Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Shams - Lonzo update

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Why they didnt do the trade. Why simply trade one problem for another?

As for Sexton...I want it to happen. And yes, they have had discussions. But that means nothing. Griff has discussed over 2 dozen players with other teams already this offseadon

For me, Sexton comes down to this: Do you think there is a realistic path where the Pels build a roster that wins a chsmpionship. If your answer is yes, you are probably against a Sexton trade because he is small and does have overlapping positive and negative traits with BI and Zion (as opposed to being perfectly complimentary). So it isnt the move to make if you are holding out hope for perfect cohesion

But I dont think this franchise will ever win a title, and I dont think Zion and Ingram change that. So, just give me guys who play hard, are fun, and win more games than they lose. Sexton cares. He tries. He is talented. Will he be too small in the playoffs? Probably. Take some dumb shots. Yup. Will the Pels lose in some round of the playoffs with him, Ingram, and Zion as their highest usage guys. They will

But I have come to terms with that regardless and just want what I listed above and Sexton helps us get that
    Why do you say they'll never win?

Out of curiousity - when you guys reference positions, what exactly does that mean?

Like, you can put Ingram at "shooting guard" but that doesnt necessitate that the guy listed at "shooting guard" on the program has to defend him. So, what do these positions mean to you guys when you say this guy can play X position but shouldnt play Y?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by PELSGIRL View Post
    Why do you say they'll never win?
    Because I dont believe they will. Could I be wrong? Of course. But I would bet heavy that they never do. So, because that is my belief, I dont look at every move through the lens of "Does this help us build the perfect roster to win a title?"

Give me a fun team. A team that tries hard. A team that wins more than it loses. All I need

Because I dont believe they will. Could I be wrong? Of course. But I would bet heavy that they never do. So, because that is my belief, I dont look at every move through the lens of "Does this help us build the perfect roster to win a title?"

Give me a fun team. A team that tries hard. A team that wins more than it loses. All I need
    Kind of agree on the goal of just fielding a team that competes, but wondering why you say the Pels can't win a championship more so than any other smaller market team. I mean, come on, did you see Phoenix in the finals when hired James Jones as GM and a retread Monty Williams as coach? People were openly laughing at their front office and ownership two years ago.

The only reason for your pessimism I can see (other than the obvious fact that it's very hard for any team to win a title) is that you don't like the Pelicans ownership. I think that meme is overplayed by wise guy commentators. Nobody was singing the praises of New York or Atlanta or Phoenix's ownership and they all made huge leaps season over season by making some aggressive moves and you can argue the Pels are in a better position than any of those teams were at the end of last season. It doesn't always have to be some 5-year chess match where you can only get in position to get in position to make the move 3 years later...

Be careful with words -- I said wont

Cant and wont are two different things. And yes, you could always point to outliers to give you hope. Heck, every time I say I dont think the Pels ever will win a title, people say "We all that about that the Saints, and they did!" --- I have heard all the arguments before. I understand they CAN win a title. It is possible. But I would bet a large amount of money they wont. Not because any one thing is objectively awful and impossible to overcome, but because so much has to go right for a small market team that the odds are already heavily against them, and add on to that the meh culture of the organization and the missteps they have already made in this new era and I would just bet a ton of money they never do
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 07-14-2021 at 06:28 PM.

Be careful with words -- I said wont

Cant and wont are two different things.
    Duly noted. Can't=impossible. Won't=opinion that it will not happen. But you can expand from with that caveat, if you like. The implication is that the Pels are somehow less likely than, say the Suns, to get it together and win a chip. Maybe that's not what you're saying, but it seems like it is. Be interested in knowing why you hold that opinion...

Yeah, I added above. And I know its the safe bet and I am not going far out on a limb to say they wont. Not trying to go on a limb. Not trying to convince anyone else to agree with me. I just have come to terms with it and therefore am not trying to build the perfect roster. Am not all consumed with perfect fits. Just give me skilled guys who play hard and who care. If we are who Utah has been the last few years and who they will be the next few, I am totally cool with that, even if they fail every year in the playoffs

Is the end game really a title, or a competitive team you can be proud of, week in, week out?

From Dec. 12, 2019

Some of us have objective foresight, some (Griff) dont

https://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2...be-aggressive/
    I've always valued your insight and you knocked it out of the park with your section on Lonzo. Mactradumas 😆.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I've always valued your insight and you knocked it out of the park with your section on Lonzo. Mactradumas ��.
    Apart from wanting a future MVP candidate for BI

That's fairly far fetched

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Is the end game really a title, or a competitive team you can be proud of, week in, week out?
    I think that is up to the individual to choose. I have no problem with whatever a person decides for their entertainment. I just know where I am and when I see people not wanting to trade for Sexton, it is clear to me they prefer the 'title or bust' path of fandom/mental team building

I don't know if I'm a title or bust type a fan. I rather view my self as a swing for the fence guy and live with the results. I'd pass on Sexton for a lot of the reasons MM mentioned. However I wouldn't hate having Sexton on the team. The guy competes hard and I could live or die with that as a fan.

Out of curiousity - when you guys reference positions, what exactly does that mean?

Like, you can put Ingram at "shooting guard" but that doesnt necessitate that the guy listed at "shooting guard" on the program has to defend him. So, what do these positions mean to you guys when you say this guy can play X position but shouldnt play Y?

exactly
    if we were to sincerely roll with zion at point, then why have a smallish 2 guard out there; whereas we dont get a mismatch- due to the opposing PG being able to guard our Sg

id want a team on the floor like

zion
    moody/brogdon
    ingram
    oubre
    jaxson

exactly
    if we were to sincerely roll with zion at point, then why have a smallish 2 guard out there; whereas we dont get a mismatch- due to the opposing PG being able to guard our Sg

id want a team on the floor like

zion
    moody/brogdon
    ingram
    oubre
    jaxson

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    You always try to construct a team with the latter in mind, imo. To get a title, regardless of how good your team is, you need a little bit of luck. Some of the greatest teams in NBA history have come away with no rings, despite being just demonstrably fantastic teams. Being really really good is just not enough to guarantee a title; if you think ''title or bust'' you're almost certain to be disappointed regardless of how good the team is.

The focus has to be on constructing the best team possible, with the hopes of being a team that does all they can. If that team gets lucky, they also win a ring, as a by-product of being really good, but if your focus is just being really good and winning more than you lose then you're much more likely to be, at least for some time, satisfied.
    Basketball.

Thread Information