Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Jaxson Hayes arrested after domestic call turns into brawl with LEO

The charge they actually cite was "resisting arrest". Is it possible to be charged with resisting arrest, without being charged with some other crime as well? I mean, if he didn't commit another crime, WHY were they trying to arrest him in the first place?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    The charge they actually cite was "resisting arrest". Is it possible to be charged with resisting arrest, without being charged with some other crime as well? I mean, if he didn't commit another crime, WHY were they trying to arrest him in the first place?
    It is different than what was initially reported I believe. More info:

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/penal-code/69/

Penalties

A violation of this code section is a wobbler offense, meaning that it can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony.

If charged as a misdemeanor, the offense is punishable by:

up to one year in county jail, or
    misdemeanor (or summary) probation.
    If charged as a felony, the offense is punishable by:

up to three years in county jail, or
    felony (or formal) probation.

This is going to eventually be a misdemeanor at worst given everything we've heard I would imagine.

I’ve been as big of a Jax supporter as anyone, but hopefully this serves as a wake up call

I know he’s young and I’d personally forgive anyone that made a silly mistake here and there. It happens. Young and dumb. But the real world doesn’t always work that way. Acting like a fool when you have so much on the line isn’t worth it. Hopefully he learns from it.

I’m betting on him probably getting probation. But I wonder how long the league will suspend him??

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan23 View Post
    I’m betting on him probably getting probation. But I wonder how long the league will suspend him??
    As long as the domestic incident is nothing serious the answer should be no time at all. When Willie Reed got charged with domestic violence in 2017, the league suspended him a total of 6 games, and that was something he was guilty of.

Stephen Jackson only got suspended 7 games for felony criminal recklessness, shooting guns off during a fight. Metta World Peace only got 7 games suspended for pleading guilty to domestic violence. Darren Collison only got suspended 8 games for pleading guilty to battering his wife.

If actually pleading guilty to battering your wife costs you less than a month's worth of games, then as long as the domestic incident is only something minor - an argument, a noise complaint, etc - then Jax shouldn't be suspended at all.

Of course it if is something serious - like domestic violence - then I personally think that should get you kicked from the league forever, but that's just my take.
    Basketball.

I think they'll allow the Pels to handle it internally as long as theres no domestic violence. I'd probably say a 2 game team suspension to start the season.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I?d assume these charges will either be dropped or reduced. The only issue here is the domestic issue. NBA is non-tolerative of these issues, and rightly so.
    Jason Williams not the DA of LA

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Jason Williams not the DA of LA
    Yea I don't think that matters in Jax's case. He's being charged with "suspicion of resisting arrest" give me a break

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Crud. Hopefully it's on video and the police look more out of line than Jaxson. The domestic violence angle may end up hurting him more than the battery on the police. But if there is video and it doesn't look good for Jaxson, my guess is he may end up getting cut.
    Why do you "hope" the police look more out of line?

The issue that I find in the report is that they were trying to enter the house to talk to the ?victim? of what I assume was the domestic dispute
    The witness reports stated something about how she was trying to keep the cops outside as well and the thing she was screaming did not sound like she was being attacked. All evidence points to no domestic dispute so the insistence to continue down this path is puzzling.

I totally agree with you that I hope he uses this as a moment to grow from, though.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by harschman View Post
    Why do you "hope" the police look more out of line?
    Because he's a fan of the Pels/Hayes?

Historically they do, of course. But in the past year or so they have made steps in the right direction here.
    Based on what though?

In two years he JAX has had two threads on here solely dedicated to him and neither was for his on the court play.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    In two years he JAX has had two threads on here solely dedicated to him and neither was for his on the court play.
    His heart is going to hurt if we trade or cut him.

Police press releases can be really biased towards protecting police, I mean this is the kind of press release that could come out when police beat up on someone for no reason at all.
    The fact that possible force to Hayes neck is admitted is a red flag for me. I'm not going to judge.

Whatever happened though I hope Jax learns from it.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Arrested for "suspicion of resisting arrest" has to be the funniest thing I've ever heard

Arrested for "suspicion of resisting arrest" has to be the funniest thing I've ever heard
    ultimate sigh

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Because he's a fan of the Pels/Hayes?
    I'm a fan as well, but I'm not going to root against the police because it's the cool thing to do now. I would hope the police officer reacted in an appropriate way, however I do understand that is not always the case. I'm just not going to root for the police officer to be in the wrong, that's just wrong fan or not.

I'm a fan as well, but I'm not going to root against the police because it's the cool thing to do now. I would hope the police officer reacted in an appropriate way, however I do understand that is not always the case. I'm just not going to root for the police officer to be in the wrong, that's just wrong fan or not.
    so... you'd rather Hayes be in the wrong... than a random cop?

Cops no longer will ever get the benefit of the doubt from me. Too many times has that trust been misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    so... you'd rather Hayes be in the wrong... than a random cop?
    Whatever happened has already happened. There is no rooting for either one.

TMZ obtained a video of it from Hayes friend. Looks pretty bad for the cops. Don’t know how many times people need to see evidence of cops abusing their power before people finally understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    TMZ obtained a video of it from Hayes friend. Looks pretty bad for the cops. Don’t know how many times people need to see evidence of cops abusing their power before people finally understand it.
    At this point a cop's statement means less than nothing. From here on out, they need video or they're lying as far as I'm concerned. Sorry, just tired of this **** happening over and over.

Yeah the video is pretty hard to watch. Fairly clear abuse of power in my opinion. I'm no lawyer and I certainly don't know local American law, but from just a ''who looks like the side in the wrong here'' perspective, it would be extremely difficult to watch that video and come down supporting the police.

Thread Information