Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lillard trade request rumor...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Worth noting that this is less significant in regards to a Lillard trade than other recent superstar moves. You had to know you'd have a team good enough to compete after acquiring AD because he had one year left on his deal and could just walk if you didn't. Same with Kawhi, just to name another recent example.

This is not the case with Lillard. He has 5 years left on his deal: unless you think he's a legit threat to sit out 3+ years of a contract refusing to play (which I don't think he would) you don't need to know for sure you'd have a competitor left once you'd acquired him, you'd just need to believe you had a clear road to a competitor once you acquired him. Which wouldn't be too hard to imagine, even if it would be more difficult in practice.
    Lillard has 3 years plus a player option left.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    My question is: what sort of rebuild will the PDX FO want?

1. A complete tear down where you receive umpteen first round picks, some very young talent and ********ty contract filler like Bled and Adams to make the trade legal (also probably trade CJ)

OR

2. A competitive type rebuild where you want a decent star type player like Ingram, picks and some very young talent (and keep CJ)?

One would think #1 with how stacked the West currently is.....pack it in for a few seasons and accumulate a plethora of young draft talent or cash in picks to trade up for the next possible Dame.....but we're not feeling the pressure of ticket sales and profit. Like MM said somewhere about us, a lot of teams aren't chasing rings. They're just trying to fill seats. In my head, I'm thinking at some point Portland has to see they won't get over even the 2nd round hump with Dame and they're too far down the rankings to just attract another star so they'll trade Dame for a future move but they really just might be fine rolling out what they have been and staying competitive for a few more seasons and then trade him when he's 34 and declining but another team will still shell out the picks for him.

Good point on the difference in years and the threat of them bolting, Dae. Even three years and a player option is a whole different scenario than what AD was shilling....despite Ainge saying he wasn't phased by it.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 07-17-2021 at 11:38 AM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

My question is: what sort of rebuild will the PDX FO want?

1. A complete tear down where you receive umpteen first round picks, some very young talent and ********ty contract filler like Bled and Adams to make the trade legal (also probably trade CJ)

OR

2. A competitive type rebuild where you want a decent star type player like Ingram, picks and some very young talent (and keep CJ)?
    I think a complete teardown with picks and cheap talent would be preferred. Getting an expensive fake plant in Ben Simmons makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Lillard has 3 years plus a player option left.
    Ah yes, my bad. This season is not technically over yet, hence why I was thinking 5 years, but really it's 4 years after this one and indeed, one is a player option.

This doesn't, however, make any real difference to my point. Lillard is not going to sit out multiple season, therefore you don't need to be ready to win a ring year 1 with him you only need to be confident of winning a ring within 3 in order for the all-in trade to be worth it.

I repeat that that would be really difficult in practice anyway, but it's easier to justify to yourself than ''all in, one year, win it or explode'' is with a guy like AD or Kawhi's situation.
    Basketball.

Is Lillard a good buy at 34 years old like CP3 or Lebron, Dae?

I don't watch much 2021 Lillard to really Forman opinion if he can have positive longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post

I don't watch much 2021 Lillard to really Forman opinion if he can have positive longevity.
    I'm gonna say definitely

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post

I mean, I think it depends what you value in a good buy.

The advantage of Lillard is that his strength is his shooting, and generally speaking, shooting lasts. Curry was turned 33 midway through this season and he put up 32 points a game on 65%TS and while, again, I don't think Lillard has ever been as good as Curry, he's a similar archetype of player; relatively short nuclear scoring guard who relies on distance shooting and self-creation to use his pull on defenses to make passing reads easier. Do I think he'll be as good as Lebron when he's 34? Probably not because Lebron at 34 was arguably still as good as Lillard has ever been, and age is usually not as kind to 6'2 guards as it is 6'9 forwards, but I think Lillard will still be a good and productive NBA player at 34 sure.

The Franchise
    Send out 6 firsts for Lillard then go get Kawhi. Create our own super team for at least a few years.

