Pelicans Report

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Summer League 2021

HANG THE BANNER
    Basketball.

Naji really good w/ these interviews. Lol.

Kings need to win by 20 to maintain the same margin of victory as the Pelicans. Boston just needs to win, currently down by 7.

Just pointing that out incase people want to actually call the Kings/Celtics game the "championship game" of summer league when there were two games of undefeated teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Shout out to the announcers. SO MUCH BETTER than the previous 2 games, my god. Huge difference.
    That was Channing Frye. His debut too! More of the big fella man
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I was very afraid of a return to "at least 50 threes a game" Gentry ball. Doesn't seem like that will be the case.

Very encouraged the coaching staff had a summer league team on a string defensively.

So hopefully that translates in October.

Channing was great

This summer league team was a pleasure to watch! They played hard defense, they passed to the open man, no egos, just great team basketball.
    I really hope the regular squad can duplicate this.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    Kings need to win by 20 to maintain the same margin of victory as the Pelicans. Boston just needs to win, currently down by 7.

Just pointing that out incase people want to actually call the Kings/Celtics game the "championship game" of summer league when there were two games of undefeated teams.
    The idea of a Summer League championship is kind of absurd when SL is set up in such a way that you can go entirely undefeated and not be the champion.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If the players on this SL team can play offense like the regular players, and the regular players can play defense like the SL players; the Pelicans can be in the top 4 seeds.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Can we just take a second to appreciate that a 50/40/90 guy who is also an elite defender fell into our laps at 17.
    Even before the draft, all anyone could say negative about his play was that he went to a smaller basketball school for his first two years. That was it.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    This summer league team was a pleasure to watch! They played hard defense, they passed to the open man, no egos, just great team basketball.
    Same here ! This was a great Summer League - hard defence and playing like a team … I’m so hyped right now!

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    Even before the draft, all anyone could say negative about his play was that he went to a smaller basketball school for his first two years. That was it.
    I was (and still am) open about the fact that he would not have been my first choice at 17 - I think there were higher upside plays on the board still. But he fits a need on the team, and it's a need a lot of teams have, and he fits it well. He can really shoot, and he can defend multiple positions well - regardless of whether he has the highest upside in the world, he's going to be a legitimate NBA player. Pretty confident in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I was (and still am) open about the fact that he would not have been my first choice at 17 - I think there were higher upside plays on the board still. But he fits a need on the team, and it's a need a lot of teams have, and he fits it well. He can really shoot, and he can defend multiple positions well - regardless of whether he has the highest upside in the world, he's going to be a legitimate NBA player. Pretty confident in that.
    Everyone is aware that you disliked the pick. You own it just like you own your BI 'expertise'. Stick with Kira!!

Out of respect for the people on here who don't want the Pelicans pick spoiled, I won't post it now before it's announced, but I will say that I am entirely meh about it.

Not upset, but not my first choice. Or my third choice.

Edit: in fact actually take that back, I am a little annoyed. Plenty of better options imo. Not a huge massive fail but yeah, a very D grade draft
    It feels a lot like we drafted for ''fit'' rather than for actually trying to find the best, most impactful player. Which is not a strategy I favour.

It also makes me feel somewhat uneasy about the upcoming season. If you think there are a ton of huge changes coming up, it doesn't make much sense to draft for the fit of last year's team.

Springer looked good in his last game making a myriad of mid range shots

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    His #1 knock was showing he could create off the dribble. It was a negative on Moody as well but he at least tried to do it at Arkansas.

Looks like Trey obviously has been working on his handle and it might have just been a case where Virginia's system was very restrictive.

So when do we play Sac Town in the Championship game?

Murphy will be back, right?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    His #1 knock was showing he could create off the dribble. It was a negative on Moody as well but he at least tried to do it at Arkansas.

Looks like Trey obviously has been working on his handle and it might have just been a case where Virginia's system was very restrictive.
    This is true, and an example of having to think about the college someone plays at before assessing their skills, which is something a lot of people (including me) forget at times.

For example, FSU players basically always look like good defenders. Are they good defenders, or are they just playing very specific learned roles in a good defensive system? Sometimes they are, but it's a thing you have to think about.

This is true, and an example of having to think about the college someone plays at before assessing their skills, which is something a lot of people (including me) forget at times.

For example, FSU players basically always look like good defenders. Are they good defenders, or are they just playing very specific learned roles in a good defensive system? Sometimes they are, but it's a thing you have to think about.
    Astute scouts (not me) figured out that Patty Williams last year was gonna be very good, despite not even starting for his Alum

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    Yeah I wish there was a few more games

Congrats to TM3 first team all-summer league.

Trey Murphy, New Orleans Pelicans

Murphy’s all-around contributions were at the center of the Pelicans’ success in Vegas: He averaged 16.2 points, seven rebounds and 2.8 assists while shooting 55.8% from the field and 44% from three-point range. While not a naturally creative player, Murphy took care of the ball and showed off quality standstill passing ability to go with his catch-and-shoot game. He added value defensively, as well, drawing tough assignments and holding his own. While Murphy was plenty effective at Virginia last season, the late-blooming forward has been even better than expected and could be a viable bench option for New Orleans in short order. He continues to make impressive strides.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Why do they like slightly undermine his accomplishments in every sentence like a frat guy hitting on a girl at a bar.

I be honest after watching Cam Thomas summer league... . Still wished we got him. No shame... I'd dump Kira for him on a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Astute scouts (not me) figured out that Patty Williams last year was gonna be very good, despite not even starting for his Alum
    Yep, though also with guys like Pat Williams it is very much an upside swing. It's a ''if he actually cashes in on X skill'' and ''if he actually works to improve Y'' issue. That's why very few people are panicking about him despite the fact that he's been awful so far in his career: he's a development project. Nobody expected him to be great immediately. Same with Pokusevski.

https://pca.st/episode/368b0a6c-92a8...f-7f9680c1a3d2

Good pod on Murphy. He was a 6’5” guard coming out of high school so no wonder he has good handles.
    Also, has anyone ever seen Cam Thomas smile? Never saw him do it at LSU.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

Naji was snubbed. Summer League mvp for the Pelicans.

Thread Information