Pelicans Report

Thread: Pelicans' Trade Partners & Free Agent Targets

Pelicans' Trade Partners & Free Agent Targets

Here are some thoughts on possible trade partners and free agents. After considering other team's needs, salary, and rosters here are possible trade candidates.

Steven Adams
    4 teams need a big & have salary compatible trade candidates. My personal favorite option is Fred VanVleet. The Raptors won with similar style players (Ibaka, Gasol), and they will likely draft a top 4 player at guard. VanVleet would provide improved perimeter defense and 3 PT shooting.

1. Raptors (Fred VanVleet)
    2. Hornets (Terry Rozier)
    3. Kings (Buddy Hield)
    4. Spurs (Rudy Gay)

Eric Bledsoe
    1. New York Knicks - the Knicks have cap space and draft capital. Involving Zo or Hart on a sign and trade is definitely possible but it's harder to project without knowing those players' salary expectations. However even without it we know the Knicks want to trade up. One scenario currently is

Knicks Receive:
    Bledsoe
    Draft Picks (10, 40, 43, 53)

Pelicans Receive:
    Draft Picks (19, 21, & 32)

In this scenario we'd have 2 firsts (19 & 21), 2 early 2nds (32 & 35) and cap relief.

Free Agency
    Which brings me to the free agents. I mainly looked at unrestricted players, and I numbered each prospect's ranking. The primary factors I considered were age, potential salary, PER, per 36 minute stats, and projected team fit. If we traded Bledsoe and Adams, in exchange for Fred VanVleet at PG, Andre Drummond would be an interesting choice. He's young, the leagues best rebounder and defensive big. It would be a better version of Adams.

Bryn Forbes and TJ McConnell aren't household names but their numbers surprised me. Their per 36 min stats, salary and age make them uniquely undervalued in this class. Derozen and Oladipo are 2 of the best players available but both are expensive and do not stretch the floor. Dinwiddie and Oubre Jr are two others that had great numbers, but this SF and PG class is so thin that we should expect they'll command top dollar and starter minutes. What do you guys think? Who did I miss? What targets are you hoping for?

PG
    3. TJ McConnell
    8. Elfrid Payton
    10. Kris Dunn

SG
    2. Demar Derozan
    4. Brynn Forbes
    7. Spencer Dinwiddie
    9. Victor Olidipo
    11. Tyler Johnson
    12. Kent Bazemore
    13. Alex Caruso

SF
    7. Kelly Oubre Jr

C
    1. Andre Drummond (if we trade Adams for say VanVleet)
    5. Willy Hernangomez
    6. Hassan Whiteside

I’m all for VanVleet!!!

I also like your NY trade idea.
    Last edited by Butters; 06-29-2021 at 09:05 PM.

The Franchise
    I love the NY trade too. Grab Trey Murray and Bones Hyland. Murray I think will be a good 3&D and Bones will be a better Buddy for a lot cheaper. I think they’ll be great role players which will be important moving forward especially if we get another star.

Norman Powell

Good call on Powell. After a deeper dive I'd like to add Kendrick Nunn and Robert Williams to the list. Both are highly efficient and underutilized. TJ McConnell is my top target bc we don't have a PG to run the half court offense and I think he's a top steal and assists type PG. Kendrick Nunn looks like instant offense too and I don't think Miami will be able to bring him back.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWannabe View Post
    Here are some thoughts on possible trade partners and free agents. After considering other team's needs, salary, and rosters here are possible trade candidates.

Steven Adams
    4 teams need a big & have salary compatible trade candidates. My personal favorite option is Fred VanVleet. The Raptors won with similar style players (Ibaka, Gasol), and they will likely draft a top 4 player at guard. VanVleet would provide improved perimeter defense and 3 PT shooting.

1. Raptors (Fred VanVleet)
    2. Hornets (Terry Rozier)
    3. Kings (Buddy Hield)
    4. Spurs (Rudy Gay)

Eric Bledsoe
    1. New York Knicks - the Knicks have cap space and draft capital. Involving Zo or Hart on a sign and trade is definitely possible but it's harder to project without knowing those players' salary expectations. However even without it we know the Knicks want to trade up. One scenario currently is

Knicks Receive:
    Bledsoe
    Draft Picks (10, 40, 43, 53)

Pelicans Receive:
    Draft Picks (19, 21, & 32)

In this scenario we'd have 2 firsts (19 & 21), 2 early 2nds (32 & 35) and cap relief.

