Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SVG INERVIEW ON ESPN RADIO

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    So you think it will be a 6 month turnaround? Like snap of fingers.
    So do you think all is lost now? You do not even seem to want to see how the offseason progresses or how we use the assets we have.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So do you think all is lost now? You do not even seem to want to see how the offseason progresses or how we use the assets we have.
    For folks like him, the real quest is the WCC Trophy (World Complaining Championship). Congrats to him, though; right now he's a ahead by whisker.

I mean it says it all

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    For folks like him, the real quest is the WCC Trophy (World Complaining Championship). Congrats to him, though; right now he's a ahead by whisker.
    That’s right. I want to be a winner not a loser.

Got a problem with that?

Either Jrue or Solo winning ECF

Let that sink in

That is a question to ask Zion and his parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7XPaGTGUEI

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    That’s right. I want to be a winner not a loser.

Got a problem with that?

Either Jrue or Solo winning ECF

Let that sink in
    I think everyone wants to win. However, you are not willing to see who the coaching hire is before complaining that all is lost. It is as if you have made up your mind to complain about anything and everything that is done (or not done). Why should Jrue or Solo winning the ECF "sink in." They are on much different teams with much different teammates in a much different time.

Knowing what we know now, we probably should have hired Danny Ferry as GM. He was responsible for bringing in Christian Wood and was pivotal in bringing in Julius Randle. Though he played in a different era, at least he played the game and has seen the game from the player's perspective.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I think everyone wants to win. However, you are not willing to see who the coaching hire is before complaining that all is lost. It is as if you have made up your mind to complain about anything and everything that is done (or not done). Why should Jrue or Solo winning the ECF "sink in." They are on much different teams with much different teammates in a much different time.
    He really, really likes to complain. What's interesting is he keeps bumping the Fire Monty thread which predated him.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    The simple fact that SVG continued to play Trash Bledsoe over NAW is a fire able offense. That is just blatant stupidity that hurts the development of our young guys. You gots to go.

Jrue Holiday inching closer to Finals

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Griffin needs to go too, but SVG's insistence on Bledsoe was friable too.

I need to see where the new season takes us to make a decision on Griff. He's made some great moves. Good draft picks. Even the moves that didn't work out (like Bledsoe) looked good on paper. We're still sitting with a great young core and a treasure trove of draft picks. The tone of this thread is like a 2/10 but our future forecast is more like 8/10.

Get some serotonin flowing this offseason, my peeps.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

The hardest thing to do as an employer is to hire the right guy/Gal for a key position. And I would imagine when it comes to salaries in the millions even harder. When someone wants the job, they will tell you whatever they think you want to hear to get it, which again when it comes to a guaranteed 4 year contract in the millions, only exasperates the difficulty.

Let?s be honest when SVG won the gig, he basically won the lottery. Grif and co just read his bull******** wrong.

Glad they fired him now, than to let this fester. Good on Grif acknowledging his mistake, and working toward correcting it.

Let?s hope they get it right this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Erose View Post
    The hardest thing to do as an employer is to hire the right guy/Gal for a key position. And I would imagine when it comes to salaries in the millions even harder. When someone wants the job, they will tell you whatever they think you want to hear to get it, which again when it comes to a guaranteed 4 year contract in the millions, only exasperates the difficulty.

Let?s be honest when SVG won the gig, he basically won the lottery. Grif and co just read his bull******** wrong.

Glad they fired him now, than to let this fester. Good on Grif acknowledging his mistake, and working toward correcting it.

Let?s hope they get it right this time.

I don't understand why 4 and 5 year contracts are the norm for coaches. How does n00b Billups command guaranteed 5 years? Lunacy

2 years, probably too short. For me, 3 years is the sweet spot
    Last edited by AusPel; 07-08-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I don't understand why 4 and 5 year contracts are the norm for coaches. How does n00b Billups command guaranteed 5 years? Lunacy

2 years, probably too short. For me, 3 years is the sweet spot
    I agree with this big time. Teams are often forced to stick with a guy they know isn’t going to move the needle, well before the contract is up. I’m on board with a two year contract for the next coach. Imagine having to sit through two or even three years of Stan with the thought that he was the wrong hire from the start. It’s terrible as a fan and probably even more so as the guy who made the hire. Griff should donate his salary back to the team because he has cost Gayle lots of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I agree with this big time. Teams are often forced to stick with a guy they know isn’t going to move the needle, well before the contract is up. I’m on board with a two year contract for the next coach. Imagine having to sit through two or even three years of Stan with the thought that he was the wrong hire from the start. It’s terrible as a fan and probably even more so as the guy who made the hire. Griff should donate his salary back to the team because he has cost Gayle lots of money.
    Is there a recent example of a coach sticking around because the team didn't want to eat the cost of firing him? Coaches are getting fired right and left, including two after coaching only one year, despite being in the middle of a pandemic with little to no gate revenue.

Sure, you can only offer 3 year contracts, but that's going to limit the pool of coaches available to you...any coach in decent demand will be able to get a 4 or 5 year offers and shouldn't even consider one for 3.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Is there a recent example of a coach sticking around because the team didn't want to eat the cost of firing him? Coaches are getting fired right and left, including two after coaching only one year, despite being in the middle of a pandemic with little to no gate revenue.

Sure, you can only offer 3 year contracts, but that's going to limit the pool of coaches available to you...any coach in decent demand will be able to get a 4 or 5 year offers and shouldn't even consider one for 3.
    Was SVG in that much demand that we needed to give him bloody 4 years? Especially a washed up, re-tread coach that nobody else wanted

Absolute lunacy

Why would any coach sign a 3 year deal if the norm is 4 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Erose View Post
    Why would any coach sign a 3 year deal if the norm is 4 years?

That’s the point being made. Why is the norm 4 years when coaches are getting fired after one?

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post

I don’t believe Alvin or Stan would easily get a 4-5 year deal on the market. It’s the norm of 4-5 years that doesn’t make sense. Especially, when the coach is either a first time head coach or not in the elite tier. It’s just not a realistic amount of time in today’s NBA. Fans aren’t going to show up for 4-5 years with a coach that isn’t succeeding, so in return the organization has to fire the coach and eat the money owed. It seems like bad business for team and zero worries for the coach. Stan is the best example. You can absolutely suck and still get paid.

I'm with wave. SVG was fired after one year. Not sure why we're getting hung up on coach contracts lasting 4 to 5 years when all examples show those lengths have no real meaning.

It takes two to tango...obviously shorter contracts are better for teams and longer contracts are better for coaches and their agents. Over time this has settled in to a fairly standard 4 yr structure with maybe the best of coaches able to get more. What coaches getting fired after one year shows you is that your concern is irrelevant and teams aren't really restricted by the years remaining on a coach's contract.

Thread Information