Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shams - Lonzo update

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    Always seems risky for small-market cellar dweller like the Pels to wait around for the missing piece to become available via trade, especially in the present day NBA where those players basically tell their teams exactly where they want to be traded to
    What is the alternative? Make them appear?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Should have traded Lonzo last year and avoided all this nonsense. It seems to be far better to be proactive in these situations. Demps got caught up in a very similar situation with Gordon. If you can't extend a player for a reasonable amount trade them. It's cold but ultimately the best thing for the team. Now you have to hope another team doesn't intentionally gives him a contract you don't want to give Lonzo yourself.
    Sure it is not that simple. It is certainly a risk, but obviously they did not get an offer for him that they felt was adequate. As a result, I assume they felt the risk was worth it to keep him and hope for a reasonable contract.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Should have traded Lonzo last year and avoided all this nonsense. It seems to be far better to be proactive in these situations. Demps got caught up in a very similar situation with Gordon. If you can't extend a player for a reasonable amount trade them. It's cold but ultimately the best thing for the team. Now you have to hope another team doesn't intentionally gives him a contract you don't want to give Lonzo yourself.
    From Dec. 12, 2019

Some of us have objective foresight, some (Griff) dont

https://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2...be-aggressive/

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    Always seems risky for small-market cellar dweller like the Pels to wait around for the missing piece to become available via trade, especially in the present day NBA where those players basically tell their teams exactly where they want to be traded to
    Yup
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It’s why I’m so over all his talk of family. That crap is for Mighty Ducks movies or Glory Road staring THE Josh Lucas.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Sure it is not that simple. It is certainly a risk, but obviously they did not get an offer for him that they felt was adequate. As a result, I assume they felt the risk was worth it to keep him and hope for a reasonable contract.
    The best offer was Markannen. Straight up. Griff told them that if they add a pick, he says yes. Chicago thought that he would cave at 245 and just accept Lauri. He didnt, betting that someone would give him something of future value this summer. We will see if he was right

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The best offer was Markannen. Straight up. Griff told them that if they add a pick, he says yes. Chicago thought that he would cave at 245 and just accept Lauri. He didnt, betting that someone would give him something of future value this summer. We will see if he was right
    Interesting. However, they would still be in the same position with Markannen needing a contract and hoping no one gave him a big offer.

Maybe you have posted elsewhere and I missed it. Whether Ball leaves or not, do you think Sexton is a player the Pels should target and if so, do you think they have serious interest?

Why they didnt do the trade. Why simply trade one problem for another?

As for Sexton...I want it to happen. And yes, they have had discussions. But that means nothing. Griff has discussed over 2 dozen players with other teams already this offseadon

For me, Sexton comes down to this: Do you think there is a realistic path where the Pels build a roster that wins a chsmpionship. If your answer is yes, you are probably against a Sexton trade because he is small and does have overlapping positive and negative traits with BI and Zion (as opposed to being perfectly complimentary). So it isnt the move to make if you are holding out hope for perfect cohesion

But I dont think this franchise will ever win a title, and I dont think Zion and Ingram change that. So, just give me guys who play hard, are fun, and win more games than they lose. Sexton cares. He tries. He is talented. Will he be too small in the playoffs? Probably. Take some dumb shots. Yup. Will the Pels lose in some round of the playoffs with him, Ingram, and Zion as their highest usage guys. They will

But I have come to terms with that regardless and just want what I listed above and Sexton helps us get that

Why they didnt do the trade. Why simply trade one problem for another?

As for Sexton...I want it to happen. And yes, they have had discussions. But that means nothing. Griff has discussed over 2 dozen players with other teams already this offseadon

For me, Sexton comes down to this: Do you think there is a realistic path where the Pels build a roster that wins a chsmpionship. If your answer is yes, you are probably against a Sexton trade because he is small and does have overlapping positive and negative traits with BI and Zion (as opposed to being perfectly complimentary). So it isnt the move to make if you are holding out hope for perfect cohesion

But I dont think this franchise will ever win a title, and I dont think Zion and Ingram change that. So, just give me guys who play hard, are fun, and win more games than they lose. Sexton cares. He tries. He is talented. Will he be too small in the playoffs? Probably. Take some dumb shots. Yup. Will the Pels lose in some round of the playoffs with him, Ingram, and Zion as their highest usage guys. They will

But I have come to terms with that regardless and just want what I listed above and Sexton helps us get that
    You think we can beat the NY offer without giving up NAW, Hayes, or Lewis?

