Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: MAJOR TRADE: Pelicans / Grizzlies

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Except not really in the same league as a defensive prospect. He's fine on defense, don't get me wrong, and benefits from being pretty huge physically, but he's not the lateral mover Bridges is, and he doesn't read the floor as well on D either.
    Agreed, he reminds me of Tobias Harris

While I think Adams was a good guy, he didn't fit this team, Bled on the other hand... KICK ROCKS LOL

Decent trade. Griff owning up to his mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Jonas is really underrated. He is the 3 point shooting 5 that everyone believes Zion needs, so we'll see how it goes. Will be interesting to see what the market is for him, bigs are getting cheaper and cheaper, but Jonas is one of the better shooting bigs in the league.
    I get the temptation to think like this but I just want to remind people that although Jonas shot well in terms of percentages over the last two years, and I think could be a reasonable floor spacer on most teams, he also took less than one three point attempt per game and nobody is going to hesitate helping off a guy who shoots 37% on 0.9 attempts a night in order to defend Zion in the paint.

Like, if your man is Jonas Valanciunas and Zion is driving past you, you're helping on Zion. Jonas can have the open 3 opportunity: he's likely not going to take it, and even if he is, the point-per-shot return on a Jonas 3 (1.1ppp) is lower than a Zion layup (1.41ppp), so you'll take it. In order for a centre to provide enough spacing to actually make Zion's life easier, he'd have to shoot like KAT
    Basketball.

I get the temptation to think like this but I just want to remind people that although Jonas shot well in terms of percentages over the last two years, and I think could be a reasonable floor spacer on most teams, he also took less than one three point attempt per game and nobody is going to hesitate helping off a guy who shoots 37% on 0.9 attempts a night in order to defend Zion in the paint.

Like, if your man is Jonas Valanciunas and Zion is driving past you, you're helping on Zion. Jonas can have the open 3 opportunity: he's likely not going to take it, and even if he is, the point-per-shot return on a Jonas 3 (1.1ppp) is lower than a Zion layup (1.41ppp), so you'll take it. In order for a centre to provide enough spacing to actually make Zion's life easier, he'd have to shoot like KAT
    Going from Adams to JV is still a MAJOR upgrade, not just in spacing the floor for Zion, but in basically every metric. He was the glue that held Memphis together and has always been on winning teams. I think Griff figured out he needs culture setters, but ones that can actually play and fit our roster. He failed his first attempt at this last year, but he's off to a great start this go round.

This is true but he has shown 3pt improvement and also it’s usually a skill that bigs add that get older. I can see him hitting 39ish percent on 2 three point attempts per game

Jonas is also actually a better rebounder than Adam’s, FT shooter, mid range shooter, post game, and is metrically even a better defender

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Jonas is also actually a better rebounder than Adam’s, FT shooter, mid range shooter, post game, and is metrically even a better defender
    He was very good for the Grizzlies last year. Like very, very good. At times Ja (who we all know is the better player) was 1a and he was 1b. Jonas is seismically better than Adams and it's not just for his ability to hit a three every now and then. Not to mention he's cheaper and an expiring.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Going from Adams to JV is still a MAJOR upgrade, not just in spacing the floor for Zion, but in basically every metric. He was the glue that held Memphis together and has always been on winning teams. I think Griff figured out he needs culture setters, but ones that can actually play and fit our roster. He failed his first attempt at this last year, but he's off to a great start this go round.
    Sure, I'm not negative about the Jonas add at all. In fact, I think on the first page of this thread I said he was a clear upgrade over Adams, including with regards to spacing! Cause he can hit a long range mid shot a little as well.

My point is just that we need to be careful thinking about him as a ''3 point shooting 5'' cause he just isn't, really. At least not thus far: as Hornet Guru said, maybe he ups his volume this year and can stay efficient - obviously that would be cool - but it's not like we can just pencil it in as a given. So far he's not shown anything like the shooting that would be needed to provide any real space. Which is fine, we've seen that Zion can execute absurd scoring on stupid efficiency inside a very crowded lane, he doesn't need oceans of space (even if it would be nice!).

Agree. To date no one would think of JV as a real 3 point threat. But so what. He is a very accomplished post scorer and can take a dump off in the lane and consistently knock down the 8-10 footer. That will really help Zion just like really helped Morant.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    What’s this move help us do? We could have a bit of cap space. We sign and trade Lonzo and we can fit a max deal in. But for who? Chris Paul is coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    What?s this move help us do? We could have a bit of cap space. We sign and trade Lonzo and we can fit a max deal in. But for who? Chris Paul is coming back?
    Media link us to getting Lowry. There other options like Conley, and maybe trading for a point... Like Brogdon, Sexton. If Paul goes on the market... That'd be interesting. I can see him running back, but if he opts out... Phoenix will probably move on instead of paying him for a multi year deal.

Brogdon makes sense, because we still need to fill out depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    What’s this move help us do? We could have a bit of cap space. We sign and trade Lonzo and we can fit a max deal in. But for who? Chris Paul is coming back?
    Mr Lowry, of Toronto fame, exists.

It also gives us cap space to play with offers to people like Duncan Robinson.

And of course, if you're a team like Atlanta who has been rumoured several times to want to ship someone out because you have too many young guys coming up on paydays or extensions - John Collins, Kevin Huerter, DeAndre Hunter - why not give yourself cap to make an offer or, in the case of using the TPE, even do a S&T.

