard.
    I feel like NAW has such an aggressive scorer's mentality we would be best served with him as our scoring punch off the bench, as our highest percentage chances are going to come with Zion and BI dominating scoring with the first unit, hindering NAW's natural aggressiveness... Then again, defenses would have trouble staying in front of three aggressive scorers in the first unit, but then I don't know where our bench scoring comes from...

EDIT: whoops, just now saw we got Devonte'!
    Last edited by SoCal4Pels; 08-04-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    Then again, defenses would have trouble staying in front of three aggressive scorers in the first unit, but then I don't know where our bench scoring comes from...
    Generally what teams do when they have multiple on-ball scoring threats is try to keep at least one of them on the court at all times. There's no sense in starting 5 guys, including all the main scorers, and then sitting them all at the same time.

Odds are that if we started a group of, say, Graham/NAW/Ingram/Zion/JV, either Ingram or Zion would go to the bench first for a bit while some subs come in. Then, after a few minutes of play, they'd swap around a few more guys, and so on. But one of Zion or Ingram would always be on the court, and to be honest, probably two of Zion/Ingram/NAW at all times.

That's assuming NAW is our third best scorer which may not be the case depending on how he develops his game. Obviously if he comes in as an on-ball guy that may be the case but if he spends more time off-ball as a c&s guy and doubles down on his passing and defense, it may not be the case.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Generally what teams do when they have multiple on-ball scoring threats is try to keep at least one of them on the court at all times. There's no sense in starting 5 guys, including all the main scorers, and then sitting them all at the same time.
    Lol yes true. Good point. Brain fart in my part.

I feel like Trey will make it into the starting unit with his defenseive and 3-pt potential sooner rather than later.

Thread Information