NY offer is two busts and a pick or two in a range after most see a significant drop off. Yeah...I think we can beat that if we want to

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    You think we can beat the NY offer without giving up NAW, Hayes, or Lewis?
    I'd like to keep them as well. Kira's skill set looks the same a Sexton so maybe when one goes out and the other comes in there isn't too much of a change in the game plan.

I think you guys are thinking too.much about fit and next years roster. Its talent acquisition time. If Sexton is the best player and best value on the trade market grabs him. If Griff cant get what he wants for Lonzo in a trade, he keeps him. If there is a guard who slips to 35 that we had ranked around 20, the Pels take him too

You grab the talent, not the fit, right now.

I think you guys are thinking too.much about fit and next years roster. Its talent acquisition time. If Sexton is the best player and best value on the trade market grabs him. If Griff cant get what he wants for Lonzo in a trade, he keeps him. If there is a guard who slips to 35 that we had ranked around 20, the Pels take him too

You grab the talent, not the fit, right now.
    I like that strategy. Will Griffin apply that strategy though and not make another Adams move now?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I like that strategy. Will Griffin apply that strategy though and not make another Adams move now?
    He really regrets the Adams move. Not because Adams is bad but because of the acquisition cost and he would have 5% more flexibility right now if he hadnt done that deal. I dont think he does another one of those. He is aiming much higher, and I believe that if he cant get those bigger targets, he wont just settle for J. Grant or Nance, etc. But we shall see

Shams - Lonzo update

He really regrets the Adams move. Not because Adams is bad but because of the acquisition cost and he would have 5% more flexibility right now if he hadnt done that deal. I dont think he does another one of those. He is aiming much higher, and I believe that if he cant get those bigger targets, he wont just settle for J. Grant or Nance, etc. But we shall see
    Knowing what you know, what is his end goal? Is he going to try to get off both Adams and Bledsoe? Targeting names that have not been considered or discussed?

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    Knowing what you know, what is his end goal? Is he going to try to get off both Adams and Bledsoe? Targeting names that have not been considered or discussed?
    If you told Griff you would give him 10 mil to tell you exactly what he will do....he couldnt. He has multiple pathways. The first is to land a star. If Beal, Lillard, etc are on the block, he will make an insane overpay offer. But as I have said for months, I dont think they will be. He has been talking to Indy and Toronto for months. So, if Sabonis or OG shake free, he will go get them but not if it is so costly that it wont allow him to get the next star who comes free.

It can go so many different ways and value will play the key role. Its not A vs not A (say Brogdon or not Brogdon). Its A vs B vs C vs D vs E, etc etc

All the players lined up, with costs -- now what has the most impact for cost. So, will he 'get off' Adams? If the value is there, sure. Is it an edict. No, nothing is. Its not A or not A. It never is
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 07-14-2021 at 01:33 PM.

If you told Griff you would give him 10 mil to tell you exactly what he will do....he couldnt. He has multiple pathways. The first is to land a star. If Beal, Lillard, etc are on the block, he will make an insane overpay offer. But as I have said for months, I dont think they will be. He has been talking to Indy and Toronto for months. So, if Sabonis or OG shake free....
    Do you think the goal, though, is to dump both of those guys this off-season?

If you told Griff you would give him 10 mil to tell you exactly what he will do....he couldnt. He has multiple pathways. The first is to land a star. If Beal, Lillard, etc are on the block, he will make an insane overpay offer. But as I have said for months, I dont think they will be. He has been talking to Indy and Toronto for months. So, if Sabonis or OG shake free....
    OG is suchhhhhh a perfect fit it’s not even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    Do you think the goal, though, is to dump both of those guys this off-season?
    I know people think I am being a jerk when I ask questions like this, but I am just trying to figure out the EXACT question:

What do you mean by "goal"?

If a goal is: Do this no matter what, or at any cost - the answer is no.

The only "goal" is to improve the roster. The part out of his control is 'how much' - and that will be determined by other teams and who they are willing to move this summer

I know people think I am being a jerk when I ask questions like this, but I am just trying to figure out the EXACT question:

What do you mean by "goal"?

