Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer League 2021

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Loved what I saw. The whole team actually giving a damn gives me hope that it will translate onto the real team. Don't need to say it but Murphy looks like a total stud. Loved what I saw from Kira and Naji. Didi and Herb made a significant difference on the. defensive side.

How about Alvarado? That dude is a DOG. I want him on the team, no question. Seeing him get into it with Dotson gave me Pat Beverley vibes.
    Yes, Alvarado. He looked good too. My goodness, he is a feisty something. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by PELSGIRL View Post
    Lol. I feel like he should have been there too but he did tweet out something when he saw Trey Murphy slam that ball down (which is a good sign). We know dude and his family on the fence so yeah we're going to have to expect this from him a bit early but hopefully he comes around and gives us his 100% as well.

I honestly think now just sign Josh Hart and we're good. Also loved to hear Graham and BI are going to get in the gym together.
    IMO we don’t need Hart with the current roster. We need another skilled PF. We might sign Hart because of lack of options but I won’t like it

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    IMO we don’t need Hart with the current roster. We need another skilled PF. We might sign Hart because of lack of options but I won’t like it
    In the new NBA, on bench units - how is Hart not a power forward? He rebounds as well as most starting power forwards and better than almost all bench ones. He is a fine shooter, not a great one, and is good in transition. Sounds like a "power forward" to me

The thought of positions really needs to die. Especially with staggered and bench units. Most of our best units, and most of the best units around the league for that matter, had 4 perimeter players and one big.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 08-09-2021 at 05:57 PM.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Maybe Lauri and then that's all. Even tho he may not be the best skilled like someone said we can't have enough shooters and Hart isn't the greatest shooter even tho Hart will give you a ton of effort.

Either or. Lol. I just wouldn't give up a 1st to get Lauri. Absolutely not.

As mentioned before, if there’s a sizable progression from our starters (including NAW) we are a really big headache in the west. A lot of what we want in trades may already exist if we actually get the calls deserved (Zion could EASILY average 30PPG if he gets those calls) and if BI and NAW improved even more. I’m telling you guys, we are gonna be a thorn in a lot of teams sides.

Trey actually understands his role already, it’s hard to say if Herb & Didi will be in the Gleague or not, but I’m anxious to see the growth.

Also, if Griff and Green can be on the same page, this team will be amazing.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Pelicans win, and Trey played very good. I hope this is the beginning of some great ball by the entire team. `

I know it is just one game but, DiDi better learn how to shoot if he doesn't want to end up in Birmingham.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    In the new NBA, on bench units - how is Hart not a power forward? He rebounds as well as most starting power forwards and better than almost all bench ones. He is a fine shooter, not a great one, and is good in transition. Sounds like a "power forward" to me

The thought of positions really needs to die. Especially with staggered and bench units. Most of our best units, and most of the best units around the league for that matter, had 4 perimeter players and one big.
    This makes a lot of sense, at least right now. Josh Hart plays big as any PF and can play relief minutes there any time. He’s an inch shorter than Draymond Green and only 15 pounds less. Hart is a better defender than Lauri. Plus Ingram can continue to move over to PF whenever Zion gets rest.

It might not be the ideal team every one wants on paper, but we definitely have a complete team

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post
    This makes a lot of sense, at least right now. Josh Hart plays big as any PF and can play relief minutes there any time. He’s an inch shorter than Draymond Green and only 15 pounds less. Hart is a better defender than Lauri. Plus Ingram can continue to move over to PF whenever Zion gets rest.

It might not be the ideal team every one wants on paper, but we definitely have a complete team
    Positions are a thing of the past. Skill sets are what matter. And Hart gives you what you need from a backup 4 defensively and helps the space more than an average backup 4 on the other end. Will a Kira - Sato- Ingram - Hart - Hayes lineup be perfect? No. But is it going to get killed by another unit with 3-4 reserves at the end of the 1st quarter? Probably not. I would bet it wins its minutes far more often than it loses them. And if you got a team with a killer PF/C off the bench, you play Hayes and Hernangomez together on those staggered units. You dont need a "backup PF" just to make your lineups look good when you type them out.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    I know it is just one game but, DiDi better learn how to shoot if he doesn't want to end up in Birmingham.
    He has been working with Fred Vinson for weeks. Shouldnt he be Steph Curry by now?

