Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Head Coaching Search Thread

Rumor Pelicans Head Coaching Search Thread

I know Charles Lee was the early favorite, but Vaughn is someone I thought had a better shot. I prefer Lee, but apparently Vaughn is gaining some momentum.

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/14...152488452?s=19
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Windhorst. I would think he is a backup candidate if others (i.e. Lee) turn down the job. I would hope he would be no higher than 3rd or 4th on our list, but with the Langdon connection, could be our #2 choice.

Seems like it's down to Lee or Vaughn

Can anyone fill me in on Vaughn ? I don’t remember him as being special as a player and has always been sub .300 as a head coach.

Started on the Popovich coaching tree

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacque_Vaughn

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    Can anyone fill me in on Vaughn ? I don?t remember him as being special as a player and has always been sub .300 as a head coach.
    Terrible HC record with a 13-14 magic team who went 23-59 with a squad of: afflalfo, dipo, harkless, tobias harris, jameer, vucuvic, etwuan (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Seems like it's down to Lee or Vaughn
    I hope it's Lee. He worked on Wall Street which is essentially a sales job and the one attribute I'm hyping for is someone who can motivate i.e., sell. He also has been part of the best defensive team in the league. Hes young, former college HOF for Bucknell who upset Kansas. Was recruited as a player by Sam Presti when he was with the Spurs but ultimately played overseas. Overall it's a high upside hire.

With Ime Udoka I understood the attraction, and though he always seemed destined to the Celtics he would have been my favorite. Vaughn being with Pops one season as a talent scout is good but doesn't really move the meter for me. Lee has his position with the Bucks thanks to his relationship with the head coach who seems to be barely keeping his job and may lose it if the Hawks overcome the Bucks.

Billups might be available , if not Hammon seems much more the Pops protege than Lee. If neither of those are available and you are looking for a salesperson I would rotate back to Spoon who seems to have the ear and respect of our two superstars and Kira and other young players. Who else is available ?

With Ime Udoka I understood the attraction, and though he always seemed destined to the Celtics he would have been my favorite. Vaughn being with Pops one season as a talent scout is good but doesn't really move the meter for me. Lee has his position with the Bucks thanks to his relationship with the head coach who seems to be barely keeping his job and may lose it if the Hawks overcome the Bucks.

Billups might be available , if not Hammon seems much more the Pops protege than Lee. If neither of those are available and you are looking for a salesperson I would rotate back to Spoon who seems to have the ear and respect of our two superstars and Kira and other young players. Who else is available ?
    Are you discounting Lee because of his relationship with Bud? Why? I would think all of the assistants have a relationship with the head coach.

Shamit likes him for some reason

There you have it. Ties with Trajan. Grif failed with his hire now it’s Trajan’s turn

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Are you discounting Lee because of his relationship with Bud? Why? I would think all of the assistants have a relationship with the head coach.
    I don't think Bud has done a great job in the playoffs in general and has not used the Greek Freak in a successful way and he is close enough to Zion in style to make me nervous there. If Lee was attached to a head coach I liked and respected that would be another thing. Its not that I hate Bud, he has just been a regular season king but playoff pauper. If the Nets had any heal th at all he would have suffered another early playoff loss this year. The Bucks should have dominated a limping Harden, no Kyrie team.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    There you have it. Ties with Trajan. Grif failed with his hire now it’s Trajan’s turn

Fletch's "sources" are twitter and instagram. He also stated previously that his sources told him Spoon was very much in consideration, right after he aired and interview with Griffin saying basically she was not. So, I guess his "sources" know more than the person making the hire.

I don't think Bud has done a great job in the playoffs in general and has not used the Greek Freak in a successful way and he is close enough to Zion in style to make me nervous there. If Lee was attached to a head coach I liked and respected that would be another thing. Its not that I hate Bud, he has just been a regular season king but playoff pauper. If the Nets had any heal th at all he would have suffered another early playoff loss this year. The Bucks should have dominated a limping Harden, no Kyrie team.
    But is that is the case, wouldn't you automatically discount Spoon since she was on SVG's staff?

But is that is the case, wouldn't you automatically discount Spoon since she was on SVG's staff?
    If that was what she was hanging her hat on yes, most definitely. With Spoon we know she has reached our current core and has helped their development and one interview specifically mentions improving Zion's game. That ability , to reach young players and make a positive improvement, to inspire and lead them attracts me. I am nervous that she is new to the men's side of the NBA but she is a HOF player herself and has head coaching experience in other Basketball leagues.

Lee never made it to regular NBA season games and later became part of Bud's staff. If someone could link to interviews were he was inspiring / relating to / improving the game of / earning the respect of younger NBA players, especially Jrue, Giannis, or even better Zion , Ingram, Hayes, NAW etc then that would be a big mark up in his favor. If he was the defensive mind behind the Bucks that would be a big one as well. I have read one snippet from Kevin Arnovitz where he praises everything you could about Lee but I don't know if it is a fluff piece or not.

I am not trying to be passive aggressive and shoot down candidates by saying has anyone heard anything and implying there is nothing to be heard. I am just openly interested in learning about them, with references from as many first hand sources as possible. Grabbing Lee because we was an assistant with a wildly successful regular season NBA program has me seeing visions of a less successful Gentry. There has to be more to it.

If we're going off Fletch's "sources"... Charles Lee will be the coach lol.

Hire a defensive minded HC, and hire Jahmal (sp?) Mosley from Dallas as an assistant to install Carlisle's offense.

Fletch's "sources" are twitter and instagram. He also stated previously that his sources told him Spoon was very much in consideration, right after he aired and interview with Griffin saying basically she was not. So, I guess his "sources" know more than the person making the hire.
    Go read Shamit twitter

Go read Shamit twitter
    What should I be looking for? He seems to have one source who said he would be a good hire and since then he seems to be trying to prove it to his followers by ignoring his record and focusing on what the source told him about how he forges relationships. That is certainly something the team needs, someone who can relate to the players. I have not seen him say he is the favorite, although could have missed it.

Hall of Famer
    Give me Chauncey billups hes the next juwan howard

What should I be looking for? He seems to have one source who said he would be a good hire and since then he seems to be trying to prove it to his followers by ignoring his record and focusing on what the source told him about how he forges relationships. That is certainly something the team needs, someone who can relate to the players. I have not seen him say he is the favorite, although could have missed it.
    READ POST #1 not by me

Sit on your hands, Griff.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Make a move. So we can complain about it.

Thread Information