Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: MAJOR TRADE: Pelicans / Grizzlies

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Sad, because OKC was looking to offload Adam's 30 million expiring contract and we was the only team dumb enough to give up assets and not give back salary. Particularly Bledsoe.
    Agree. Reports were that OKC would have to attach assets to unload him. Griffin came running in and gave up a 1st and 2-3 2nds instead. Mind-boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not a huge fan of investing a lot in Lowry (reportedly he is looking for fully guaranteed 3/$90 million). Looking for and getting are two different things, but Pels likely have to overpay to get him over contenders. Not sure I would call Robinson a big move either. While I would like to have a shooter like him on the team, he is pretty one-dimensional and I would expect will cost as much or more than the shooters from last year (i.e. more than 4/$72 million).
    Who do you want then?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Yeah, utter ********ing insanity to pay OKC 3 draft assets to take 30 mil Adams off their hands. Then double down with the extension

It's definitely on a par with 5/60 for Asik

This is a championship winning GM by the way, not some n00b like Dell was
    Time to move on. The picks we sent out were a lottery protected future first from Denver and the 24th pick in the draft who was RJ Barrett. Sure they are draft assets, but at the end of the day they are not on par with 5/60 for Asik, which handicapped us for 5 years.

Adams was a mistake, it's not the end of the world

Agree. Reports were that OKC would have to attach assets to unload him. Griffin came running in and gave up a 1st and 2-3 2nds instead. Mind-boggling.
    Why do people even consider 2nd round picks an asset. We have four of them this year and I couldn't tell you how we even got them. Mirotic maybe?

Who do you want then?
    If we could get Lowry on a 2 year deal, I would feel better, but doubt it. If not a 3 year deal at $6o-$65 million would be more palatable.

Not sure who could be available in trade. Certainly SGA and OG would be near the top, but sounds like neither will be available. I like taking a chance on Sexton over committing so much to Lowry. Long shot with Green coming here would be CP3 if I were going for an older veteran PG as a leader. I think Fournier could come cheaper than Robinson but to be honest, I would keep Ball if salaries were close. The tie breaker, as much as I hate to say, would be Zion likely being happier with Ball. Powell could be a nice fit if not too expensive. If we had enough cap, McConnell would be a nice bench piece. One player I would really NOT want is Shroder.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Why do people even consider 2nd round picks an asset. We have four of them this year and I couldn't tell you how we even got them. Mirotic maybe?
    Because they can be used in trades. If they had no value, teams would not demand them in trades.

Griff needs to get Mirotic to come back. Miss that dude.

Time to move on. The picks we sent out were a lottery protected future first from Denver and the 24th pick in the draft who was RJ Barrett. Sure they are draft assets, but at the end of the day they are not on par with 5/60 for Asik, which handicapped us for 5 years.

Adams was a mistake, it's not the end of the world
    I'll forgive but not forget

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Is it possible to get Robinson and Lonzo, or Robinson and Sexton?

I'll forgive but not forget
    lol fair

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Is it possible to get Robinson and Lonzo, or Robinson and Sexton?
    Sexton becomes more interesting to me now that we have this much space because he's only making 6 million this year. How would we feel about Lonzo and 17 for Sexton and Nance? At that point we would still have room for Duncan Robinson.

You've now added Jonas, Sexton, Duncan Robinson, and Larry Nance

The following players were second round picks:

- Nikola Jokic
    - Draymond Green
    - Willis Reed
    - Dennis Rodman
    - Alex English
    - Tiny Archibald
    - Manu Ginobili
    - Mark Price
    - Gilbert Arenas
    - Toni Kukoc
    - Jeff Hornacek
    - Michael Redd
    - Nate McMillan
    - Mark Gasol
    - Paul Millsap

While it's obviously true that second round picks are less likely to secure you a great player than a first round pick (and picks in the 20s are less likely than the 10s, and 10s are less likely than top 5s, etc) there's always that chance you can dig out a diamond that someone else has missed and the cost of acquiring 2nd round picks is low so if you have a developmental system like a G League team or are willing to stash overseas, you can really just take tons of bites at the cherry and never really lose out on anything. It's found money if one of them turns out to be a guy, so why not collect them if you can?
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

- Nikola Jokic
    - Draymond Green
    - Willis Reed
    - Dennis Rodman
    - Alex English
    - Tiny Archibald
    - Manu Ginobili
    - Mark Price
    - Gilbert Arenas
    - Toni Kukoc
    - Jeff Hornacek
    - Michael Redd
    - Nate McMillan
    - Mark Gasol
    - Paul Millsap

While it's obviously true that second round picks are less likely to secure you a great player than a first round pick (and picks in the 20s are less likely than the 10s, and 10s are less likely than top 5s, etc) there's always that chance you can dig out a diamond that someone else has missed and the cost of acquiring 2nd round picks is low so if you have a developmental system like a G League team or are willing to stash overseas, you can really just take tons of bites at the cherry and never really lose out on anything. It's found money if one of them turns out to be a guy, so why not collect them if you can?
    Right but if you can trade them for a player that will make an impact, I think you do it every time. These picks are free come draft night. $2 million can get you like the 37th pick in any given year

I reckon second rounders up to 40 are still good

Right but if you can trade them for a player that will make an impact, I think you do it every time. These picks are free come draft night. $2 million can get you like the 37th pick in any given year
    Oh sure, but when is someone trading an impactful player for the #53 pick? That's kind of what I was saying, those picks themselves are never really huge factors. You just collect them up if one's on offer.

