Pelicans Report

Thread: Pelicans Make Willie Green Official

Pelicans Pelicans Make Willie Green Official

Official announcement has come out. Willie Green confirmed for the next Pelicans head coach.

We all knew this ages ago, but the official announcement is here! Best of luck Coach Green!

Quotations from the article:

Statements from Gayle, Griff, and Green:
    “After an extensive and collaborative search, Willie stood out among an impressive group of candidates as the best person to lead our team moving forward,” said Pelicans Governor Gayle Benson. “We are very happy to welcome Willie as our new head coach and we look forward to working with him to guide our team on the court as we work towards bringing a championship to New Orleans.”

“Willie has established himself as one of the most respected assistant coaches in the NBA. In large part, this is due to a tireless work ethic and authenticity of character,” said Griffin. “He brings a vast amount of basketball knowledge and experience to our team as both a coach and former player, along with exceptional leadership qualities and an innate ability to connect with players, staff and fans alike. We could not be more excited to welcome Willie and his family to New Orleans.”

“I want to thank Mrs. Benson, David Griffin, and the entire Pelicans organization for having faith in me to lead this talented group of players moving forward,” said Green. “It’s a blessing and an honor to get this opportunity in a special place like New Orleans. I look forward to getting to work and immersing myself and my family into the local community.”
    Willie Green Personal History:
    Prior to joining Phoenix, Green spent three seasons (2016-19) as assistant coach/player development for the Golden State Warriors. While on head coach Steve Kerr’s staff, Green helped the Warriors win back-to-back NBA Championships in 2017 and 2018 before returning to the NBA Finals in 2019. He also served as the Warriors’ head coach for NBA Summer League in 2018, leading Golden State to the California Classic’s only 3-0 record.

Green, a 12-year NBA veteran as a player, was selected with the 41st overall pick by Seattle in the 2003 NBA Draft. He appeared in 731 regular season games (297 starts) with Philadelphia, New Orleans, Atlanta, the LA Clippers and Orlando from 2003-15, and qualified for the playoffs seven times in his 12 seasons.

A native of Detroit, Green was a four-year standout at the University of Detroit Mercy, where he won Horizon League Player of the Year as a senior in 2003 and helped the Titans to two NIT appearances in 2001 and 2002, including a trip to the semifinals at Madison Square Garden in 2001. Green remains fifth in program history in career points scored.
    Official Introductory Press Conference will take place Tuesday 27th of July at 11am CT
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 07-22-2021 at 02:43 PM.
    Basketball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I wish him well. Much has been said. Now he's gotta do it.

I think Chris Paul was speaking to Ingram and Zion. You will like him.

Off to a good start

Welcome Willie!

Any news on his assistants? Or did I miss it?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    I'll probably never get over seeing players go through their careers and becoming a headcoach lol Welcome Coach Willie.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    I'll probably never get over seeing players go through their careers and becoming a headcoach lol Welcome Coach Willie.
    He's only 39!

When Kareem was the same age Willie Green is now, he was an All-Star averaging 18/7/2, starting on a 65 win team that went on to win the chip.

I like the hire.

At least he isn't a retread!

Hopefully we don't do him like we did Monty. You know, make the playoffs and get fired for it and all...

Finally !
    Congrats and best wishes to Willie Green, new HC.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Compared to last year, I find myself totally ambivalent to this hire. It's hard to believe that Griff is hitching his professional reputation to a virtual unknown. But then again, management plays only a cursory role in the operation of an NBA Franchise. These types of decisions are made by labor, so I hope Zion is right!!

Best of Luck Willie!!

Moreover, Best of Luck, New Orleans!!

Q-Pon coming back?

Welcome home Coach Green. Time to get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Q-Pon coming back?

I think the omitted part of the sentence is "He is..."

I'm noticing a couple NBA players celebrating the signing. There's that at least.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If the players are happy with him then, this is great. All I hear, are great things about how good a coach he is. He was coaching in the Finals 4 seasons, in the last 5 years. He knows what it takes to get there. I just hope Griff can give him the best players he can possibly get.

I've reached that part of my life where I am the same age as the coaches as opposed to the players.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Every post counts

Quote Originally Posted by bustah View Post
    Every post counts
    Compared to the last coach. Yes

Quote Originally Posted by bustah View Post
    Every post counts

Thread Information