Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Head Coaching Search Thread

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Willie Green is an option too? I met him once. He thought the Country Bears was an alright movie. It wasn't. It was terrible.

I have ot question his judgement.

I also met Chris Paul at that event. I was...slightly star struck. I almost took his hand out of the person he was shaking's to my right. So much cringe in that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Willie Green is an option too? I met him once. He thought the Country Bears was an alright movie. It wasn't. It was terrible.

I also met Chris Paul at that event. I was...slightly star struck. I almost took his hand out of the person he was shaking's to my right. So much cringe in that moment.
    You are great person man. Keep it up.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It must’ve been Yogi Bear, actually.

Anywho. If we’re considering MD we are really about to target some shooting in trades and free agency or whatever. But I remember the dude going small almost religiously. Will that mesh with Hayes’s development?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Mosley is a dark horse. Worked with Griff for years, gets along with todays player. Lee still heavy fav though
    Mosley I like him. Comes from Pop and Carlisle coaching trees

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

What does Greivis Vasquez do these days?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Mosley is a dark horse. Worked with Griff for years, gets along with todays player. Lee still heavy fav though
    What kind of time frame are we looking at? Seems it has to be soon.

I wouldn?t be against Becky, but I understand everyone passing on her (including us). It is still a bonafide risk for several reasons.

1. It would be a media circus show. I?m not sure the Pels would come out of it alive if it failed.
    2. We have no idea how the players would react to her long term. Short term- sure it?s be an achievement for mankind- the players would love her yada yada. Would the players respond to her if the going got tough though?

I think she could do it personally. But she should probably start at a club with less at stake than us. It?s still a bit of a social experiment until she proves herself.

What coach wouldnt be a risk? Sincerely asking

It is very easy to say what kind of coach wont work because over a long enough timeline they all fail. The college coach supposedly always fails. The retread is bad. The hot assistant? Failed far more times than succeeded.

This is why I never understand why people get so worked up one way or another - saying X candidate is terrible and Y candidate is the right answer and must be the hire. Coaches are hired to be fired. They almost all fail and there is no formula for trying to figure out which one will succeed. The best you can do as an organization is put a good enough roster on the court and a solid enough support staff around them, that the team succeeds even on their off days/when they make poor choices
    @mcnamara247

Timeline is a little weird here? Two heavy favorites, Lee and Vaughn...then a late interview for Vinson, then Vaughn withdraws from consideration (which usually means we're about to hire someone else, then, instead of announcing a hire, news of a D'Antoni interview? Did Lee turn us down?

Lee may be waiting to see results of Bucks series. If they lose he may think he is in line for that job should it become available.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Timeline is a little weird here? Two heavy favorites, Lee and Vaughn...then a late interview for Vinson, then Vaughn withdraws from consideration (which usually means we're about to hire someone else, then, instead of announcing a hire, news of a D'Antoni interview? Did Lee turn us down?
    It just means none of these people really know what the hell they're talking about. Especially the rumorville circus.

That's why I've completely ignored it all and just wait until the team names their coach.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Wondering the same. Either that or the Pels are getting mixed messages from him and need to have some backups in place. He was supposedly the heavy favorite from the beginning, but seems like there is some backfill being done on the interviews. Could it be that some of the interviews are potential staff?

Why is everyone super impatient? It's been less than 3 weeks since we fired SVG

Have some Got damn patience. It's super important Griff gets this right

Has anyone posted that we interviewed D’antoni today?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Has anyone posted that we interviewed D’antoni today?
    Lol he going to hire his buddy?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

Yeah let’s just wait till October. More time to listen to Zion wants to leave. More guessing who we hire. Let this carry on please! Go take a vacation and clear your mind Grif.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Yeah let’s just wait till October. More time to listen to Zion wants to leave. More guessing who we hire. Let this carry on please! Go take a vacation and clear your mind Grif.
    Do you usually take things way out of context unnecessarily? Or is this just your way of trolling? Or are you just in "win now" mode?

D'antoni as associate head coach to run the offense would be nice, doubtful but nice...

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

The draft is in 29 days. We have to (likely) implement an entire new offense/defense prior to the start of the season. It was super important he got the decision right last year and look how that turned out. This was not a spur of the moment parting of ways, this was well thought out and planned over weeks of conversations.. Griff stated “philosophical differences” as a reason for the parting of SVG, you don’t make that decision without knowing candidates that seem to have philosophical similarities. So all in all yes it’s better to make the correct decision, but I don’t believe this process started the day SVG was fired. Griff has done nothing to earn any patience from others.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    D'antoni as associate head coach to run the offense would be nice, doubtful but nice...
    Zion would lose about 30 pounds from all the running lol

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Do you usually take things way out of context unnecessarily? Or is this just your way of trolling? Or are you just in "win now" mode?
    Ask that question to Zion, Zions parents.

On that note draft workouts have started.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 06-30-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I would love Mosley in that position I’d prefer Carlisle’s system.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    It just means none of these people really know what the hell they're talking about. Especially the rumorville circus.

That's why I've completely ignored it all and just wait until the team names their coach.
    This.

I've been following the Pels long enough to see that we have no insiders. A lot of decent speculators, a lot of mouth pieces for agents/teams that will say whatever they need to in order to gain negotiating leverage.....but no insiders.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Fine.

Griff will wait for Willie Green to answer his voicemails.

Have a very strong hunch it will be Willie Green. My mind changes every day but I?m actually rooting for it to be him. Working under Kerr, Monty, playing under guys like Doc Rivers. I think he?d be a great hire.

Thread Information