Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trey Murphy III Scouting Report (Video)

I am intrigued by our picks. While I’m not sure on our plans for Herby fully loaded this year, both of them theoretically can make an impact defensively from the bench and I can see Murphy being a useful rookie offensively. If we are going all out to bring in vet help at PG and maybe bring back Hart, Murphy makes much more sense as the pick here. Maybe a reach, but it is what it is and I’d like both guys to do well.

Very much an aside, but I really hate how the NBA has these kids being drafted by the teams that aren't really drafting them. I get the why of it happening. I know it's because trades can't be finalized, yet. But they need to be. That vid should say he was drafted by New Orleans. He should be putting on a Pels hat. Make that moment special.

And HOLY WOW on that Herby Fully Loaded reference, JJ. Haha. Blast from the past.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Very much an aside, but I really hate how the NBA has these kids being drafted by the teams that aren't really drafting them. I get the why of it happening. I know it's because trades can't be finalized, yet. But they need to be. That vid should say he was drafted by New Orleans. He should be putting on a Pels hat. Make that moment special.

And HOLY WOW on that Herby Fully Loaded reference, JJ. Haha. Blast from the past.
    Yeah that's very annoying, the NBA should fix that asap. It's something a minor league would do.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I have been pretty adamant that Murphy would have been a top 10 pick without question if he was one year younger. He probably would have challenged for the top 5.

I think it was time that we picked an old guy. We've taken 3 swings in the last 3 drafts, and they all seem to be able to play. Now it's time to start getting some contributors and shooters on rookie deals.
    Yea I agree. He is a 6’9 SG who is athletic and actually plays defense. With those shooting numbers being very good he easily could have been a top 10 pick. His only real issue I see is not being a great shot creator. The good thing is that is one of the last things I think we need is someone who needs the ball more. We don’t need a 3rd dominant ball handler and scorer like Zion and Ingram but someone who can create a lot of space and make his shots. He will make life easier on our best players by making teams pay when they try to double.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 07-30-2021 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    He won?t play SG, he?ll be at Tweener SF/PF like Robert Covington/ Tobias Harris
    No I think he’s a SG/SF. No way is he a tweener as a PF. Now I could see us run lineups at times where he is in there with a group of guys where you could say a few are the “PF” in the lineup. Calling him a SF/PF tweener is like falling Ingram a SF/PF tweener. Harris and Covington have much different builds and skill sets.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 07-30-2021 at 08:05 PM.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    The good thing is that is one of the last things I think we need is someone who needs the ball more. We don?t need a 3rd dominant ball handler and scorer like Zion and Ingram but someone who can create a lot of space and make his shots. He will make life easier on our best players by making teams pay when they try to double.
    That's a really good point. Trey won't be the one demanding the ball. He'll come in humble, grateful for the opportunity, and trying to make his teammates better & find his place. If he can become a consistent shot-maker, it'll draw defenders away from Zion and Ingram and give them the space they need. I do have a concern about him being aggressive enough on the offensive end to create his own shot.. that is not his strength. But we won't really need him to do that.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    No I think he?s a SG/SF. No way is he a tweener as a PF. Now I could see us run lineups at times where he is in there with a group of guys where you could say a few are the ?PF? in the lineup. Calling him a SF/PF tweener is like falling Ingram a SF/PF tweener. Harris and Covington have much different builds and skill sets.
    Agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

Yes it is so stupid and IMO kind of ruins that night for that player. Knowing you are going to New Orleans but having it announced on TV as being drafted by the Grizzlies. Not only that but they don’t even mention the pick being traded or anything. It makes absolutely no sense and I’m very surprised Silver hasn’t made a change to it.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    That's a really good point. Trey won't be the one demanding the ball. He'll come in humble, grateful for the opportunity, and trying to make his teammates better & find his place. If he can become a consistent shot-maker, it'll draw defenders away from Zion and Ingram and give them the space they need. I do have a concern about him being aggressive enough on the offensive end to create his own shot.. that is not his strength. But we won't really need him to do that.
    Yea in the video he even talks how he’s excited to come in and help guys like Zion by hitting the open shots when he passes it to him. Also how Zion and Ingram take 1 1/2 guys to guard so he can take advantage of that. So he sounds like he already knows his role. Eventually I think he has the ability to take people off true dribble and would like him to so people respect it but it’s not something we need badly.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    He won?t play SG, he?ll be at Tweener SF/PF like Robert Covington/ Tobias Harris
    Based on his height that is true, but the Pelicans are built around Zion at PF and Ingram at SF. The Pelicans need 2 main things out of the SG, knock down spot up shots from the perimeter and play great defense. If Murphy is the guy to do those two things, then he can fit on the floor with Ingram, Zion, and Valanciunas. That's where the opportunity to contribute is on this team.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Yea I agree. He is a 6’9 SG who is athletic and actually plays defense. With those shooting numbers being very good he easily could have been a top 10 pick. His only real issue I see is not being a great shot creator. The good thing is that is one of the last things I think we need is someone who needs the ball more. We don’t need a 3rd dominant ball handler and scorer like Zion and Ingram but someone who can create a lot of space and make his shots. He will make life easier on our best players by making teams pay when they try to double.
    well said!

