Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Jaxson Hayes arrested after domestic call turns into brawl with LEO

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    For real. Even if Hayes did push a cop first - which we have no real reason other than the cop's words to believe, and they've hardly earned themselves much goodwill
    So you throw all cops in the world into one pile based on some highly publicized bad ones?

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    The video starts with Jaxson Hayes' hands behind his back as he says "I'd like your badge number" which is immediately followed by a taser to the heart. I don't need more video to know what's going on here.
    Really?

He was tased twice while on the ground with no weapons. Get this crap all the way out of here. "Generally not a good idea to start pushing cops" is so telling.
    By all means, teach your kids that it’s okay to put your hands on police officers who are in course of performing their job duties. I’ll teach my kids to comply and have their date in court. Let’s see whose children avoid being tased.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So the 37 seconds of video put out by a friend of Jaxson's is all you need to know to conclude definitively? I hope Jaxson is not at fault, but we should be able to tell definitively when the body camera footage is released.
    There's no at fault here. Forget everything that you want to assume happened before the video started. In the video, Jaxson was not an immediate deadly threat to the cops, thus the use of excessive and possibly fatal force was unjust and illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    By all means, teach your kids that it’s okay to put your hands on police officers who are in course of performing their job duties. I’ll teach my kids to comply and have their date in court. Let’s see whose children avoid being tased.
    I'm a lawyer. I know all too well what have your date in court means for a lot of these guys

So you throw all cops in the world into one pile based on some highly publicized bad ones?
    Cops have ALWAYS been given the benefit of the doubt. There's an implication of public trust. What has always been true, but we are only now beginning to learn as a society at large is how often that trust is broken. They are human just like everyone else. They have repeatedly covered up for bad cops. They do not deserve the trust they've been given as a default.

Not going to get into a debate about it in the thread. You want to know more about how and why I throw all cops into a pile, DM me.

People love to throw around the ''it's just a few bad apples'' quote without remembering how that saying ends. ''A few bad apples spoil the bunch.''
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Cops have ALWAYS been given the benefit of the doubt. There's an implication of public trust. What has always been true, but we are only now beginning to learn as a society at large is how often that trust is broken. They are human just like everyone else. They have repeated covered up for bad cops. They do not deserve the trust they've been given as a default.
    I agree there have been coverups and there are trash cops. But, I cannot put all of them in one bucket and judge them as a group. That would assume that there are no good ones.

I agree there have been coverups and there are trash cops. But, I cannot put all of them in one bucket and judge them as a group. That would assume that there are no good ones.
    There are plenty of good cops. What it means is that you can't "just take their word for it." The trust has been broken.

There are plenty of good cops. What it means is that you can't "just take their word for it." The trust has been broken.
    Good cops tend not to stay good cops very long. Either they stop being good, or they stop being cops.

Good cops tend not to stay good cops very long. Either they stop being good, or they stop being cops.
    Also: A good cop who covers for a bad cop is a bad cop.

I'm a lawyer. I know all too well what have your date in court means for a lot of these guys
    As a lawyer, you should know that lawyers don’t have a great reputation amongst the public either. Does that mean we can summarily dismiss you as a bloodsucking, ambulance chaser because others are? Or, should we just judge things on a case by case basis?

Completely disagree, but go on.

As a lawyer, you should know that lawyers don’t have a great reputation amongst the public either. Does that mean we can summarily dismiss you as a bloodsucking, ambulance chaser because others are? Or, should we just judge things on a case by case basis?
    Depends on the type of lawyer, honestly. Public defenders are cool.

Also: A good cop who covers for a bad cop is a bad cop.
    Agree

You can call me whatever you want. I entered the field perfectly knowledgeable of the stigma and embrace it. If I am bad at my job, I'm held accountable.

Depends on the type of lawyer, honestly. Public defenders are cool.
    All public defenders are cool? Pretty sure there are gonna be some people in prison who disagree with you on that one.

You can call me whatever you want. I entered the field perfectly knowledgeable of the stigma and embrace it. If I am bad at my job, I'm held accountable.
    Not calling you anything. Simply said that I won’t judge you because of your profession’s reputation. That’s a good thing.

Not calling you anything. Simply said that I won’t judge you because of your profession’s reputation. That’s a good thing.
    It's not cops as individuals who are being attacked. It's this status as a protected class. Their word is treated as infallible and there is an implicit trust there that's been shown to be abused repeatedly. Not everyone does it, but that layer of protection should be removed.

If you want to take things on a case by case basis, this is a bad case for the LAPD

As you should and so should cops. But I would not group all lawyers together just as I would not group all cops together and judge as a group.

All public defenders are cool? Pretty sure there are gonna be some people in prison who disagree with you on that one.
    Kind of off topic so I won't go into it too far here but yes, I'm far far more willing to be neutral about a public defender than a cop.

Public defender: can be good or bad, and the role they play is at least on paper a good one.
    Cops: Cannot be good because the role they play is, on paper and in execution, a bad one.

If you want to take things on a case by case basis, this is a bad case for the LAPD
    You may well be right, but is it okay if some of us want to reserve judgment until we see the body cam footage?

Yes. Just like always protecting yourself when frequenting ladies of the night, you should go into every police situation complying but also recording and cautious because the job itself encourages the bad appling just like you should treat every encounter with a lawyer cautiously because their job attracts and encourages bloodsuckers.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

You may well be right, but is it okay if some of us want to reserve judgment until we see the body cam footage?
    Unless Hayes was at one point brandishing a deadly weapon, there's nothing that another video could do to support the use of a taser and excessive force to the head or neck area for over two minutes, imo.

Thread Information