Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Jaxson Hayes arrested after domestic call turns into brawl with LEO

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    As you should and so should cops. But I would not group all lawyers together just as I would not group all cops together and judge as a group.
    Again, it's not about lumping them all in together. It's about removing this presumption of infallibility. It's about making them just as accountable for their actions as the average citizen.

Can we all pause for a bit to appreciate that there's a guy named LAWLESS stanning for cops.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Unless Hayes was at one point brandishing a deadly weapon, there's nothing that another video could do to support the use of a taser and excessive force to the head or neck area for over two minutes, imo.
    Was there another video? The one I saw was only 33 seconds long (or 37).

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Can we all pause for a bit to appreciate that there's a guy named LAWLESS stanning for cops.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Again, it's not about lumping them all in together. It's about removing this presumption of infallibility. It's about making them just as accountable for their actions as the average citizen.
    No one is suggesting otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    No one is suggesting otherwise.
    But it's not the reality we live in. That's why the outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I would even make the argument that they should be punished more harshly than a civilion in legal matters. Most other professions are severely punished for abuse of power. That they get slaps on the wrist is insane.

Complete mischaracterization of “stanning” aside, awesome observational humor, snarky optimistic guy! You’re a regular Larry David. Keep that witty insight coming!

Are we just gonna ignore the cops attacking the camera guy at the end that wasn't doing anything but filming?

Complete mischaracterization of “stanning” aside, awesome observational humor, snarky optimistic guy! You’re a regular Larry David. Keep that witty insight coming!
    I think I'm allowed a misuse of slang handicap of 3.5 due to age. That should put it within bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Are we just gonna ignore the cops attacking the camera guy at the end that wasn't doing anything but filming?
    Nope, and as pelafanatic mentioned earlier in the thread, the right to film cops is actually very much legally protected. That was just a cop trying to threaten and intimidate someone doing something perfectly legal.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Because the cop didn't attack him. The first cop kept was screaming at the guy to back up because he was inching closer to the scene to film it as the police were trying to cuff Jaxson. Then, two backs up cops (who were called for assistance) arrived at the scene running full speed to assist. The guy filming is standing right in front of the doorway to the house where the arrest is taking place. He got pushed aside by one of the cops. No attack occurred.

Because the cop didn't attack him. The first cop kept was screaming at the guy to back up because he was inching closer to the scene to film it as the police were trying to cuff Jaxson. Then, two backs up cops (who were called for assistance) arrived at the scene running full speed to assist. The guy filming is standing right in front of the doorway to the house where the arrest is taking place. He got pushed aside by one of the cops. No attack occurred.
    No. That last cop was very clearly going around the filmer when he reached out at the camera and yelled "turn it off". There is no other way to spin that.

No. That last cop was very clearly going around the filmer when he reached out at the camera and yelled "turn it off". There is no other way to spin that.
    Clearly, there is a way to spin it if people are portraying THAT as an "attack" of the camera guy. He got pushed aside and dropped his phone because he was blocking the officers' path. The man was filming directly in front of the entrance to the house where the arrest was taking place. And, while you're allowed to film the police, you absolutely cannot obstruct police activity while doing so.

Clearly, there is a way to spin it if people are portraying THAT as an "attack" of the camera guy. He got pushed aside and dropped his phone because he was blocking the officers' path. The man was filming directly in front of the entrance to the house where the arrest was taking place. And, while you're allowed to film the police, you absolutely cannot obstruct police activity while doing so.
    Watch again, the cop was already passing the guy when he lashed out. Had someone made that same motion at a cop, I would bet money you would be saying "the cop was justified because the guy attacked him".

Watch again, the cop was already passing the guy when he lashed out. Had someone made that same motion at a cop, I would bet money you would be saying "the cop was justified because the guy attacked him".
    The cop wasn't pass the camera man. He was clearly extending his arm outward to push the guy aside before any contact was made and while still in full view of the camera. You can easily see both the cop's face and extended palm before contact is made. Kinda impossible to get that shot if the cop "was already passing the guy."

You're way too comfortable making blanket assumptions about people you don't know. Saying that I'm "stanning" for the cops because I said I'd wait for the body cam footage before casting judgment. Or, betting that I'd justify police misconduct because I don't believe the camera man was "attacked." You don't know me, but you assume the most negative portrayal of my views. I thought you were supposed to be a "Snarky Optimistic Guy." Lighten up.

.......he even screams "turn it off"......like.....not "get out of the way"........but "turn it off".......

Why do you have 7 cops there for a domestic dispute between two people? Quit making excuses for these scary crooked cops
    I'm a grinder

.......he even screams "turn it off"......like.....not "get out of the way"........but "turn it off".......
    Sounds like it could be "turn around" to me, but fair enough. I won't dispute that. However, what does that prove? As I said before, you don't have the right to obstruct police activity while filming. If you're standing a few feet away from an active arrest and cops have to maneuver around you to get to the scene, that certainly qualifies.

So, what's more likely then?

1) The cop was trying to make sure there was no video of the arrest knowing that each of them were wearing body cams that could be subpoenaed? Or,

2) That the cop was trying to get the camera man to put down the phone, realize that he's in the way of an active arrest, and immediately get him the heck out of there?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Hope Hayes is ok. He was making great progress. Hope he gets to have a normal season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    The police union sent a 4 page letter to Adam Silver and Gayle Benson urging them to punish Jaxson. One of the things they want him punished for is using the N-Word... https://t.co/f3HDIKMBgg pic.twitter.com/HAUDvYbJ8u? Shamit Dua (@FearTheBrown) August 9, 2021
    At this point, a letter from the police union would likely only increase the chance that Hayes gets nothing in the form of punishment. Can you imagine the blowback by players league-wide if the NBA were to institute a punishment based on a statement from the LAPD Police Union?
    Last edited by DarkHornet; 08-09-2021 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    While the use of the "N-word" is not acceptable, what does it say about the other charges if this is the item they really want the NBA to act on? I would have thought it was the felony charges. Maybe they do not feel they have the "proof" of those charges?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    While the use of the "N-word" is not acceptable, what does it say about the other charges if this is the item they really want the NBA to act on? I would have thought it was the felony charges. Maybe they do not feel they have the "proof" of those charges?
    Seems like the cops are trying to salvage the situation to me by bringing up something petty in hopes to make Jax seem in the wrong. The police probably overstepped and hopefully the NBA doesn’t overreact.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I don't get the strategy at all. Why would they care what the NBA does? That's not their job.

Thread Information