No I think he’s a SG/SF. No way is he a tweener as a PF. Now I could see us run lineups at times where he is in there with a group of guys where you could say a few are the “PF” in the lineup. Calling him a SF/PF tweener is like falling Ingram a SF/PF tweener. Harris and Covington have much different builds and skill sets.
    On paper but since Zion is our PG Murphy will play SF off the bench and a stretch 4 when he’s on the floor with Zion IMO

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Based on his height that is true, but the Pelicans are built around Zion at PF and Ingram at SF. The Pelicans need 2 main things out of the SG, knock down spot up shots from the perimeter and play great defense. If Murphy is the guy to do those two things, then he can fit on the floor with Ingram, Zion, and Valanciunas. That's where the opportunity to contribute is on this team.
    I see it differently, with Zion as a PG

I don't believe in Zion point guard

Cooper and Zion would have been money

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I don't believe in Zion point guard

Cooper and Zion would have been money
    Agreed.

May be a longshot, but don't write off 'Mugsy' Alvarado too quickly. The kid is a warrior and always seems to 'find a way'. We need more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Agreed.

May be a longshot, but don't write off 'Mugsy' Alvarado too quickly. The kid is a warrior and always seems to 'find a way'. We need more of them.
    Ok I won't

I always find it really weird when people talk about Zion on the ball as a gimmick or a joke, when running it gave us the leagues best offense (as in, we were literally the Number 1 offensive rating in the league for like 5 weeks there). We went 16-8 in the 24 games where Zion had at least 5 assists this year, and it wasn't just against scrub teams: we beat the Clippers twice, Bucks, Sixers, Suns, Mavs, Nets, Pacers, and Jazz in those games.

Not saying Zion needs to be on the ball 100% of the time (he absolutely does not) but I think people see it as a gimmick literally just because of the point Zion name. If nobody had ever said Point Zion, and instead we just talked about allowing our best player to play on-ball more, nobody would see it as controversial.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I always find it really weird when people talk about Zion on the ball as a gimmick or a joke, when running it gave us the leagues best offense (as in, we were literally the Number 1 offensive rating in the league for like 5 weeks there). We went 16-8 in the 24 games where Zion had at least 5 assists this year, and it wasn't just against scrub teams: we beat the Clippers twice, Bucks, Sixers, Suns, Mavs, Nets, Pacers, and Jazz in those games.

Not saying Zion needs to be on the ball 100% of the time (he absolutely does not) but I think people see it as a gimmick literally just because of the point Zion name. If nobody had ever said Point Zion, and instead we just talked about allowing our best player to play on-ball more, nobody would see it as controversial.
    Why is this in the Murphy thread?

Why is this in the Murphy thread?
    Someone said Murphy is going to be a SG, I (and some others) disagreed and said he's more likely going to be a forward given his size and movement skills, so someone brought up him actually playing SG because Zion is PF, so someone else was like ''but what about when Zion is PG!'' and other people were like - pshhht forget that gimmick! And here we are.

Someone said Murphy is going to be a SG, I (and some others) disagreed and said he's more likely going to be a forward given his size and movement skills, so someone brought up him actually playing SG because Zion is PF, so someone else was like ''but what about when Zion is PG!'' and other people were like - pshhht forget that gimmick! And here we are.
    Positions are obsolete as an absolute framing tool

It's all about the skill sets

They say Murphy can guard 1 through 5, so what position does that make him? Point guard? Centre?

It's a relic denomination or nomenclature
    Last edited by AusPel; 07-31-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Positions are obsolete

It's all about the skill sets

They say Murphy can guard 1 through 5, so what position does that make him? Point guard? Centre?

It's a relic denomination or nomenclature
    I know, which is why I'm saying we should stop calling it Point Zion and just call it ''putting your best player on ball more''.

I'm very sceptical of Murphy's ability to guard top level NBA 1s, though obviously it would be nice. I think he's more of a 3 position guy (SG/SF/PF) in defense, which is not a bad thing at all and still can be very valuable. I think with the exception of Houston's absurd mega small lineups where everyone was 6'6/6'7, that's what Robert Covington is and he's extremely valuable.

Will Murphy ever be as top tier a defender as Covington? Hard to say, Covington is/was (he's fallen off a bit) absurdly incredible at team defense, but the fact that the potential is there is good to me. I'm looking forward to seeing how Murphy fits into the league, I think he'll be good.

I cant believe people still talk about positions in 2021
    @mcnamara247

I know, which is why I'm saying we should stop calling it Point Zion and just call it ''putting your best player on ball more''.

I'm very sceptical of Murphy's ability to guard top level NBA 1s, though obviously it would be nice. I think he's more of a 3 position guy (SG/SF/PF) in defense, which is not a bad thing at all and still can be very valuable. I think with the exception of Houston's absurd mega small lineups where everyone was 6'6/6'7, that's what Robert Covington is and he's extremely valuable.

Will Murphy ever be as top tier a defender as Covington? Hard to say, Covington is/was (he's fallen off a bit) absurdly incredible at team defense, but the fact that the potential is there is good to me. I'm looking forward to seeing how Murphy fits into the league, I think he'll be good.
    But will he be good enough in the Zion timeline?

Maybe

We are harder on the clock than any other number 1 pick before Zion. Massively harder
    Last edited by AusPel; 07-31-2021 at 10:20 AM.

I know, which is why I'm saying we should stop calling it Point Zion and just call it ''putting your best player on ball more'.
    Haha. True.

I don't think "Point Zion" is ever going to leave, though, and it's purely because it sounds cool and people like using the term.

When we go into 'Point Zion Mode', there are four more spectators in the arena.

Thread Information