Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Head Coaching Search Thread

We're gonna screw this up again, aren't we?

Griffin really wants to go to Seattle, doesn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Make a move. So we can complain about it.
    There was a reason he didnt hire anybody yet. That reason has now passed and the team has focused in on two guys. No clue which way he is leaning. I would say Lee was the heavy favorite coming into this, but Vaughn has closed the gap. Might come down to thier assistants they can each pull. Whats funny is that I know both have reached out to the same guy about one of the spots (coach named Ott, they both worked with). So, we should know in the next week or so. The thing Griff was waiting to see has been seen and he can now move forward
    @mcnamara247

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    There was a reason he didnt hire anybody yet. That reason has now passed and the team has focused in on two guys. No clue which way he is leaning. I would say Lee was the heavy favorite coming into this, but Vaughn has closed the gap. Might come down to thier assistants they can each pull. Whats funny is that I know both have reached out to the same guy about one of the spots (coach named Ott, they both worked with). So, we should know in the next week or so. The thing Griff was waiting to see has been seen and he can now move forward
    Good to know. Full disclaimer my comment was making fun of the previous comments about sitting on hands. Like there’s not a process occurring in the countless phone and Zoom and in person interviews we don’t see. Even if y’all eventually won't like the move anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I'm just relieved that both guys are black
    I like the fact that both have come to terms with the modern athlete. And arent going to coddle them, but are willing to meet them half way and not just force old school on them. Something Vaughn admitted to trying to do in Orlando, and something he learned from.

I wont pretend to know which one will be better, but I do know that both will vibe better with the players and probably with a staff of TSpoon, Corey Brewer, and others who will be on the same page with the HC, moreso than they were last year when they played good cop to SVG's bad cop

I like the fact that both have come to terms with the modern athlete. And arent going to coddle them, but are willing to meet them half way and not just force old school on them. Something Vaughn admitted to trying to do in Orlando, and something he learned from.

I wont pretend to know which one will be better, but I do know that both will vibe better with the players and probably with a staff of TSpoon, Corey Brewer, and others who will be on the same page with the HC, moreso than they were last year when they played good cop to SVG's bad cop
    Does Zion and his parents approve of the two?

So was he waiting on Billups? Was that his first choice?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Does Zion and his parents approve of the two?
    This is an important point

I'm just relieved that both guys are black
    I hope this isn't actually part of their decision making process. You shouldn't eliminate candidates based on the color of their skin. period.

And it's not like Stan was someone backwards guy either that the Pelicans need to move away from, he's more outspoken than anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I hope this isn't actually part of their decision making process. You shouldn't eliminate candidates based on the color of their skin. period.

And it's not like Stan was someone backwards guy either that the Pelicans need to move away from, he's more outspoken than anybody.
    Severely overweight, 5 foot nothing SVG in his 60s was probably the most unrelatable coach of all time for a bunch of young dudes in their early 20s

Another tick for Griffin's decision making prowess (or lack thereof)
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-26-2021 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So was he waiting on Billups? Was that his first choice?
    Not his first choice. But if a superstar wants a guy and that team not hiring the guy could make the superstar want out....wouldnt you wait to see how that plays out? If a coach that I already like can get a superstar to put my team on his demand list, I would wait to see how that all plays out. Especially if my other two candidates arent being offered other jobs. Whats the rush?

This is an important point
    Zion and his parents have no clue who Vaughn or Lee are. Would have no opinion. Its the organization as a whole they are dissuaded by. Almost every major decision, they have disagreed with. Time for some correct decisions to be made, and then you hope they have an open mind, which it sounds like Zion does. Cant speak for his parents

Zion and his parents have no clue who Vaughn or Lee are. Would have no opinion. Its the organization as a whole they are dissuaded by. Almost every major decision, they have disagreed with
    This seems incongruent to me, unless you're saying his parents know who Lee and/or Vaughn are

Since hiring a head coach is a major decision

How could they have an opinion on people they know nothing about, unless they have someone they want to appoint?

Winning cures all, just like production does in sales. Get a good coach, get some talented players, win games.

If we can be patient because no one else is looking at our top two choices when so many positions opened up should that not be a red flag ?

This seems incongruent to me, unless you're saying his parents know who Lee and/or Vaughn are

How could they have an opinion on people they know nothing about, unless they have someone they want to appoint?
    I'm guessing it's that they disagreed with hiring SVG. Disagreed with trading Jrue & JJ (buy out JJ instead). Disagreed with holding Zion out so much his rookie year for injury fears. Disagreed with trading for Adams to clog the paint and maybe to keep Bledsoe in the starting lineup.

For Billups, sounds like Lillard wanted Billups and the Pelicans signing him as their head coach could potentially get Lillard to want to be traded to New Orleans... so instead, Portland quickly signed him. Probably can cross off Lillard from the list of tradable players this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    If we can be patient because no one else is looking at our top two choices when so many positions opened up should that not be a red flag ?
    I will say I find it interesting how Dallas wasted no time in appointing a coach. But they did hire Kidd who a lot of people say is a huge kent.

I also kind of hate Billups so good on you Portland.

Lee or Vaughn is great with me, I'm way more happy about either of these guys than frickin SVG

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    For Billups, sounds like Lillard wanted Billups and the Pelicans signing him as their head coach could potentially get Lillard to want to be traded to New Orleans... so instead, Portland quickly signed him. Probably can cross off Lillard from the list of tradable players this offseason.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure Dame chose who he wanted in Portland.

It won't be that much different than Zion choosing whom he wants here

Severely overweight, 5 foot nothing SVG in his 60s was probably the most unrelatable coach of all time for a bunch of young dudes in their early 20s

Another tick for Griffin's decision making prowess (or lack thereof)
    Idk, I don't think you are giving players enough credit. Thibs had success and is probably less on paper relatable than SVG. It's an easy scapegoat to say SVG failed to reach players because of things he can't change, the reality is team chemistry is a complicated mix of personalities that you can't fully quantify reasons why players don't respond to their coach. Sometimes they respond sometimes they don't.

I think SVG's attitude deserves a lot of the blame, but JJ quitting on him before the season even started and Bledsoe shortly after that didnt help. Not even going to speculate what the hell was going on with Ingram.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    Isn't the Wizard's the only other job open after us. And this year coaching searched is unique to me each team candidate fits a specific need that really only that team is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    Isn't the Wizard's the only other job open after us. And this year coaching searched is unique to me each team candidate fits a specific need that really only that team is looking for.
    and Orlando.

Same way you guys dont know anything about these coaches but will have an opinion based on the results afterward

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

I will say I find it interesting how Dallas wasted no time in appointing a coach. But they did hire Kidd who a lot of people say is a huge kent.
    Kidd turned down Portland because Dallas was in his hip pocket.

Thread Information