Pelicans Report

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer League 2021

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    But the thing is TM3’s shot usually is falling.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Probably my favorite play from TM3 tonight. How he pursued the rebound off the miss.

Kira and 3M3 the standouts of this game

Kira too me just feels he needs to going like an old truck engine . The longer he plays... The better he gets. He doesn't do short burst minutes well at all. Always comes in out of sorts. Then, he comes here and gets nice runs to play through mistakes and settles down and plays ball.

TM3 to me got SG potential to me. Those handles are smooth and vision way better than I expected.

Kira continues to look good this SL. I really don't know what people are expecting with him on the floor with other young players. All things considered he's looked great on both ends.

Murphy is long and did a good job on Mobley. Other parts of his game starting to show.

Of all his "types" in this draft (Moody, Kispert, Duarte), I'd say Trey has looked the best considering none of them could guard someone as long as Mobley. Even at this stage.

The really good point guard 'sees' the play before it happens. This is why the jury is still out on Kira. Though he had 22 points today, he only had two assists and two turnovers (1:1). This just isn't good enough.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Naji, Didi, Herb, Kira, Murphy3 all impressed me. I love that Kira and Herb have the Alabama connection. They have some chemistry imo. I love the vibe I?m getting from these guys, they seem to play together like a group that just does what it takes to win. Murphy3 looks like he?s going to start eventually.

I think when you look at the young players we have: NAW, Hayes, Kira, Murphy3, Didi, Herb etc?. When you look at this group it?s reasonable to expect one of these guys to become a starter and possibly a star player. If we want to make a blockbuster trade later in the season for Lillard we have a lot of assets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    The really good point guard 'sees' the play before it happens. This is why the jury is still out on Kira. Though he had 22 points today, he only had two assists and two turnovers (1:1). This just isn't good enough.
    Okay, SVG.. Don't understand why gotta trash a player after a solid game. I know you'll die defending your takes, but can you at least wait for a bad game lol

So, when is the next summer league game?

Per previous SL games, summer Pels looked a lot better in 2nd half than in the first.

Hope this means they are responding to coaching. An early moment I liked was Coach Green taking a timeout when it appeared starters were walking into the game. Too often last season I thought SVG would just let the players try to work things out, like you might do with a veteran squad. For young Pels, I think coach has to exert more control, push more buttons.

Continue to like how active both Herb and Murph are on defense. Neither shot the ball particularly well tonight, but still hustled and defended. Hope this is an indication that new coaching staff will be able to modify the defensive DNA of the Pels in a way SVG could not. We'll see.

Kira looks a little stronger to me, a little surer of his role. I'd be happy with him and Devonte soaking up most of the minutes at lead guard.

Didn't like how Naji played in first half, forcing shots, missing open teammates. Thought he got back to playing a good all around game in second half.

Love watching Alvarado bulldog at the point. Not sure he ever plays in the NBA, but I'm glad he's in the organization. And who knows, we've seen some undrafted, undersized PGs make it into the league. J.J Barea, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Naji, Didi, Herb, Kira, Murphy3 all impressed me. I love that Kira and Herb have the Alabama connection. They have some chemistry imo. I love the vibe I?m getting from these guys, they seem to play together like a group that just does what it takes to win. Murphy3 looks like he?s going to start eventually.

I think when you look at the young players we have: NAW, Hayes, Kira, Murphy3, Didi, Herb etc?. When you look at this group it?s reasonable to expect one of these guys to become a starter and possibly a star player. If we want to make a blockbuster trade later in the season for Lillard we have a lot of assets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I now have to wonder if Lowry didn't want to come here, would Lillard? I would love for him to be here but I don't know if we would be one of his destination spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    So, when is the next summer league game?
    Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by PELSGIRL View Post
    Sunday.
    Wish SL had like 10 more games.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Wish SL had like 10 more games.
    That would be great. Especially for our guys to get to know each and practice together as a team. The more the better.

I missed the game you guys. And looks like Kira beasted

Stats can be misleading as they don't paint the full picture of how Kira played. Easy enough to look at a box score and go only 2 dimes which admittedly isn't great for a PG but at the same time Naji and Murph and others spent time initiating the offence more so than the other 2 games. Also the box score doesn't show how many potential dimes were missed off Kira dishes. He played within the flow of the game and never really pushed it to hard which in the past has proven problematic for Kira. I think it's harsh to go he didn't play well. honestly if we can get that sort of overall production from him night in and night out who would be complaining? For context Kira did post 7 and 5 assist in the past two games.

Speaking of Murphy I loved his work on both sides of the floor. He is active in the lane when opposition guards drive into his area and he has the abiility to switch onto bigger players quite well. He did have a few plays matched up against Mobley and although Mobley got a bucket or two on him he his defence looked rock solid although Evan hitting some toughish shots. Even with his shot not falling tonight he was able to impact the game in other ways which is exactly what you want from a 3 & D type of player. His rebounding looks pretty decent as well, he doesn't mind grabbing a board in the middle of a pack and that little nifty behind the back dribble when running the fast break in the 2nd half shows he has some instincts in leading the break. I think Griff and co nailed it with TM3.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Kira looked really good. In fact all "the guys" (non-filler players) had good moments.

A few observations having just watched the game... obviously this is just Summer League

Kira- looks like it is coming together for him, getting more comfortable in the paint (something Lonzo still isn't)
    Naji- playing hard, looking like a leader, seems to be working on expanding his offensive game.
    Trey and Herb both looking good, both play within themselves and Herb looks to impact the game in many ways that don't involve scoring.

2 Way guys: 1 of them looks great-love the hustle, the other one looks like he would struggle in the Aussie NBL. Pretty easy to figure out which I'm talking about.

Moses Wright looking far more deserving of a 2 way than Hommes, albeit not as good a fit. Obviously both 2 way guys aren't going to be asked to do a lot assuming we are destroyed by injuries

2 guys we could have had, instead of having to fund the the SVG severance payment in Cooper and Boston, are having very good Summer Leagues

I wish there was a downvote on this forum so I could use one here

We have a good summer league roster. Very very very top heavy, but it’s good enough to carry us through the games. Very happy with how Kira has looked. Seems very comfortable in driving and kicking out. It all comes down to his finishing at the rim.

Can he be enough of a threat in the NBA at finishing to draw attention? That will be the biggest determining factor for me. I’d like to see his 3 ball keep coming along as well, but his pace will always make him a threat inside if he can finish. I think his vision has been solid.

Kira has never had trouble breaking defenses with his speed even when he finished poorly last season. He creates chaos because he can get anywhere on the court and does it fast. As long as he continues to have good ball security, he's going to create a lot of opportunities on the perimeter.

Missed the game last night. Sounds like Trey did well without his shot falling, again. So that's good. Was he just getting bad looks/tough shots? It seemed like that in game 2. Game 1 he had great looks all game.

Thread Information