Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Head Coaching Search Thread

I imagine all the signings happening last week and this were pretty much already setup before the positions opened or at least they checked the interest before they fired the previous coach.

I'm not pretending to be an expert or know who we should pick. I just like asking questions so I can hopefully get excited about the choices. Just like with SVG, right or wrong I will look to find hope in whomever they pick because I find more enjoyment rooting for the team than bemoaning their choices before I even see it on the floor. Being a Pelicans fan has been rough enough, I need to look for the hope to find the joy.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Kidd turned down Portland because Dallas was in his hip pocket.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/w...-than-answers/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rs-his-critics

Team officials had also grown concerned that Kidd's demanding, old-school style had worn thin. Players were tuning Kidd out?or already had last season, according to one source with close ties to the team
    Who does this sound like??????? Yeah we dodged a bullet

He’s another SVG

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/w...-than-answers/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rs-his-critics

Who does this sound like??????? Yeah we dodged a bullet

He’s another SVG
    Pretty sure nobody here wanted him thankfully. Guy is a sociopath.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Vaughn - or Lee - both seem like solid enough choices for me to get behind. Let's do this.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    Vaughn - or Lee - both seem like solid enough choices for me to get behind. Let's do this.
    Agreed. Lean towards Lee a bit, but Vaughn will be fine too

Would be crazy if one (Vaughn or Lee) was hired here and the other is hired as his lead assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Would be crazy if one (Vaughn or Lee) was hired here and the other is hired as his lead assistant.
    That wouldn't work no way the head coach would trust the other guy. And plus I doubt the guy who doesn't get the job wants to work under the guy who just beat him for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    That wouldn't work no way the head coach would trust the other guy. And plus I doubt the guy who doesn't get the job wants to work under the guy who just beat him for the job.
    A promotion from his current position and a pay raise change minds.

I would go with Billups if he is back on the market.

However I could be swayed to Vaughn if he could bring in Scott Pollard to coach our bigs.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar

So Vaughn, Lee or Witherspoon at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by ozwego15 View Post
    So Vaughn, Lee or Witherspoon at this point?
    We're not being the 1st NBA team in history to have a female head coach. There's just no way that Griffin will put his neck on the line for that sort of experiment

It's Lee or Vaughn and I'm leaning towards it being Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    We're not being the 1st NBA team in history to have a female head coach. There's just no way that Griffin will put his neck on the line for that sort of experiment

I know he checks some of your boxes, but a career .288 record as a head coach?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

Definitely not Spoon at the very least. You can argue Hammon has multiple years under an all time great coach. The Spoon shouts are a bit over the top and more of an idealistic dream at this point in time.

Since it seems to be down to Lee or Vaughn I'd like to hear everyone's on who they want of the two and why

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    Since it seems to be down to Lee or Vaughn I'd like to hear everyone's on who they want of the two and why
    Nobody does, nor can they, have an educated opinion on this. So, if you are looking for knowledge to inform your own excitement, or lack there of, it would not not be well informed by anyone here.

It would be the equivalent of asking somebody who we should draft out of a pool of guys who have only ever played behind closed doors. No game film, no stats, no combine testing. Just stories told by some people who were there, and only about 1/100th of those stories get out and are put in some kind of a fluff piece. Or hit piece.

It is literally impossible for any of us to have an educated opinion on either guy, and my best friend worked with one of them for multiple years. Yet, he has zero way of knowing if the guy will make a good Head Coach
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    If it's these two or bust, I'm all in on Lee. I simply can't ignore the history and Vaughn has a history. Vaughn is a .288 coach who, in three season with Orlando, never won more than 23 games. I know it's fashionable today to erase the past, but I can't get past his proven track record. If he gets the job, Trajan Langdon did a great sales job.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Nobody does, nor can they, have an educated opinion on this. So, if you are looking for knowledge to inform your own excitement, or lack there of, it would not not be well informed by anyone here.

It would be the equivalent of asking somebody who we should draft out of a pool of guys who have only ever played behind closed doors. No game film, no stats, no combine testing. Just stories told by some people who were there, and only about 1/100th of those stories get out and are put in some kind of a fluff piece. Or hit piece.

It is literally impossible for any of us to have an educated opinion on either guy, and my best friend worked with one of them for multiple years. Yet, he has zero way of knowing if the guy will make a good Head Coach
    But one has a history to hang is hat on (or is get hung by).

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Is it for sure down to those 2? Has Vanterpool interviewed?

Is there anything showing we are looking at Becky Hammon ?

I haven't been keeping up, but I've heard discussion of Fred Vinson. Is there still interest there?

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollins9 View Post
    I haven't been keeping up, but I've heard discussion of Fred Vinson. Is there still interest there?
    He was a candidate early on and then miraculously it was down to two names. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not Vaughn or Lee hired. I, personally, would love to see Vinson get the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    He was a candidate early on and then miraculously it was down to two names. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not Vaughn or Lee hired. I, personally, would love to see Vinson get the job.
    If Zion approves I’m happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Me too. News came out today they're going to interview Vinson. A decision won't come until after that. So it's Vaughn, Lee, Vinson. Just wonder why they're taking so long to interview Vinson. I would hate for this guy to leave us and go somewhere else and do a great job w/ another team. I don't know, I just think he's the guy and we should give him a chance.

Pelicans Head Coaching Search Thread

If we really wanna make a hard run at Dame, David Vanterpool is a guy we should consider. They are incredibly close. Some quick googling will bring up stories about the two. I thought he should be a candidate regardless. He is a players coach who has a good rep around the league.

Thread Information