Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shams - Lonzo update

Hall of Famer

Pelicans Shams - Lonzo update

Lonzo Ball update: New Orleans is unlikely to match a significant offer sheet on Ball, sources said. Ball, 23, is among the top point guards on the free-agent market. The Bulls and Clippers are expected to be among the teams interested in him, according to sources. Ball averaged career-highs in points (14.6) and 3-point shooting (37.8) this past season.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Lonzo Ball update: New Orleans is unlikely to match a significant offer sheet on Ball, sources said. Ball, 23, is among the top point guards on the free-agent market. The Bulls and Clippers are expected to be among the teams interested in him, according to sources. Ball averaged career-highs in points (14.6) and 3-point shooting (37.8) this past season.
    This is partially true. But the plan is to threaten to match and work a S&T. I would say the odds of him just walking are very, very slim.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    This is partially true. But the plan is to threaten to match and work a S&T. I would say the odds of him just walking are very, very slim.
    I was just about to post the same thing

Hope we don’t regret this though. Ball played pretty well in limited usage and has gotten better every year. But is not worth 20mil a year

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Hope we don’t regret this though. Ball played pretty well in limited usage and has gotten better every year. But is not worth 20mil a year
    Worth is relative. The question shouldnt be: Is he worth 20 mil a year?

The question should be: Will I (likely) be able to move him for positive or neutral value for the majority of his contract at 20 mil per year? And I think the answer is yes, barring significant injury.

I would think Lonzo would want to stay with Fred Vinson another year at the least given his massive inconsistencies with his shot from into the bubble and out throughout the injuries last year. Hope we can keep him, but overpaying wouldn’t be the move. He's getting better though and I think he will keep that up. Wish he was always aggressive..
    "..but there's Baron dribbling the ball for 20 seconds, hoisting bad 3s and single-handedly killing them in close games. It's like somebody shrunk Antoine Walker and gave him his own team."
    - Bill Simmons (2006)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Actually, most guys get better they leave Vinson, so that would be the smart move for his career

The only guy of interest on either of these teams is Patrick Williams, and I don't think you're convincing Chicago to move him at this point.

Most likely scenario in my opinion is Lonzo returns but is moved as a quasi-centerpiece in a deal for a bigger star at some point this season or next years off season. They're not going to move Zo for picks/youth unless: 1) the young guy can be a core contributor immediately (i.e. Pat Williams) or 2) they have a plan to flip those assets for something else this offseason, or they already dealt assets during the draft

I will say that Lonzo becomes a lot more interesting as a fit on this team in a situation in which you move BI for Lillard, but that's a different conversation

they should have done this with Eric Gordon when he wanted to go to Phoenix

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Aminu and Thad Young coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Aminu and Thad Young coming back?
    The most likely trade to me has always been Aminu and a 2025 1st. Add a pick to the war chest for the eventual big trade and Aminu is an expiring that helps match salary

I am hoping a Kennard for Ball S & T happens. Kennard replaces Redick as the 6th man shooter off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I am hoping a Kennard for Ball S & T happens. Kennard replaces Redick as the 6th man shooter off the bench.
    At 20MM per year, Kennard's contract would not align with Ball's. Neither would, Duncan Robinson's either, unless he, like Ball, is wildly over-valued in Free Agency.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-ange...kennard-23607/

You dont have to match dollar for dollar in a sign and trade

Oh, thanks for the lesson. Appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Kennard just got played off the floor in the playoffs on a team with way more defensive prowess than ours. I don't think there's a fit there, per se. To have that kind of defensive liability out there, he would have to be a Duncan Robinson-level shooter, which I don't think he is.

The most likely trade to me has always been Aminu and a 2025 1st. Add a pick to the war chest for the eventual big trade and Aminu is an expiring that helps match salary
    If there is real pressure from Zion's camp, I don't think you can make this deal without some sort of other move lined up; and that pick would have to be basically unprotected.

Zion wants Lonzo back but he isnt gonna pout and leave if he is not. You just better put a winning team around him. Cant trade Lonzo for a future 1st and win 35-40 games. And the Pels know that

Kennard is a career 41.3% 3 point shooter (Robinson is 42.3%).

Zion wants Lonzo back but he isnt gonna pout and leave if he is not. You just better put a winning team around him. Cant trade Lonzo for a future 1st and win 35-40 games. And the Pels know that
    What does Aminu give you that is significantly better than a future 1st though?

Combine a Kennard trade with trading Bledsoe, #10, and #40 for Sexton and Nance Jr would make a nice off season.

Lineup

PG: Sexton/Lewis/2nd round pick
    SG: NAW/Kennard/Didi
    SF: Ingram/Marshall/2nd round pick
    PF: Williamson/Nance Jr.
    C: Adams/Hayes/2nd round pick

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What does Aminu give you that is significantly better than a future 1st though?
    Aminu doesn’t move the needle at all. He isn’t a shooter or lock down defender. He is just a versatile injury prone forward who does nothing great.

I get where you're coming from but Kennard isn't the answer. He averaged 19 minutes on a team that was desperate for wing help all season. At 14 mil per year that just can't happen.

I'm pretty content on keeping Lonzo. Still super young and I think his $20 million market is a lot of hype. I only think New York is willing to grossly overspend on Lonzo and bet on his potential. Every where else... I think it's relatively in the same ballpark as our.

Yep. Let a player with a trajectory pointing upwards go to save money for the free agents that don’t want to come to New Orleans in the first place. Genius idea David Griffin. Bravo. I’m sure Zion is going to love to see Ball go.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it."
    - el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz

Thread Information