- Nikola Jokic
    - Draymond Green
    - Willis Reed
    - Dennis Rodman
    - Alex English
    - Tiny Archibald
    - Manu Ginobili
    - Mark Price
    - Gilbert Arenas
    - Toni Kukoc
    - Jeff Hornacek
    - Michael Redd
    - Nate McMillan
    - Mark Gasol
    - Paul Millsap

If you have to go all the way back to 1970 and your list is still only 15 total players, then that kinda proves the other person's point.

The main value in a 2nd round pick is that it's not a guaranteed contract. You can draft someone, immediately see that they're not NBA material or they're years away from getting there, and just cut them... unlike the 30th pick which is a guaranteed 2 year deal. So in that sense, the 31st pick is probably more valuable than the 30th.

Also, I think at least 23 teams have traded away their 2nd round pick this year... including the Pelicans, who still own 4 2nd rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    If you have to go all the way back to 1970 and your list is still only 15 total players, then that kinda proves the other person's point.

The main value in a 2nd round pick is that it's not a guaranteed contract. You can draft someone, immediately see that they're not NBA material or they're years away from getting there, and just cut them... unlike the 30th pick which is a guaranteed 2 year deal. So in that sense, the 31st pick is probably more valuable than the 30th.

Also, I think at least 23 teams have traded away their 2nd round pick this year... including the Pelicans, who still own 4 2nd rounders.
    Agree with this

I think I'd put Trajan on a plane to Barcelona this afternoon and tell him not to come back unless he had Nikola Mirotic in tow. He's only making $ 10MM a year.
    Last edited by As I See It; 07-27-2021 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post

I mean, I could have kept going but I didn't really want to list like 60 guys so I kept it to guys who are just big names.

Smaller name second rounders who are still productive, solid NBA players include: Xavier Tillman Sr, Terence Mann, Jalen McDaniels, Jalen Brunson, Devonte Graham, Mitchell Robinson, Gary Trent Jr, De'Anthony Melton, Shake Milton, Monte Morris, Malcolm Brogdon, Ivica Zubac, Montrezl Harrell, Richaun Holmes, Pat Connaughton, Norm Powell, Joe Harris, Spencer Dinwiddie, Jae Crowder, Tomas Satoransky, Khris Middleton, Bojan Bogdanovic, Davis Bertans, E'twaun Moore, and Isaiah Thomas. That's from the last 10 years.

In any case, my point was never - and still isn't - that 2nd round picks are super mega valuable. In the post you are responding to, I literally say this:

What that means is this:
    - Yes, 2nd round picks are not very likely to produce a high tier NBA player
    - Despite that, there is always a chance that one of them could be good, so if it's cheap to get them why not try
    - 2nd round picks are cheap, so if one is on offer it's never something to turn down: not like it's going to cost you much
    - Therefore, collect 2nd round picks. They are cheap to get, could still potentially provide value, and they offer you an easy, simple, cheap developmental route without - as you say - any long term commitment.

Just to clarify again, in case it has somehow been missed yet again: I am not saying 2nd round picks are super high value. Just that if you can get one for cheap, there's no reason not to, and they can still turn into good NBA players albeit at a lower rate than 1st round picks.

Just to clarify again, in case it has somehow been missed yet again: I am not saying 2nd round picks are super high value. Just that if you can get one for cheap, there's no reason not to, and they can still turn into good NBA players albeit at a lower rate than 1st round picks.
    My point was more of including the 2nds as "draft assets" used on Adams is misleading

My point was more of including the 2nds as "draft assets" used on Adams is misleading
    Not at all. They were assets traded for him. They are 100% draft assets. And Hill was traded for 2 more 2nds.

What is Mac saying about using our cap space for?

Who do you want then?
    Also, saw a report that Dinwiddie could be our backup plan if we lose out on Lowry. Sure hope that is not the case. Have no interest in him at all, especially with him claiming to think he is worth 4 years/$100 million.

Not at all. They were assets traded for him. They are 100% draft assets. And Hill was traded for 2 more 2nds.
    They aren't assets. You're not putting a 2nd round pick in a trade for Bradley Beal and moving the needle. They're fine for getting off of bad contracts or trading for a nothing player like Jarrett Culver right now. They are draft picks, sure, but they're not legitimate assets.

We have four this year and three next year. If you want to bash Griff for trading RJ Hampton for Adams, go for it; but in the grand scheme of things, there's a 98% chance those 2nds are going to make absolutely no difference. Just simply used as a way to confirm a bias.

They aren't assets. You're not putting a 2nd round pick in a trade for Bradley Beal and moving the needle. They're fine for getting off of bad contracts or trading for a nothing player like Jarrett Culver right now. They are draft picks, sure, but they're not legitimate assets.

We have four this year and three next year. If you want to bash Griff for trading RJ Hampton for Adams, go for it; but in the grand scheme of things, there's a 98% chance those 2nds are going to make absolutely no difference. Just simply used as a way to confirm a bias.
    Every move has it's consquences. Trading Adams for a 1st (and 2 seconds) when OKC couldn't give him away for 18 months is virtually unforgivable

We should have been compensated for taking on a 30 mil contract worth about 10 mil

Don't sugar coat it

Every terrible move has it's opportunity costs which ends up ********ing you over in the long run
    Last edited by AusPel; 07-27-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Thread Information