Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trey Murphy III Scouting Report (Video)

Pelicans Trey Murphy III Scouting Report (Video)

I like the pick...
    Last edited by DroopyDawg; 07-29-2021 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Oops

Great pick - I like it!

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    I was locked out most of the night but finally in to say WAHOOWA. So thrilled to finally have a UVA player on the Pels and doubly thrilled because I think Trey is a great fit.

Honestly most of us (UVA fans) were pretty surprised to see his meteoric rise up the draft boards only because despite his measurables, it was based on relatively limited minutes and production after only one year. But that said, most of us believed if he had stayed, he would be a top 10 pick next year.. particularly after another year to learn Tony's system.

Team player, smart, quiet and humble, great shooter (if a little streaky), a ton of raw potential. Won't wow you but you'll check the stats after the game and be impressed.

I love this pick. Perfect for what we need. Gives us an elite shooter and makes our defense very versatile having 3-4 guys capable of guarding each others man at anytime. Man if Murphy can be a hit and man that SG position and be a knockdown 3pt shooter while providing good defense then this team will be in good shape.

This group from the starters to bench players looks like it is going to be fun!
    Starters - Lonzo/Murphy/BI/Zion/Jonas
    Bench - Kira/Didi/NAW/Hart/Naji/Gabriel/Hayes
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 07-29-2021 at 10:48 PM.

He'll be a fine rotation player, and I buy the shot. Wouldn't have been my first choice but I'm sure he'll find a way to contribute on the team.
    Basketball.

Yeah, dude won't be starting for a few years atleast, but I think he can contribute early as a rotational guy and he provides great spacing and defensive versatility, which are both things we needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He'll be a fine rotation player, and I buy the shot. Wouldn't have been my first choice but I'm sure he'll find a way to contribute on the team.
    But you graded the draft a D. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    I was locked out most of the night but finally in to say WAHOOWA. So thrilled to finally have a UVA player on the Pels and doubly thrilled because I think Trey is a great fit.

Honestly most of us (UVA fans) were pretty surprised to see his meteoric rise up the draft boards only because despite his measurables, it was based on relatively limited minutes and production after only one year. But that said, most of us believed if he had stayed, he would be a top 10 pick next year.. particularly after another year to learn Tony's system.

Team player, smart, quiet and humble, great shooter (if a little streaky), a ton of raw potential. Won't wow you but you'll check the stats after the game and be impressed.
    You're now officially required to post regularly.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I love this pick. Perfect for what we need. Gives us an elite shooter and makes our defense very versatile having 3-4 guys capable of guarding each others man at anytime. Man if Murphy can be a hit and man that SG position and be a knockdown 3pt shooter while providing good defense then this team will be in good shape.

But if we can get Barnes out of Sacramento .

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    Much better than Zion ‘ s reaction when he got drafted. Glad everyone is happy.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    In the past I have been negative about of many decisions made by the Pelicans front office, especially when it comes to trades and FA acquisitions. So I want to say, I'm really loving the Trey Murphy pick! I think he is exactly what the team needs. A player we can trust to knockdown three pointers and play good defense. I think we got one here.

Yeah I don’t give the Pelicans a “D” like another poster did. I think this will work out nice.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Much better than Zion ‘ s reaction when he got drafted. Glad everyone is happy.
    Zion cried when he was drafted. Also, he knew from day one he was getting selected there.

Murphy can guess, but still completely unsure where he’s getting drafted so there’s still a lot more shock and excitement.

Dae's "D" Man!!!

I have been pretty adamant that Murphy would have been a top 10 pick without question if he was one year younger. He probably would have challenged for the top 5.

I think it was time that we picked an old guy. We've taken 3 swings in the last 3 drafts, and they all seem to be able to play. Now it's time to start getting some contributors and shooters on rookie deals.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post

He won’t play SG, he’ll be at Tweener SF/PF like Robert Covington/ Tobias Harris

Transcriptions of those vids:

Murphy on playing with Zion:

''When someone has gravity like that and they're able to pass so well and see the floor, makes it so much easier for guys like me. I feel like my cutting ability is something that's going to be beneficial to Zion. My man might be ballwatching and I can cut backdoor and get a dunk, or spotting up at the 3 point line and be able to space the floor for him is pretty important. So, I'm really excited to play with all the guys but especially someone with a polarising gravity like him.''

Murphy on excitement surrounding New Orleans

''Really, just speaking basketball wise, you have guys like Zion and Brandon Ingram, they're going to attract one and a half guys. So when I'm able to help space the floor and give those guys even more room to operate, if my man goes to help they're able to kick out and it's a knock down three, so looking at that aspect and then being around a team that's a young core it brings a lot of life to the city. As well as, you know, there's a lot of energy on the court and in the arena, so I'm really excited to get on the court with those guys.''

Murphy on being drafted by the Pelicans

''Well, the Pelicans have always showed me a lot of love throughout the process, and my agent was telling me ''the Pelicans really like you a lot so they're moving back to 17'' was pretty good for my case. They were saying I was in pretty good standing going into the draft so I had a pretty good feeling about New Orleans at 17 when it came to that time and then I got the call from my agent and I knew what time it was.''

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    He won’t play SG, he’ll be at Tweener SF/PF like Robert Covington/ Tobias Harris
    Yeah, he's legit 6'9 and he moves like someone who is legit 6'9. He's not a plodder or anything but playing him at the 2 would be pretty wild.

Here's the full video. He comes across extremely well in this. Here's some more transcription:

Tell us about your game

''I always try to do everything on the court and I want ot make sure that I don't have any deficiencies in my game. Playing defense was something I didn't do my entire life to be honest with you but going to Virginia you have to play defense so I took a lot of pride in it, being there, and we repped it out a lot and I became a much better defender and now I enjoy playing defense a lot. So I know that'll be something that will keep me on the floor, obviously my shooting will get me there but keeping me on the floor will be my defense.''

How much did Virginia's reputation for defense influence your decision to transfer there?

''It was probably a top 3 reason for why I went to Virginia. I knew that if I wanted to become a better NBA prospect I would have to defend at a higher level so going to the best defensive school in America was my best option. And then playing in ACC country, where I grew up my entire life, made it a much easier decision.''

Thoughts on the city

''I love food. So that's something that will be very appealing to me, I'm very excited for the beignets and the gumbo. I'm not going to eat it too much because it's obviously not the healthiest thing to eat but I'll be getting my fair share.''

Last 24 hours for you

''In all honesty, I was very calm the entire day. I wasn't really nervous but then when it got to about 7:50 or so and I saw the draft on the TV screen that's when I started getting nervous, I was doing a little foot tap and all that. I didn't really have any control over the situation so there was no reason to be nervous but it's something you look forward to your entire life so it's a dream come true.''

You were 5'8 as a highschool freshman. When did you think the NBA was a realistic thing for you?

''My sophomore year in college. Pretty late, it was pretty late.''

Do you think you can guard 1-4?

''100%, I definitely think I can guard 1-4. What it takes to be successful is that you have to watch a lot of film, which I really enjoy, and you have to give a lot of effort. But at the end of the day it's basketball, your job on defense is just to make it tough, make them make tough shots, and sometimes you just have to live with that and I feel like I'm going to make it tough on every single person I guard.''

"Polarizing gravity"? i know he went to Rice and UVa, but sheesh...

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    "Polarizing gravity"? i know he went to Rice and UVa, but sheesh...
    To the surprise of absolutely nobody, I like the verbosity.

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, I like the verbosity.
    Kendrick Perkins: "Say what"?

Thread Information