Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WojBomb: It's likely going to be Green!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I think the case against a retread as that, unless it's a highly respected coach, retreads tend to lose the support of a locker room faster than a new coach, just as they do with the fan base. If you don't think JJ was in every single player's ear saying "this is gonna suck" when SVG was hired, then you're naive.

Gentry is hired and AD's camp is like, why did we hire a coach with a career losing record.

Maybe not objective facts, but everything we all heard said this was the case.

It's obviously a different story if the retread is Carlisle or someone of that stature, but not a guy like Jacque Vaughn (not saying whether I liked/disliked Vaughn).

Unless he is completely incompetent, Willie Green will get a longer leash in the eyes of both players and fans because he has not had that failure on his resume
    This. There are tiers to this. Would I want a retread like Phil, Carlisle, or Rivers? Sure. Would I want a retread like Vaughn, Gentry, Vogel, or Clifford? No. If I am hiring a retread I want a guy who has shown that he could win regularly. Prior to coming here SVG had losing seasons in 4 of his prior 5 years. Gentry, 2 winning seasons in his prior 5. Those aren’t quality hires. Those are guys getting hired speak to the ineptness of the people doing the hiring or the dire situation of the team.

I am happy to give Green and his staff time to figure it out. Sadly this team needs to make the playoffs this year (or at least the play in) in order to stave off certain people’s desire to leave. Those actions were set in motion before Green got here, and he has to play the hand he was dealt.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

Someone asked about Mac’s candidates. Just dropping them here for posterity.

Cannot see Lee coming as an assistant given it appears the team has overlooked him twice for the HC position. Brown, Mitchell and Stotts are particularly interesting.

WojBomb: It's likely going to be Green!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Cannot see Lee coming as an assistant given it appears the team has overlooked him twice for the HC position. Brown, Mitchell and Stotts are particularly interesting.
    Trajan Langdon came on as GM after the team passed him up for Griffs position. Sure it was still an upgrade at title for him, but he knew he was not THE guy. Lee could be Greens head assistant. Would be an upgrade for him as he is currently behind Darvin Ham.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Whoever it is, lets just get the damn process started already.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    Trajan Langdon came on as GM after the team passed him up for Griffs position. Sure it was still an upgrade at title for him, but he knew he was not THE guy. Lee could be Greens head assistant. Would be an upgrade for him as he is currently behind Darvin Ham.
    We did not pass Langdon over twice and his promotion was pretty significant.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    You think our new head coach would be comfortable with the #1 contender for his job sitting next to him on the bench?

Christian Clark
    @cclark3000
    ?
    Have been told Mitchell interviewed with the Pelicans last week.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    You think our new head coach would be comfortable with the #1 contender for his job sitting next to him on the bench?
    I dont think its likely, but I know for a fact Lee is tired of Bud. He doesnt want to be there, so its possible. Also, our new HC doesnt have a say. They have been interviewing lead assistants for weeks - before they even decided on the Head Coach. If Griff wants Lee and Lee wants to come, Green will accept it
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I dont think its likely, but I know for a fact Lee is tired of Bud. He doesnt want to be there, so its possible. Also, our new HC doesnt have a say. They have been interviewing lead assistants for weeks - before they even decided on the Head Coach. If Griff wants Lee and Lee wants to come, Green will accept it
    Lee being tired of Bud - You can't just gloss over that statement. That needs fleshing out

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Lee being tired of Bud - You can't just gloss over that statement. That needs fleshing out
    Not really. Some people have abrasive personalities and some personalities just don't match well. I can think of half a dozen reasons an assistant coach would tire of the head coach.

WojBomb: It's likely going to be Green!!!

Or it could be as simple as the fact that the guy has coached under Bud since coming into the league. May need to add more stops under his belt.

The Franchise
    We got Griff and Langdon maybe we can get Green and Lee. I hope some decisions are made soon because they should have some input on Sexton or Lonzo. They should still be able to coach whats given to them but to start off on a good foot they could at least be in on the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    We got Griff and Langdon maybe we can get Green and Lee. I hope some decisions are made soon because they should have some input on Sexton or Lonzo. They should still be able to coach whats given to them but to start off on a good foot they could at least be in on the conversation.
    Cant' get input until the finals are over

Griff would have pulled triggers already if teams were willing to move guys. He is not going to wait for a chance yo talk to his future HC if there is a deal available he loves.

Griff would have pulled triggers already if teams were willing to move guys. He is not going to wait for a chance yo talk to his future HC if there is a deal available he loves.
    Exactly. POBO pulls the trigger on trades. Not the HC

Sounds like Green is a done deal. I'm now turning my attention to what staff he will bring in around him.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Sounds like Green is a done deal. I'm now turning my attention to what staff he will bring in around him.
    The staff is already complete and I would say it is heavy on culture and player development and so-so on Xs and Os. Better than last years staff for sure but I think the offensive creativity this season will be a bit of an issue.

The staff is already complete and I would say it is heavy on culture and player development and so-so on Xs and Os. Better than last years staff for sure but I think the offensive creativity this season will be a bit of an issue.
    Is Lee on that staff?

Exactly. POBO pulls the trigger on trades. Not the HC
    I’ll never understand why teams go into the draft or free agency without a head coach, but then, I can’t recall a team doing that and being worth a bowl of dog snot.

Can you name names? Say who's staying?

Mentioned this in another thread, but I think the key to the Pels success offensively is pretty simple. Obviously the pace will determine a large part of the Pels success offensively, as should the offensive glass.

However, I think the most important aspect is just letting BI and Zion get comfortable together in the PnR. Middleton-Giannis is absolutely deadly (when Bud decides to go to it). I say you just run it into the ground. Let BI cook from mid range. Outside of that, just allow Zion to wreak havoc at point and surround him with guys who are automatic from the corners.

With Zion on your team, the offense shouldn't have to be complicated. He'll attract the most gravity in the league, just don't have him sitting there on the block posting up for 36 mpg.

The Franchise
    Just a courtesy phone call. Griff says we gonna get this guy or do you have an opinion on such and such.

The Franchise
    Is Lee more of an offensive or defensive coach? If Green is really a good defensive coach, shouldn’t we bring in a good offensive coach like Weaver? I’d personally love to see Lee and Weaver as top assistants but probably a hard sell.

Thread Information