Free Agency
    Which brings me to the free agents. I mainly looked at unrestricted players, and I numbered each prospect's ranking. The primary factors I considered were age, potential salary, PER, per 36 minute stats, and projected team fit. If we traded Bledsoe and Adams, in exchange for Fred VanVleet at PG, Andre Drummond would be an interesting choice. He's young, the leagues best rebounder and defensive big. It would be a better version of Adams.

Bryn Forbes and TJ McConnell aren't household names but their numbers surprised me. Their per 36 min stats, salary and age make them uniquely undervalued in this class. Derozen and Oladipo are 2 of the best players available but both are expensive and do not stretch the floor. Dinwiddie and Oubre Jr are two others that had great numbers, but this SF and PG class is so thin that we should expect they'll command top dollar and starter minutes. What do you guys think? Who did I miss? What targets are you hoping for?

PG
    3. TJ McConnell
    8. Elfrid Payton
    10. Kris Dunn

SG
    2. Demar Derozan
    4. Brynn Forbes
    7. Spencer Dinwiddie
    9. Victor Olidipo
    11. Tyler Johnson
    12. Kent Bazemore
    13. Alex Caruso

SF
    7. Kelly Oubre Jr

C
    1. Andre Drummond (if we trade Adams for say VanVleet)
    5. Willy Hernangomez
    6. Hassan Whiteside

nice list. although I'd move Kelley Oubre up. I believe his low shooting percentages last year were an outlier and are bound to improve next year. He's versatile enough to getting us a step closer to being a positionless basketball team and strong enough to guard the stellar SF's in the league that Ingram cannot

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I love the NY trade too. Grab Trey Murray and Bones Hyland. Murray I think will be a good 3&D and Bones will be a better Buddy for a lot cheaper. I think they’ll be great role players which will be important moving forward especially if we get another star.

that's two good choices btw. It's amazing that Trey Murphy isnt valued higher than current projections. Seemingly he is what 3&D is all about

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    nice list. although I'd move Kelley Oubre up. I believe his low shooting percentages last year were an outlier and are bound to improve next year. He's versatile enough to getting us a step closer to being a positionless basketball team and strong enough to guard the stellar SF's in the league that Ingram cannot
    It wasn’t an outlier, Oubre has never been a good 3pt shooter, matter of fact he’s always been a bad one. Career 32% from 3.

How about this 3 team deal and free agency?

Cavs get:

PG Eric Bledsoe
    SG Buddy Hield
    2021 #10 pick

Kings get:

PF Kevin Love
    C Steven Adams
    2021 Pels #40 pick
    2022 Lakers 1st round pick

Pels get:

PG Colin Sexton
    SF Harrison Barnes
    PF Larry Nance Jr.

Re-sign Hart. Let Ball walk. Sign Olynyk to full MLE

Lineup:

PG: Sexton/Lewis/2nd round pick
    SG: Ingram/NAW/Didi
    SF: Barnes/Hart/Marshall
    PF: Williamson/Nance Jr.
    C: Olynyk/Hayes/2nd round pick
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 07-11-2021 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post

Cavs get:

PG Eric Bledsoe
    SG Buddy Hield
    2021 #10 pick

Kings get:

PF Kevin Love
    C Steven Adams
    2021 Pels #40 pick

Pels get:

PG Colin Sexton
    SF Harrison Barnes
    PF Larry Nance Jr.

Re-sign Hart and Hernangomez. Let Ball walk.

Lineup:

C: Hernangomez/Hayes/2nd round pick
    Instead of H'Gomez, go get Kelly Olynyk.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post

Cavs get:

PG Eric Bledsoe
    SG Buddy Hield
    2021 #10 pick

Kings get:

PF Kevin Love
    C Steven Adams
    2021 Pels #40 pick

Pels get:

PG Colin Sexton
    SF Harrison Barnes
    PF Larry Nance Jr.

Re-sign Hart. Let Ball walk. Sign Olynyk to full MLE

Lineup:

C: Olynyk/Hayes/2nd round pick
    If the Cavs wanted to take on Buddy?s contract they?d just resign Sexton. And they wouldn?t lose nance in that scenario who they love.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    If the Cavs wanted to take on Buddy?s contract they?d just resign Sexton. And they wouldn?t lose nance in that scenario who they love.
    They are basically trading Kevin Love’s contract for Hield’s contract in this scenario. You can take Love and Hield out of the deal and it still works.

Thread Information