If a goal is: Do this no matter what, or at any cost - the answer is no.

The only "goal" is to improve the roster. The part out of his control is 'how much' - and that will be determined by other teams and who they are willing to move this summer
    Let me rephrase. Based upon what you know, do you foresee any circumstance Bledsoe is on the opening day roster?

Yes. If Griff thinks or knows a stud might want out late in the offseason or early in the season, it would make sense for him to keep Bledsoe around

If you trade Bledsoe next week for say Taurean Prince and then Lillard hates the Blazers offseason and puts in his trade demand in October and drags it into the season like Harden just did, you couldnt trade Prince to match salary
    But if you had Bledsoe, you could.

Talked about this exact scenario on my pod a few weeks ago. I break everything down in concise detail there.

What I'm hoping for...

- I actually like NAW as the starting PG... allow him and Kira to share the duties.
    - Find a solid SG that can defend and knock down open shots
    - Find a big that can defend, pass, and be a decent threat form mid-range. A stretch big that can knock down 3s would be ideal, but if he can make middies that'll at least un-clog the paint for the PnR.
    - Get 2 or 3 more 3nD wings that can provide some good bench minutes and extend/maintain leads

Starters:

PG: NAW/Kira/3rd PG
    SG: 3nD/3nD/Didi
    SF: BI/Naji/3ND
    PF: Zion/3nD
    C: Stretch5/Jax (I'd love for Jax to develop a middie, because I love his ability in PnR/Bruiser5

As you can see I would love to fill the roster with guys that can SHOOT. With Zion's ability to dominate the paint we need guys that can knock down shots. Basketball isn't that hard... you have inside threats and surround the arc with guys that can shoot. NAW and Zion on PnR with shooters would be a nice lineup. NAW can score.. he also has a floater. He just need minutes to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    What I'm hoping for...

- I actually like NAW as the starting PG... allow him and Kira to share the duties.
    - Find a solid SG that can defend and knock down open shots
    - Find a big that can defend, pass, and be a decent threat form mid-range. A stretch big that can knock down 3s would be ideal, but if he can make middies that'll at least un-clog the paint for the PnR.
    - Get 2 or 3 more 3nD wings that can provide some good bench minutes and extend/maintain leads

Starters:

PG: NAW/Kira/3rd PG
    SG: 3nD/3nD/Didi
    SF: BI/Naji/3ND
    PF: Zion/3nD
    C: Stretch5/Jax (I'd love for Jax to develop a middie, because I love his ability in PnR/Bruiser5

As you can see I would love to fill the roster with guys that can SHOOT. With Zion's ability to dominate the paint we need guys that can knock down shots. Basketball isn't that hard... you have inside threats and surround the arc with guys that can shoot. NAW and Zion on PnR with shooters would be a nice lineup. NAW can score.. he also has a floater. He just need minutes to develop.
    If you watched NAW closely over the past couple seasons, you can tell he is a SG and not a PG. He has trouble making PG decisions. I like him as the starting SG if the team doesn’t trade for a SF like Harrison Barnes who would shift Ingram over to being the starting SG.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    So we've got the prime targets set as Beal, Lillard, KAT, Brown, and SGA.

There's always the unexpected. The guy who seems pretty entrenched but his team hasn't had playoff luck so he wants out. But...that guy is almost sure to want access to a team with title hopes, no? But then...the same would be true of the four names I just mentioned.

So, let's assume anyone who comes open on the market would also be amenable to playing here...who is the other name to step up and be available? What if it's Tatum? He's already wanted to come to NOLA once...there's been some upheaval in the front office structure...is that enough? This is fun to imagine. Well, for me it is. I can compartmentalize and not be let down when it never happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    If you watched NAW closely over the past couple seasons, you can tell he is a SG and not a PG. He has trouble making PG decisions. I like him as the starting SG if the team doesn?t trade for a SF like Harrison Barnes who would shift Ingram over to being the starting SG.
    I think Ingram should be moved to SG (said so when the trade was made). I love the idea of him taking defenders down low and using his size and reach (think PG13 or KD). I also agree with you that NAW is a not a PG. That said, I think NAW will be a moved if the right deal comes up. Right now he is the 'flavor of the month' and might never be this valuable to the Pelicans again.
    Last edited by As I See It; 07-14-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Thread Information