Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NBA Draft Day - 29th July

Draft 2021 NBA Draft Day - 29th July

Here we are, it's the day of the draft. Obviously we're still a long way out in terms of hours, but the day is here and the time is nigh.

Something has to happen today. Whether we trade the pick, or make the pick, we will have at least the semblance of something. Similarly, draft night is often when many other deals go down for other teams: do we see a Ben Simmons, SGA, or Damian Lillard trade tonight? Now's when we find out.

Looking forwrad to this one.
    Basketball.

lmao didn't take long

Old friend Cash Considerations returns. I'm super neutral about this honestly. Yeah I generally don't like moving picks for petty cash but it's #53 and we have 3 other second round picks so it's really not a big deal.

Swin Cash bringing her relatives over

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Swin Cash bringing her relatives over

4 picks left now....how many guys from the 2021 class to you think the Pels will have on their roster, have on a 2-way, and/or have their rights to and have stashed when all is said and done?
    @mcnamara247

They got $2 million for such a late pick. Wow. Griff paying Gayle back some of SVG's salary.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    4 picks left now....how many guys from the 2021 class to you think the Pels will have on their roster, have on a 2-way, and/or have their rights to and have stashed when all is said and done?
    Wouldn't surprise me if we only end up with a 2-way and stash player. I can see us trading the 1st in a trade for a future pick and 2 seconds combined to get a stash we like with the later pick being a 2-way/G Leaguer.

Man. Not many. I'll say two on the roster and only one gets some minutes on the court during the season. None get serious or moderate playing time. I do feel like most players drafted the next few seasons are more likely to be trade fodder than anything else.

Kinda hard to get excited for it with that mindset and the USMNT playing Qatar at the same time.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 07-29-2021 at 09:36 AM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I'm expecting us to also sell off 51, probably also for cash.

Then combine 43 and 35 to get up into the late first (say, 28th or something) and then trading that for a late first/heavily protected first for next year or something, just kick the can down the road, or trading it with a player - Lonzo or Hart in the S&T? - for something?

That way we go from having 5 picks in the draft (17, 35, 43, 51, 53) to having 1 pick in the draft (17) and potentially another heavily protected late first for next year or the traded player we wanted.

Cause there's no way we're actually signing and rostering 4 guys tonight. I can see one, and I would prefer us to get one (barring a mega trade or something) but 4? Not happening.

There goes another asset

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    There goes another asset
    The fact we got 2 million for pick 53 is amazing

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    There goes another asset
    Don't know about you, but $2 million shows that it certainly was an asset.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    someone suggested it might be for Jaxon's bail.... just kidding!
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

I don’t know how the G league works, but now that we have a team can we put as many players on it as we want or only the 2 two way players? Cause if we could I rather keep all our picks, but I doubt that is the case

I still believe, with the proper trading partner (non playoff-contender), the Pelicans move 17 for a potential top five protected lottery pick in 22 unless Kispert or Murphy are still hanging around. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we move back into the mid-20's this year and by using all or some combination of of our remaining second rounders in an attempt to pick up a slider. So I say one addition to the main roster and possibly one on a two way (or stashed).
    Last edited by As I See It; 07-29-2021 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I don’t know how the G league works, but now that we have a team can we put as many players on it as we want or only the 2 two way players? Cause if we could I rather keep all our picks, but I doubt that is the case
    We can put any given players on it (as long as they agree to play and aren't contracted by another team) but unless we have them on a 2 way deal, another team can sign them away at any point, I believe. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Seems weird that Philly would make that trade now without knowing who's available at 53.

Every year we get a number of really ridiculous player comparisons on draft here. Here's a prediction for some of them; might wanna make a bingo card.

I'm still physically cringing from when Billups told everyone on national television that Hachimura was the next Giannis. Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Seems weird that Philly would make that trade now without knowing who's available at 53.
    They may need it for a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Don't know about you, but $2 million shows that it certainly was an asset.
    We are going to drive this 2nd round pick argument to the ground and I'm here for it

Rui's only 23. Give him a few more years.

Total sarcasm

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    lololol. OUCH

...well, Duh

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    I don't think it's about exactly who is available at that point

Thread Information