Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer League 2021

#18 is big for nothing doesnt box out and slow feet

We've run a zone for a large bit of this game

BI in the building

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    He was consistently a leader in drives for the Pels when he got consistent minutes. Finishing ability is often times the last thing that materializes for players, just ask Dame. Also, don't fall trap to confirmation bias after one quarter of Summer League. Look at movement and feel over stats
    yea obviously I'm not going to put too much stock into a summer league game but it's ok to hope for/ expect drastic improvement and have hot takes. The rate of improvement for the guys most want Kira to become is incredibly high

its also not confirmation bias. i really liked Kira predraft but a lot of what I liked about him hasnt translated yet
    Last edited by Pelifan; 08-09-2021 at 02:39 PM.

Glaring lack of rebounding for this team so far. Would have been great to see Hayes with this unit

Only 3 guys from this game will get proper minutes

Didi, Kira and Naji

nobody knows how to box out on this roster

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Only 3 guys from this game will get proper minutes

Didi, Kira and Naji
    You don't think Murphy will get good minutes this year? I'd think even if all he did was come in and reliably hit catch and shoot 3's this season, he'd be an asset off the bench

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    You don't think Murphy will get good minutes this year? I'd think even if all he did was come in and reliably hit catch and shoot 3's this season, he'd be an asset off the bench
    He's very thin. While he's coming in as an older rookie, his first 2 years were at Rice, so he doesn't necessarily have a 21 year olds body. I'd hope we can avoid playing him too much until the second half of the season

Can't spell Naji without Jordan

I don't agree with Mac here. Rebounding has been disappointing, but self creation off the bench is super important.

Naji is so comfortable out there

Ever shot an airball so bad that it went in?

Almost wish they hold Naji out after this game. He'll be in the regular rotation.

Missed 3, give up transition layup the other way. Rinse and repeat.

Mac is going to say something like "people are going to look at the box score and think that Naji had a good game. I judge by the eye test." He's looked much better than anyone could've expected while on ball

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Mac is going to say something like "people are going to look at the box score and think that Naji had a good game. I judge by the eye test." He's looked much better than anyone could've expected while on ball
    No - I am going to say I couldnt care less about scoring. Especially in Summer League. Toppin is gonna average 20+ -- you want him? In games like this, I just watch what players do off the ball

Everyone can do what they want. We all have our own things we value
    @mcnamara247

Patrick Williams is crazy good

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    No - I am going to say I couldnt care less about scoring. Especially in Summer League. Toppin is gonna average 20+ -- you want him? In games like this, I just watch what players do off the ball

Everyone can do what they want. We all have our own things we value
    I'm just saying it was predictable lol. We saw Naji for 32 games last year and 21 mpg during those games. We know that he does a lot of those little hustle things. His handle looks like it has taken a further step forward, however, and that's a definite improvement. It's not as much the scoring as it has been his ability to get to his spots consistently

Naji looked impressive to me but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    Patrick Williams is crazy good
    By far the best player on the floor, as he should be. It's a shame that they now have Lavine, Lonzo, Derozan, and Vooch because I'd really like to see him on ball more. So similar to Kawhi's early years

well 4 rebounds for Murphy is pretty encouraging considering that was one of his major knocks. you can tell he's putting in the effort there

This game shows the Pels need for rebounding on the second unit, whether that be with Josh Hart or a more traditional 4.

Basketball.

Thread Information