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Just came here to say WAHOOWA. Will be fun to follow Trey's progress - he'll have his ups and downs but this was a solid start.

Also Summer League ball has very little defense. Which isn't that far off from the regular season NBA I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Lol No way these dudes are not HUGE Travis Scott fans
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

What I liked about Murphy's performance is that he didn't just dominate weaker competition with superior size and speed. It was a lot of fundamentals that translate well to being a rookie who can contribute. Consistent 3pt shooting, aware off ball movement, drawing and converting FTs, rangey and complimentary defense.

It really looked effortless for him. He looked less like a guy trying to prove himself and more like someone very confident in his skills and focused on taking care of business.

A lot to like!

So Naji wasn’t impressive and now Hart is a power forward. Lol. He does get a lot of rebounds (some of them he steals from his teammates) and I guess he could play PF in small lineups but IMO only in certain limited situations and not regularly. I will stay with my opinion that we need a competent PF. I wish we kept James Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    Just came here to say WAHOOWA. Will be fun to follow Trey's progress - he'll have his ups and downs but this was a solid start.

Also Summer League ball has very little defense. Which isn't that far off from the regular season NBA I guess...
    I thought Pels played some very good D in the 4 quarter which made me excited about the rooks and the coach

So many teams are really happy with their lottery pick so far.. Just absurd how great this class was. I hope it translates to the regular season.
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-10-2021 at 01:15 AM.

I know it's only Summer League but the first game was really positive - commitment on the defense and playing team basketball - that's what I want to see every game !

And Trey - that was really impresive man! keep it up !!

Positions are a thing of the past. Skill sets are what matter. And Hart gives you what you need from a backup 4 defensively and helps the space more than an average backup 4 on the other end. Will a Kira - Sato- Ingram - Hart - Hayes lineup be perfect? No. But is it going to get killed by another unit with 3-4 reserves at the end of the 1st quarter? Probably not. I would bet it wins its minutes far more often than it loses them. And if you got a team with a killer PF/C off the bench, you play Hayes and Hernangomez together on those staggered units. You dont need a "backup PF" just to make your lineups look good when you type them out.
    So, you would be comfortable with Hart regularly defending 6'9" - 6'10 230-250 pound players? Also, it is one thing to rebound as a 6'5" SG/SF when you have bigs blocking out, but when you are the one blocking out much bigger guys, it becomes a bit tougher. I lkiek him in situations, but we are still think at that position.

He has been working with Fred Vinson for weeks. Shouldnt he be Steph Curry by now?
    Did Vinson do something to you personally?

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    So many teams are really happy with their lottery pick so far.. Just absurd how great this class was. I hope it translates to the regular season.
    Almost everyone is happy with their rookies after summer league. Can't get too high or too low based on those games. If so, Belinelli and Morrow would be in the HOF.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Seriously. At least once a month it’s the same “joke” or similar comment over and over.

I've spoken to a few people in the league who adore Vinson and think he'll be an offensive coordinator and associate head coach as early as next season. Pels had to give him a promotion in order to keep him on the staff. I guess we must have different sources. I think Mac is probably right about Aaron Nelson and his staff, but I believe, based on both the people I talk to as well as the basically universal praise from the media, that Fred Vinson is extremely good at his job. It may be some group think, and he may not be the absolute best, but he is definitely very very good.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I think the point is that it took years before Steph Curry started to become Steph Curry.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    I Know He is better than this. But you are right he better get it together or he will be in Birmingham!! But his DEE is great!!

Thread Information