Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: MAJOR TRADE: Pelicans / Grizzlies

Quote Originally Posted by I❤️JV View Post
    Hi guys....
    Hey, welcome aboard
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    We shed Bledsoe, still have a solid enough pick in this draft, and upgraded at the C position to a guy who can get a little bit further out of the paint (Jonas is a good long midrange shooter, always has been, shoots 78% from the FT line on his career, and has shot reasonably well from 3 on small volume through his career) and all it really cost us was 7 spots in a draft and a first that's probably going to be like the 29th pick next year.

Am I the only one who is a little perplexed at the amount of negativity going on around this trade? You're acting like we traded 6 lottery picks for a scrub.
    All the national writers I trust love it. I trust KOC, Jackson Frank, HP more than Pelicansfan10

Glad he protected the Lakers' pick just in case of something unexpected. At least he got off of a lot of money. Not a huge fan of Valanciunas. He is an upgrade on offense, but likely a downgrade on defense (although Adams was not very good this past season). Let's hope Griffin does not immediately offer Valanciunas a 2 year above market extension.

Yeah we sent out Bledsoe ($18m salary 21-22) and Adams ($17m salary 21-22) and only took back Valanciunas ($14m salary 21-22).

So that's $35m out, only $14m in. So we have a $21m trade exception to work with as well, which is good!

We shed Bledsoe, still have a solid enough pick in this draft, and upgraded at the C position to a guy who can get a little bit further out of the paint (Jonas is a good long midrange shooter, always has been, shoots 78% from the FT line on his career, and has shot reasonably well from 3 on small volume through his career) and all it really cost us was 7 spots in a draft and a first that's probably going to be like the 29th pick next year.

Am I the only one who is a little perplexed at the amount of negativity going on around this trade? You're acting like we traded 6 lottery picks for a scrub.
    Yup
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    All the national writers I trust love it. I trust KOC, Jackson Frank, HP more than Pelicansfan10
    Yeah I'm also seeing pretty much universal approval from writers I also trust. I get being a touch concerned about Valanciunas' fit, but it cost almost nothing to get rid of Bledsoe, upgrade at C, and add a massive TPE. How can you be seriously upset at that?

i am okay with it. shed 2 unwanted contracts and get an above average center.

I am with you. This is silly to be upset at.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Even neutral fans are saying we fleeced Memphis:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/vie...89b3b47f730bee

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Even neutral fans are saying we fleeced Memphis:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/vie...89b3b47f730bee
    Bet they make up for it getting an excellent player in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    There'll still be good players at 17, if we even use it.

Just going off the most recent mock by Givony for ESPN (Givony is generally pretty good when it comes to mocks), players like Jalen Johnson, Usman Garuba, Jared Butler, Sharife Cooper, Jaden Springer, Tre Mann, and JT Thor may all still be on the board at that point. And there's a solid chance that someone - maybe Kispert? - slips a little, that's not uncommon to happen.

So it's not like there's no chance for a good pick at 17.

There'll still be good players at 17, if we even use it.

Just going off the most recent mock by Givony for ESPN (Givony is generally pretty good when it comes to mocks), players like Jalen Johnson, Usman Garuba, Jared Butler, Sharife Cooper, Jaden Springer, Tre Mann, and JT Thor may all still be on the board at that point. And there's a solid chance that someone - maybe Kispert? - slips a little, that's not uncommon to happen.

So it's not like there's no chance for a good pick at 17.
    I would bet we do not even use it for the Pelicans. Probably be traded for a future 1st like the Hampton pick last year.

I think when you accept the sunk cost factor here then this trade doesn't seem bad. But yes, if you combine it with the moves to get those pieces then it starts to be frustrating. But, we can go all the way back to Asik by doing that.

Thrilled to get rid of Bledsoe. Young guards with effort will actually be able to play now.

You get a big who can contribute to a Zion offense in some way and is shorter term risk than before.

Swap 7 spots in the 1st and potentially lose a mid/late AD first next year.

I'll take it just to get rid of the black hole that was 2/5 of our starting unit.

Jonas is a good player. Esp. on offense and I have a feeling we're about to be a more offensive team again. We get a guard like Lowry and Brodgon to help. This isn't bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I think Memphis may continue to try to move up in the draft in draft night. They have way too many contributors and not enough star talent. If they ever want to get out of the 6-10 seed and become a serious championship contender, they need another superstar with Ja. JJJ is not that guy, but he should have some trade value right now. Their rebuild just went way too quickly because they drafted old dudes who were ready to contribute.

I'd be offering 10, JJJ and more for the #2 pick to pair Ja with Mobley

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I think Memphis may continue to try to move up in the draft in draft night. They have way too many contributors and not enough star talent. If they ever want to get out of the 6-10 seed and become a serious championship contender, they need another superstar with Ja. JJJ is not that guy, but he should have some trade value right now. Their rebuild just went way too quickly because they drafted old dudes who were ready to contribute.

I'd be offering 10, JJJ and more for the #2 pick to pair Ja with Mobley
    If so, could be why the trade was made so early. They may have something else in the works and needed the move to happen now. Otherwise, would have made sense for Pels to wait. The enticing think to Griff was probably finding a team that would take both of his mistakes at once.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I would bet we do not even use it for the Pelicans. Probably be traded for a future 1st like the Hampton pick last year.
    I don't think we're going to use it either. We have alot of young players on the team already (Naw, Jaxson, Lewis, Didi) and Griff's trying to get them to play so I don't see him bringing on any young guys. Really think his mind is set on getting good vets in the building now. Prob go after a big fish like Lowry and then another one to compensate for losing Josh Hart if we don't re-sign him.

Potentially not, though I do think it would be a shame not to - influx of young talent being what it is, especially in regards to the Hampton trade which I think was a pretty poor example of asset management overall. Wouldn't be surprised if we moved it for someone or something.

But, if we do keep it, there are good picks to be made at that spot.

If so, could be why the trade was made so early. They may have something else in the works and needed the move to happen now. Otherwise, would have made sense for Pels to wait. The enticing think to Griff was probably finding a team that would take both of his mistakes at once.
    I'd bet that Memphis gave the Pels the extra protections on the Lakers pick in order to get this done so early

I hate this team...

I don't think we'll do it, but I feel like we could even potentially move up ourselves from 17 if we wanted. We have 17, 35, 43, 51, and 53 in this draft. I could see us moving 17+35 to move up a couple of spots (not super high but still). So it's not like Griff is hamstrung with regards to the draft.

Kyle Lowry, Kyle Lowry, Kyle Lowry

I don't think we'll do it, but I feel like we could even potentially move up ourselves from 17 if we wanted. We have 17, 35, 43, 51, and 53 in this draft. I could see us moving 17+35 to move up a couple of spots (not super high but still). So it's not like Griff is hamstrung with regards to the draft.
    I know they've liked Kispert for 2 years now. I wonder if the rumors of his slide have influenced the desire to move back. Not saying that would be a good or bad pick, just saying I know they have had plenty interest in the past.

Kispert is the dream. But start studying some Trey Murphy III film
    @mcnamara247

I like it. It frees up tons of money if the right free agent opportunity presents itself. A Kevin Love Deal wouldn't look so bad now.

Thread Information