Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer League 2021

Broadcast crew shows a graph of the # of OKC future picks without mentioning how most of those have steep protections. They had 2 going into this draft and only ended up with 1 because of protections.

Most of those picks are gonna be outside the lottery.

Loving the 5 guys I actually want to watch, but Alvarado or whatever his name is, is fun to watch. Hopefully he can make our G league team as the starting PG. Didn’t watch the first game just the highlights.

Murphy is a stud. Dude is active and always around the ball. Can shoot lights out. Much rather him than just a shooter like Kispert. Not just a 3 & D guy, but can do those really well.

Kira looks ok. Like that he hit some 3s, but the turnovers stink. But he’s still so young for a PG tho. Think Willie will help him a lot this year.

Naji looks like Naji. Rotation player without a doubt

Jones also active and around the ball as well. Just didn’t get why we took two small forwards in the same draft.

Didi looks ok. Think Jones & Didi should be are 2-way guys.

i love that Kira isn't afraid to drive and take a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    In the new NBA, on bench units - how is Hart not a power forward? He rebounds as well as most starting power forwards and better than almost all bench ones. He is a fine shooter, not a great one, and is good in transition. Sounds like a "power forward" to me

The thought of positions really needs to die. Especially with staggered and bench units. Most of our best units, and most of the best units around the league for that matter, had 4 perimeter players and one big.
    Yea because he can?t guard PFs. Some of you are taking this whole position less basketball to far. Yes guys can play certain positions running in small ball units and other things. Hart gets rebounds like this because he is out hustling his guy and not having to consistently do it over someone 6?9 or taller. I guess Russell Westbrook might as well play center I mean come on.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So, you would be comfortable with Hart regularly defending 6'9" - 6'10 230-250 pound players? Also, it is one thing to rebound as a 6'5" SG/SF when you have bigs blocking out, but when you are the one blocking out much bigger guys, it becomes a bit tougher. I lkiek him in situations, but we are still think at that position.
    Exactly! Your position is more about who you guard and yes positions absolutely exist. Every single team in the NBA builds their teams and active lineups based off of positions. Just because teams throw in lineups at times without a traditional PF does not mean the league is position less. People keep saying this yet can?t find one real example outside of the Rockets last year because they really had no choice.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Alvarado reminds me of Zach De La Rocha, which instantly makes me like him.

Murphy, Alvarado, and Herb got some sticky hands.

TO we're kind of rough to be honest, tho. All in all... Still a great game. Murphy looks special when active

Another game, another generally good showing from the SL Pels.

Sure, some of the supporting case suck, as is always true of Summer League (Pasecniks... c'mon) but the main guys showed stuff.

Murphy showed what he can do when the 3pt shot isn't falling, hitting some good floaters, making some solid passes, generating steals.
    Kira hit some shots from deep and managed to get some stuff inside the arc to fall, again some steals, his hands are great.
    Naji continues to just look like an NBA player, one of those ''yeah, he's clearly just better than everyone else'' guys that you see in SL sometimes who are just beyond this level of play.
    Herb wasn't quite as momentous in terms of racking up blocks and steals this game as last, but he was efficient from the floor, passed well, and played some solid defense as well which is good to see continuing.
    Didi found a lot more success this game than in the first one, hitting some shots and making some nice passes.
    Basketball.

Is the summer league weird complaining about Kira done or just on hiatus?

I really like Herb Jones so far. Great pick.

Trey Murphy showing he can do it inside the arc off the dribble...at least in SL. That was nice to see. He's been working.

Dont need to say anymore about Naji.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Another game, another generally good showing from the SL Pels.

Sure, some of the supporting case suck, as is always true of Summer League (Pasecniks... c'mon) but the main guys showed stuff.

Murphy showed what he can do when the 3pt shot isn't falling, hitting some good floaters, making some solid passes, generating steals.
    Kira hit some shots from deep and managed to get some stuff inside the arc to fall, again some steals, his hands are great.
    Naji continues to just look like an NBA player, one of those ''yeah, he's clearly just better than everyone else'' guys that you see in SL sometimes who are just beyond this level of play.
    Herb wasn't quite as momentous in terms of racking up blocks and steals this game as last, but he was efficient from the floor, passed well, and played some solid defense as well which is good to see continuing.
    Didi found a lot more success this game than in the first one, hitting some shots and making some nice passes.
    This is why Zion needs to be patient. These young guys are good. Include Naw, Jaxson and ofc BI in there. Pels gonna be great.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Alvarado reminds me of Zach De La Rocha, which instantly makes me like him.
    It's gotta be either.....

Mugsy Alvarado

or

Spud Alvarado.

Say what you want about Griff, but dude can draft. Well except Jaxson IMO. Guys like him shouldn’t go top 10 anymore. You can find bigs like him later in the draft nowadays or in free agency. I like him as a player, but doubt we make that pick again if we had the chance.

Now NAW, Kira, & Murphy all look like great picks. And maybe Jones & Didi end up in the rotation down the road.

Just wish we could of kept RJ Hampton last year

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I have been unable to watch either game, but can anyone share what a little more about Hommes and what earned him a contract? I think I saw something about him showing off in practice maybe....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    It's gotta be either.....

Mugsy Alvarado

or

Spud Alvarado.
    He is listed a 6 feet tho. Not sure i'm believing that...