Also, with a sizeable TPE, I can imagine us being a fairly attractive trade partner for teams who want to clear up salary without taking anything back. For example, the Jazz have $134m on the books next season and $123m on the books the season after that. They're going to be over the luxury tax next year and if they resign Ingles, they'll be in the luxury tax the year after as well. Meanwhile, Bojan Bogdanovic slots pretty neatly into the TPE we have. Can the Jazz be persuaded to free up Bojan in exchange for avoiding the repeater tax? No idea, but we're set up to take advantage of situations like that if/when they come up.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    We could've traded for Dame with only a second round pick and posters on this board would find something to complain about.
    You are right about that. This team hasn't even practiced together, much less played a game together and yet it is the worst trade ever.

I really like this trade ! Go on Griff , don’t stop now…

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    All the national writers I trust love it. I trust KOC, Jackson Frank, HP more than Pelicansfan10
    That is good to hear.

This trade had me at "Bledsoe to Memphis" the rest is just window dressing.

All-Star
    Don't let up on David Griffin! He still have more moves to make in order for us to compete in the nba.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    He was very good for the Grizzlies last year. Like very, very good. At times Ja (who we all know is the better player) was 1a and he was 1b. Jonas is seismically better than Adams and it's not just for his ability to hit a three every now and then. Not to mention he's cheaper and an expiring.
    This is why we need a good guard too tho. Good guard play helps players like JV be better.

I have to admit I had a sick feeling when I first heard about the trade but really it just points to my football familiarity. I hear about us giving up a 1st rounder and my jaw drops, forgetting that late NBA first round is more like a football mid round pick. It's even protected should something happen to the Lakers. Also moving from 10 to 17 is huge in the NFL but , at least in this draft, it does not seem as big in the NBA. I'm nervous as hell right now, but it seems like this is the opposite of last offseason.

So I’ve been reading this forum for a couple of years and I’ve really enjoyed y’all’s (yes I’m southern) posts, opinions and sometimes hilarious banter. I’ve finally decided to join and throw in my 2 cents.

I really like this trade and see it like this. The Lakers protected pick is basically the price to rid Bled’s contract and clear up 18 mil. I’m good with the price. I don’t really care about the 2nd round swaps. They are inconsequential. The meat of the trade is Adams and moving down 7 spots for JV. I take this all day and every day for 2 reasons. First, JV is such an upgrade. I’m actually an Adams fan for multiple reasons. One being my favorite media interview. I wish I could approach life like Steven and have a beautiful waterfront NZ farm (wouldn’t you). But when I watched games against the Grizz I would say “Man would JV be such a good fit with our team and Zion. And he’s cheaper than Adams. No brainer IMO.

I think Griff has learned from his mistakes where he loved a player and went after him aggressively. I believe he heard the roar of Camp Zion and his ears perked up like a jackrabbit with a predator bearing down on him. He’s got to know, if he loses Zion, this franchise looses him. At least I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I dont think it is a lock Jonas is here this year. I dont think its a lock we keep 17 either. Fun trade to talk about, but I wouldnt draw any definite conclusions yet. First domino to fall, and as always, I think you judge the offseason as a whole
    I didn't think about that. Someone could trade for his expiring contract, to give a three point shooter to the Pelicans.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Just think.

2/5's of our starting lineup were basically inept last year. FORTY PERCENT.

Yes, this was Griffs doing. But at least he is not being stubborn and moving on quickly from it.

I wasn't going to watch any game this year if Bledsoe was playing. Toxic attitude and trash play. And nothing against Adams personally, but he was maybe the worst possible fit for this team. 7 points per game with a 44% FT. Worst 2 starters in the league honestly.

Now we get a chance to really contend. Can't wait to see what's ahead.

If you plan on re-signing JV and he plays well for us, then it?s probably worth it. I?d like to see it in action before I jump for joy. But it could have been much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan23 View Post
    So I’ve been reading this forum for a couple of years and I’ve really enjoyed y’all’s (yes I’m southern) posts, opinions and sometimes hilarious banter. I’ve finally decided to join and throw in my 2 cents.

I really like this trade and see it like this. The Lakers protected pick is basically the price to rid Bled’s contract and clear up 18 mil. I’m good with the price. I don’t really care about the 2nd round swaps. They are inconsequential. The meat of the trade is Adams and moving down 7 spots for JV. I take this all day and every day for 2 reasons. First, JV is such an upgrade. I’m actually an Adams fan for multiple reasons. One being my favorite media interview. I wish I could approach life like Steven and have a beautiful waterfront NZ farm (wouldn’t you). But when I watched games against the Grizz I would say “Man would JV be such a good fit with our team and Zion. And he’s cheaper than Adams. No brainer IMO.

I think Griff has learned from his mistakes where he loved a player and went after him aggressively. I believe he heard the roar of Camp Zion and his ears perked up like a jackrabbit with a predator bearing down on him. He’s got to know, if he loses Zion, this franchise looses him. At least I hope so.
    Welcome finally to the board friend. Please post more. Great post.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Rookie
    Memphis as a team under Taylor Jenkins has been a low volume three point shooting team. They like to attack the paint. Valanciunas passed on a lot of open threes. If given the green light, his volume should go up, possibly significantly. Regardless, even if you take out three point shooting altogether, he's a significant upgrade over Adams.

If there's anything we learned about Zion this year it's that he can play with anyone. The best way we can help Zion is by making his number two as good as possible. Right now, that's BI. Valanciunas will help BI more than anybody. Big body, sets great screens and is always a threat to score off screen actions from anywhere. He should help BI face less bodies and have more options coming off screens.

We still have a long way to go, but this was a step in the right direction.

Thread Information