Pelicans Report

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Summer League 2021

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    They interviewed Kuminga at halftime, pushing the narrative that he's the best player out there. Forced to interview Murphy at end of game because he was clearly the best player including getting the game winning shot.

By the way, through 4 games of summer league, Murphy only has 3 total turnovers and 3 total fouls.

Kuminga had 7 fouls and 4 turnovers just in this game.
    The Box Score doesn't lie.....

https://www.nba.com/game/gsw-vs-nop-...core#box-score

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    This team did great. They played better than most people give them credit for, and can definitely score.

Trey Murphy definitely looks like a top 10 pick. Kuminga will need some time to develop. He's only 18 still.

All things considered a very good SL showing for the squad all around.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Trey Murphy definitely looks like a top 10 pick. Kuminga will need some time to develop. He's only 18 still.

All things considered a very good SL showing for the squad all around.
    might there be another game?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I don't believe so.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    The problem is Didi and Kira can't shoot. At least not at a good enough clip and with any consistency. They're young, so it's ok. But I hope we see more consistency and real improvement by this time next year.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't believe so.
    it looks like there is a number to tbd games scheduled for Tuesday....

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    Tuesday at 6:30 vs the Timberwolves

https://www.nba.com/summer-league/2021/vegas/schedule
    Last edited by As I See It; 08-15-2021 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Tuesday at 6:30 vs the Timberwolves

https://www.nba.com/summer-league/2021/vegas/schedule
    Two championship games because this one is also two undefeated teams playing each other.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Say it again - we could have had Cooper who has 10 times the talent of Kira and Didi combined
    ok dude

Final Summer League numbers for the guys that matter (Sorry Pasecniks). Stats are shown in Points/Rebounds/Assists/Steals/Blocks order and Efficiencies are shown on FG/3PT/FT order. This is the main-line games: if we play again it will be a tie-break, so I don't feel bad about doing a roundup here.

Trey Murphy:
    Game 1: 26/9/2/0/0 on 9/15, 6/9, 2/2
    Game 2: 10/6/1/3/1 on 4/7, 0/3, 2/2
    Game 3: 7/7/7/1/2 on 3/9, 1/6, 0/0
    Game 4: 22/6/1/3/2 on 8/12, 4/7, 2/2

Didi Louzada:
    Game 1: 3/6/3/2/0 on 1/6, 0/3, 1/2
    Game 2: 8/2/3/0/2 on 3/5, 2/4, 0/0
    Game 3: 7/3/1/1/0 on 3/6, 1/4, 0/0
    Game 4: 4/1/2/2/0 on 2/9, 0/4, 0/0

Kira Lewis Jr:
    Game 1: 11/2/7/1/0 on 5/12, 0/4, 1/1
    Game 2: 12/5/5/2/0 on 5/10, 2/3, 0/0
    Game 3: 22/2/2/1/0 on 7/11, 2/3, 6/6
    Game 4: 4/2/8/3/1 on 1/11, 0/5, 2/2

Naji Marshall:
    Game 1: 18/5/2/3/0 on 8/15, 0/3, 2/2
    Game 2: 18/11/4/0/0 on 6/12, 3/5, 3/4
    Game 3: 16/11/5/3/1 on 6/15, 2/3, 2/5
    Game 4: 14/12/3/0/1 on 5/17, 1/3, 3/4

Herb Jones:
    Game 1: 6/5/4/2/2 on 1/4, 1/1, 3/4
    Game 2: 7/2/1/2/0 on 3/4, 0/0, 1/1
    Game 3: 8/5/1/3/1 on 2/8, 0/1, 4/6
    Game 4: 10/3/1/0/2 on 5/10, 0/0, 0/1

Final Averages - rounded up to 1 decimal place

Trey Murphy: 16.3pts, 7rbds, 1.8asts, 1.8stls, 1.3blks per game on 62.7%FG (27/43), 44.0%3PT (11/25), 100%FT (6/6)
    Didi Louzada: 5.5pts, 3rbds, 2.25asts, 1.3stls, 0.5blks per game on 31.0%FG (9/29) 20.0%3PT (3/15), 50%FT (1/2)
    Kira Lewis Jr: 12.3pts, 2.3rbds, 5.5asts, 1.8stls, 0.3blks per game on 40.9%FG (18/44), 26.7%3PT (4/15), 100%FT (9/9)
    Naji Marshall: 16.5pts, 9.3rbds, 3.5asts, 1.5stls, 0.5blks per game on 44.1%FG (26/59), 42.8%3PT (6/14), 66.6%FT (10/15)
    Herb Jones: 7.8pts, 3.8rbds, 1.8asts, 1.8stls, 1.3blks per game on 42.3%FG (11/26), 50.0% (1/2), 75.0% (9/12)

Best performer in this year's summer league (out of these 5 guys) was Trey to me. While I do think there's an argument that Naji was better, Trey shot 63/44/100 on some fairly tricky shots at times on solid volume, while maintaining a really active defensive presence and flashed some signs of positive passing and handling. As a rookie, that's really strong stuff - he's 2 years younger than Naji.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 08-15-2021 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Kira and Naji can enjoy that shenanigans in the gleague.
    bro, calm down. It's summer league. In no way shape or form is Naji playing the role he's playing now in actual games. Kira's not going to the G-League either, lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    bro, calm down. It's summer league. In no way shape or form is Naji playing the role he's playing now in actual games. Kira's not going to the G-League either, lmao
    Yeah, gotta temper the frustration a bit.