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I have been unable to watch either game, but can anyone share what a little more about Hommes and what earned him a contract? I think I saw something about him showing off in practice maybe....
    Summer League shouldn't be something that gives you opinions on what players are ultimately good at, nor should a handful of SL practices. Hommes shot 47% from 3 on over 400 attempts in college (also 85% from the line on over 400 attempts).

Last year he played for Vanoli Cremona in Euroleague ball where he shot 43% from 3 on 7 attempts per game (and 86% from the line).

He hasn't been able to hit broad side of a barn for us but he is at least historically a capable shooter and at 6'8 why not take a swing at that as a 2 way guy if you have nothing else going on?

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    He looked to be well below average at pretty much everything, in the first game. Didn't get to watch second game.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Summer League shouldn't be something that gives you opinions on what players are ultimately good at, nor should a handful of SL practices. Hommes shot 47% from 3 on over 400 attempts in college (also 85% from the line on over 400 attempts).

Last year he played for Vanoli Cremona in Euroleague ball where he shot 43% from 3 on 7 attempts per game (and 86% from the line).

He hasn't been able to hit broad side of a barn for us but he is at least historically a capable shooter and at 6'8 why not take a swing at that as a 2 way guy if you have nothing else going on?
    thanks for the input... I am not renouncing him and I have actually watched some video on him.... looks pretty capable to me and I was just wondering what others were thinking....

Just because said player doesn’t always light it up in summer league and plays better during the season doesn’t mean you can’t take opinions away from the game. These games are played for a reason and you can bet there are lots of people that actually matter forming some sort of opinion from these games. No it’s not the defining factor for players but it absolutely matters and can give you a good idea of someone’s skill set.

You know, I'm so glad we gave Naji that contract. We have him for at least the next 3 years on super cheap money. A legitimate rotation wing who can play spot minutes at the 4, shoot a little, defend hard, pass, for less than $2m a year. Then, by the time his contract is up, if we still have him and he's panned out how we hope, we can give him a pay rise off bird rights without any issue.

You know, I'm so glad we gave Naji that contract. We have him for at least the next 3 years on super cheap money. A legitimate rotation wing who can play spot minutes at the 4, shoot a little, defend hard, pass, for less than $2m a year. Then, by the time his contract is up, if we still have him and he's panned out how we hope, we can give him a pay rise off bird rights without any issue.
    So unlike this year's draft of 3M3, which you graded as a D, I guess Naji signing might be a D+ in your eyes, maybe?

Out of respect for the people on here who don't want the Pelicans pick spoiled, I won't post it now before it's announced, but I will say that I am entirely meh about it.

Not upset, but not my first choice. Or my third choice.

Edit: in fact actually take that back, I am a little annoyed. Plenty of better options imo. Not a huge massive fail but yeah, a very D grade draft

Enjoying the energy and intensity showed by these youngsters

I had forgotten what it looks like to pull for players that look like they actually enjoy playing defense

A sloppier outing than the first game, but still fun to watch the young guys get some run.

Tracking Herb Jones from the SEC last year through these two games he looks like the same guy--a very smart defensive player who can guard multiple positions who is a little underrated as an athlete. I just have an inkling he's going to have a bench role for the club. I think his 7'+ reach and good feet make him a viable front court role player, even to playing some small ball center as he did at the end of the game tonight. I don't see him playing SF in the NBA, though his position will be fluid.

Also think Jones, Murphy and Naji make an interesting troika on the floor. All are active, long guys who play smart team basketball. Don't know how much run they can realistically get together in the real season, but I wouldn't rule it out...

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Yea because he can?t guard PFs. Some of you are taking this whole position less basketball to far. Yes guys can play certain positions running in small ball units and other things. Hart gets rebounds like this because he is out hustling his guy and not having to consistently do it over someone 6?9 or taller. I guess Russell Westbrook might as well play center I mean come on.
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So, you would be comfortable with Hart regularly defending 6'9" - 6'10 230-250 pound players? Also, it is one thing to rebound as a 6'5" SG/SF when you have bigs blocking out, but when you are the one blocking out much bigger guys, it becomes a bit tougher. I lkiek him in situations, but we are still think at that position.
    I wanted to respond with the same when I saw the post last night, but haven't had a chance to. Run with Hart as your 4 and it's BBQ chicken alert!

And he's not a "fine shooter" either. It's a win for defenses if Hart is shooting. His primary strength is attacking the defensive boards and pushing the basketball for easy buckets before the defense is set. That's about it. Meh

Quote Originally Posted by socbe7 View Post
    I wanted to respond with the same when I saw the post last night, but haven't had a chance to. Run with Hart as your 4 and it's BBQ chicken alert!

And he's not a "fine shooter" either. It's a win for defenses if Hart is shooting. His primary strength is attacking the defensive boards and pushing the basketball for easy buckets before the defense is set. That's about it. Meh
    You guys all need to do a better job researching reserve units. If you think most play with two bigs (or what you guys call a "power forward" and a "center"), you are mistaken. And the most successful reserve and staggered units overwhelmingly feature 4 perimeter players and 1 big.

But sure.....we need a backup power forward. Whatever helps you guys feel good about the roster and its symmetry
    @mcnamara247

Thread Information