Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: MAJOR TRADE: Pelicans / Grizzlies

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar

Breaking News MAJOR TRADE: Pelicans / Grizzlies

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn

BREAKING: Memphis is finalizing a trade to send Jonas Valanciunas and 2021 Nos. 17 and 51 picks to New Orleans for Steven Adams, Eric Bledsoe, 2021 picks Nos. 10 and 40 and a protected 2022 first-round pick via the Lakers, sources tell ESPN.

I think I love this move, but I'm surprised it happened this early

Griff loves to get fleeced.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Why did we need to include the Lakers 2022 1st round pick? If we don’t get a Lowry or better PG, this trade sucks. Jonas look to be an expiring contract btw as it hasn’t been mentioned. Griff basically cleared the books. Hopefully Griff isn’t stupid enough to offer Jonas an extension now, lol.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 07-26-2021 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Griff loves to get fleeced.
    Ugh, a future 1st as well for an expiring Valanciunas? Another big that does not fit well with Zion.

I have to think about it more, and I'm not sure what it implies - I can't even remember how much Valanciunas is getting paid right now - but my initial reaction is that I kinda like this move
    Basketball.

Hall of Famer
    This is how I see it

Griffin job is on life after a move like this

Griff is basically admitting the adams trade was bad. He cleared out beldsoe as well

Now he has to strike in free agency...just keeping lonzo isn't going to cut it

Gave up 2 1st round picks to offload Bledsoe and Steven....

Steven cost us a !st round pick.

So, we essentially burned 3 1st round pick.

Wow.... We are desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Ugh, a future 1st as well for an expiring Valanciunas? Another big that does not fit well with Zion.
    Not a bit.

We traded Jrue, and in the process netted two bad assets. Now we get to waste assets acquired in the AD trade to clear the books of the bad assets we got in the process of the Jrue trade. (Yes, I know Bledsoe and Adams came in separate trades, but they came in the same process).

This move opens up a ton of flexibility for basically the price of a very late first in 2022, while also upgrading Adams to Valanciunas.

What this move tells me, though, is that Griff doesnt expect the big fish to become available before the trade deadline in 2021-2022.

Hall of Famer
    Scott Kushner @ScottDKushner
    2 minutes ago
    Man....what a bust last offseason was. Van Gundy, Bledsoe and Adams all shipped out after one season. Band aid torn off, though, and now Griffin will have the flexibility to make up for the mistakes.

We could've traded for Dame with only a second round pick and posters on this board would find something to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Scott Kushner @ScottDKushner
    2 minutes ago
    Man....what a bust last offseason was. Van Gundy, Bledsoe and Adams all shipped out after one season. Band aid torn off, though, and now Griffin will have the flexibility to make up for the mistakes.

Exactly. We all knew this. Let's move on please.

We shed Bledsoe, still have a solid enough pick in this draft, and upgraded at the C position to a guy who can get a little bit further out of the paint (Jonas is a good long midrange shooter, always has been, shoots 78% from the FT line on his career, and has shot reasonably well from 3 on small volume through his career) and all it really cost us was 7 spots in a draft and a first that's probably going to be like the 29th pick next year.

Am I the only one who is a little perplexed at the amount of negativity going on around this trade? You're acting like we traded 6 lottery picks for a scrub.

Hall of Famer
    Moody would have looked nice next to zion now he will look nice next to morant

Yea

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    We could've traded for Dame with only a second round pick and posters on this board would find something to complain about.
    We essentially paid to fix our own mistakes. It's not like we got a great star in return. We got an expiring Big man in a guard league with team that has lead guard problems.

We also get a fairly hefty trade exception out of this, I think?

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    why shouldn't posters be upset?

He traded for Adams who was a horrible fit from the becoming. When you have zion you shouldn't look for a center who can't space the floor . Handed okc a first.. now had to trade first to unload him.. Are you sure Griffin knows what hes doing

And on the off-chance the Lakers pick is good, it's protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Gave up 2 1st round picks to offload Bledsoe and Steven....

Steven cost us a !st round pick.

So, we essentially burned 3 1st round pick.

Wow.... We are desperate.
    Got a 1st round pick back. Plus I’m curious what the protection on the Lakers pick is

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    why shouldn't posters be upset?
    It cost us very little (7 spots in a draft and a top 10 protected pick) to shed Bledsoe, upgrade at C, and (I think) create a massive trade exception.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    Got a 1st round pick back. Plus I’m curious what the protection on the Lakers pick is
    Top ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

And on the off-chance the Lakers pick is good, it's protected.
    Okay. that's a good trade

Thread Information