Dame going to the Knicks if I were a betting man.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Send out 6 firsts for Lillard then go get Kawhi. Create our own super team for at least a few years.
    Two of my current favorite players on my team? I’d sacrifice everyone not named Zion Williamson to make that happen. I mean trade. I’d trade them…

i wouldnt give the whole treasure chest for a midget score-first PG who's on the wrong side of 30.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    i wouldnt give the whole treasure chest for a midget score-first PG who's on the wrong side of 30.
    No. We’re talking about Damian Lillard. Not whomever you just referenced.

Dame sleep with your missus?

I disagree with your bashing but I wouldn't go all out to trade for Dame either.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    +2

The Franchise
    Someone posted on Twitter, Por and NO talking. Leo’s have offered Ingram and picks

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Who is the someone?

Last edited by Fedupfan; 07-22-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    I’m not sure who Landon is but the only thing I can say is he reported the Kawhi news first and it was right.

Is Landon legit then?

Portland getting Brandon Ingram? Do we go all in to get Leonard... I doubt Leonard wants to leave LA on a personal level. I can see him switching to Lakers if he wanted to leave. If that happens... Paul George will probably be on sale.

But Leonard runs the Clippers and gets everything he wants and his camp is all kinds of toxic. So... If Leonard pulls a Uncle Dennis and leaves for AD and LeBron. I can see George and Lillard, but that eats up all your picks.

I was hoping to keep Ingram and see if the Clippers break up, tho. Hopefully, they just used Ingram to get Portland to open the door and talk them down.
    Last edited by Taker597; 07-22-2021 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I’m not sure who Landon is but the only thing I can say is he reported the Kawhi news first and it was right.
    Ehhhh... Leonard to LA?

Not to discredit that dude, but everyone saw that coming. Leonard camp been trying to get him to LA since his Spurs sitout and trade demand.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I mean, I think it depends what you value in a good buy.

The advantage of Lillard is that his strength is his shooting, and generally speaking, shooting lasts. Curry was turned 33 midway through this season and he put up 32 points a game on 65%TS and while, again, I don't think Lillard has ever been as good as Curry, he's a similar archetype of player; relatively short nuclear scoring guard who relies on distance shooting and self-creation to use his pull on defenses to make passing reads easier. Do I think he'll be as good as Lebron when he's 34? Probably not because Lebron at 34 was arguably still as good as Lillard has ever been, and age is usually not as kind to 6'2 guards as it is 6'9 forwards, but I think Lillard will still be a good and productive NBA player at 34 sure.
    Lillard's BIGGEST strength is his elite shot making ability in the clutch. It's on the level of the Kobe's and MJ's.

This ability alone can get you multiple wins a season and in the playoffs. He has shown absolutely no signs of decline and there is no reason to believe there will be any during the remainder of this contract. Also with the timing of the new TV contracts, it would likely behoove Lillard to opt into his final year and sign his next contract the following year, after TV contracts are up. So there is a bigger possibility you can have 4 years with him as you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Who is the someone?

Is that the guy from Texas with about 5,000 followers? If so, he tends to throw a lot of crap against the wall and see if anything sticks. For some reason he has an interest in the Pelicans as he posts a lot about rumors, most that never come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by socbe7 View Post
    Lillard's BIGGEST strength is his elite shot making ability in the clutch. It's on the level of the Kobe's and MJ's.

This ability alone can get you multiple wins a season and in the playoffs. He has shown absolutely no signs of decline and there is no reason to believe there will be any during the remainder of this contract. Also with the timing of the new TV contracts, it would likely behoove Lillard to opt into his final year and sign his next contract the following year, after TV contracts are up. So there is a bigger possibility you can have 4 years with him as you mentioned.
    Considerably better than Kobe's.

The fact that people still think of Kobe as an elite shotmaker who stepped up and consistently delivered in the clutch is one of the biggest acts of NBA propaganda ever executed.

He's shown no sign of decline as a shooter and shotmaker this is true, but his defense has gotten worse every single year for the last 4 years. He's legit one of the worst defenders in the entire NBA. While I would still support acquiring him purely for the offensive firepower than a Zion/Lillard combo would create, that's still something you have to reckon with.

Is Landon legit then?
    No
    @mcnamara247

Thread Information