It's Summer League. Guys get asked to play roles that won't necessarily take in the regular season a lot of the time because it's basically just a ''lets throw stuff around and see what happens'' environment. Naji got asked to be on ball and create a lot. Will he do that in the regular season? Not really, and it's not like he needs to be ''humbled'' or anything because we saw him last season in a much more secondary roleplayer position and he was absolutely fine doing that. Assuming that some of this play in SL is due to arrogance or bad feel or something when we know he's perfectly okay with being a gritty roleplayer in the real NBA season is rather weird imo.

So Kuminga is the next Kawhi according to the Warriors commentators. Lol

Good win, shame we couldn't get it out to 11+

I like Naji getting the chance to go to work late even though it didn't really pay off. Herb looked good as Trey obviously does.

Love Alvarado's energy but he needs to give the ball up sometimes, several possessions the ball got to his hands and died there (twice at the expense of open 3s for teammates)... sure wasn't 0.5 offense

With another game Tuesday, I'd rather Kira, Naji, and at this point Trey all sit.

Dont need some dumb injury with training camp only about a month away.

Good to see Trey obviously been working on that handle as well. I can def see Trey >>> Mikal Bridges very soon.

3M3 will be the starting 2 (or 3 if BI slides over) by the All Star Break this year (his 3 ball notwithstanding, his defense will be sorely needed by this team). It would be nice if NAW could run as PG, but that may just be a pipe dream. Also, I'm glad we didn't chase DR or LK. I think 3M3 has a chance to be much better because of his defensive prowess.

Though, I think he is more of a finished product at this point than JAX was as a rookie, I think Herb Jones should spend at least the first half of the season in B'ham this year working on his offensive game. I hope we don't do to him what we did to JAX.

DiDi is no better than an end of the bench uniform IMO and I'm not drinking the Kira Kool Aid anymore; he's a mess. True he's only 20 yo and quick as a jackal, but he's still a mess.
    Last edited by As I See It; 08-16-2021 at 12:54 AM.

The guys fought for the SL final, they tried! I'm happy with their game!

3M3 will be the starting 2 (or 3 if BI slides over) by the All Star Break this year (his 3 ball notwithstanding, his defense will be sorely needed by this team). It would be nice if NAW could run as PG, but that may just be a pipe dream. Also, I'm glad we didn't chase DR or LK. I think 3M3 has a chance to be much better because of his defensive prowess.

Though, I think he is more of a finished product at this point than JAX was as a rookie, I think Herb Jones should spend at least the first half of the season in B'ham this year working on his offensive game. I hope we don't do to him what we did to JAX.

DiDi is no better than an end of the bench uniform IMO and I'm not drinking the Kira Kool Aid anymore; he's a mess. True he's only 20 yo and quick as a jackal, but he's still a mess.
    I think offensively it doesn't matter who slides, but on defense they'll probably switch a lot... It's probably going to be BI on the easier match up. Which makes sense, but we do need BI to take a leap defensivly, regardless. The same for Zion if his high efficiency scoring and ast% balance out his defense.

I love what I'm seeing from 3M3 but NAW broke me a bit with how great he looked his first summer league only to cool off since. I still like NAW, but the way he was playing that SL 2019 had us thinking he would be solidly contributing by Christmas.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/su...ns-Pelicans/19

3M3 is a totally different player. But I must protect my heart!
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I love what I'm seeing from 3M3 but NAW broke me a bit with how great he looked his first summer league only to cool off since. I still like NAW, but the way he was playing that SL 2019 had us thinking he would be solidly contributing by Christmas.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/su...ns-Pelicans/19

3M3 is a totally different player. But I must protect my heart!
    I feel like if we keep our expectations to him being a good at hitting catch and shoot threes, along with not being a complete liability on defense, he can easily hit that this season. I don't think we need as much from him as we expected from NAW coming in.

Yeah Naji was probably asked to take way more repsonisbility than he’s used to for several reasons. Glad Trey showed up on both sides of the ball in summer league. Herby has also impressed me. Kira impressed me in other games but he needs to show more consistency.

This Summer League team wasn't really built for Kira. He needs to play off of another creator in the half court while handling point duties in the open floor. If Naji ever passed the ball, I think it could've worked a little bit better.

The thing I noticed about Kira in this SL is he has absolutely no confidence in his left hand. He's always trying to find a way to get back right. I think the Pels are going to emphasize his shooting in his off season developmental programs, but I think personally I would be trying to clean up his handle

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    This Summer League team wasn't really built for Kira. He needs to play off of another creator in the half court while handling point duties in the open floor. If Naji ever passed the ball, I think it could've worked a little bit better.

The thing I noticed about Kira in this SL is he has absolutely no confidence in his left hand. He's always trying to find a way to get back right. I think the Pels are going to emphasize his shooting in his off season developmental programs, but I think personally I would be trying to clean up his handle
    This summer Kira has proven one thing to us all. Tomas Satoransky, who has yet to slip on a Pel's uniform, should be the Pelican's back up point guard to DGraham.

This summer Kira has proven one thing to us all. Tomas Satoransky, who has yet to slip on a Pel's uniform, should be the Pelican's back up point guard to DGraham.
    There's no "backup point guard". If Sato is on the team, he and Kira will both be in the rotation and play backup guard minutes. Your 4 man guard rotation would be NAW, Graham, Sato, and Kira with Murphy playing some 2.

I try not to hate on the SL broadcasts too much because there really isn't much to talk about outside of the 2 or 3 draft picks in a game, but man was yesterday unbearable. Had to mute after the 2nd qtr.

I did die laughing though when the one guy said he would not trade a D League rookie straight up for Ben Simmons lololol

Thread Information