Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lottery Tonight

Things to watch that could potentially impact the Pelicans:

Cleveland has 2 guards already and will likely be looking at drafting a guard at 3 so they could move Garland, Sexton, or 3

OKC missing out makes them more likely to look to move up.

The other 3 top 4 teams probably stay unless Hou gets a godfather offer from Presti or something

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    We can all agree he's been quite the disaster
    He has one final shot at redemption with this offseason. I can admit I was wrong giving him the benefit of the doubt with most of the moves he's made. This is his final chance to atone for the BS.

Can't tell you how relieved I am at OKC only getting 6.

That's pretty much their worst case scenario. Was terrified they would get 1 and 5

Davion Mitchell at 10 is pretty legit

All of OKC's picks from the Westbrook trade are top 4 protected. Would be funny if they only ended up with one late pick out of it. So much for being an awesome trade for them.

All-Star
    Since Minnesota doesn't have a pick lets send them a package including the 10th to get KAT.

I'm on the Kispert train !

As everyone knows Griff says his priority is 3 point shooting, and Kispert is apparently the best pure shooter in the draft. He has decent size, can defend a bit and contribute immediately, which suits our timeline, on a rookie salary. What's not to love?

Aside from a low ceiling, but we don't need any more young projects at the moment.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    If Griff is going by the Loomis formula that is not who we will draft. As of a matter of fact it could be someone projected in the 2nd round that we pick at 10. Just watch.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    No doubt. Him or Scottie Barnes seem like the best fits for our team. High energy defenders who can make others around them better

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWannabe View Post
    No doubt. Him or Scottie Barnes seem like the best fits for our team. High energy defenders who can make others around them better
    Mitchell? Yes, Barnes would be a terrible fit IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWannabe View Post
    Don’t get your hopes up. Grif could be shopping the pick per MM

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Mitchell? Yes, Barnes would be a terrible fit IMO
    I love Barnes, but him not being able to play off ball right now could be an issue. Would be a project, we're likely not drafting a project. I see the pick 100% being Mitchell if he's there

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Don?t get your hopes up. Grif could be shopping the pick per MM
    and MM is spot on about this.... he should absolutely be shopping that pick....and others too....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    and MM is spot on about this.... he should absolutely be shopping that pick....and others too....
    With pick 10, the New Orleans Pelicans select

Domantas Sabonis!

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    Just to be clear, I am not a fan of him rushing right now - looking to be so aggressive in moving the pick (and others) for a player. I just know that IS what he is doing, but it wouldnt be what I would do if I was him.

History says you can get better value as a buyer in season. I would rather do the trade back method and then trade those picks out for future years, and then wait for the inevitable sellers to emerge - and we have even more picks to make those deals work.

So, my path would be something like trading 10 and 53 for 16, 18, and 34. Then, I trade 16 to someone like Miami, who doesnt have a pick in this draft for a far out future top 10-12 protected 1st. Take 18, trade it to someone for a future lotto protected 1st and a 2nd.

Use 34 and 35 on cheap flyers that could have easily been 1st rounders. Then, take 40 and 43 and package them for for two future 2nds each.

You walk out of the draft with two future 1sts, 5 future seconds for the war chest. And at 34 and 35, you do what Memphis does and gets two upperclassmen who can contribute doing their rookie deal. Guys like Herbert Jones, Neemias Queta, Kessler Edwards, etc

That would be the path I would personally go down.
    @mcnamara247

You walk out of the draft with two future 1sts, 5 future seconds for the war chest. And at 34 and 35, you do what Memphis does and gets two upperclassmen who can contribute doing their rookie deal. Guys like Herbert Jones, Neemias Queta, Kessler Edwards, etc

In a vacuum that's the smart play but I don't see that as an option for him this off-season. He can keep adding to the war chest all he wants but if they have a losing record at the trade deadline again, that might be the nail in the Zion coffin

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    In a vacuum that's the smart play but I don't see that as an option for him this off-season. He can keep adding to the war chest all he wants but if they have a losing record at the trade deadline again, that might be the nail in the Zion coffin
    This is where I am -- If Zion really is THAT guy, you can put together a good enough roster around him to be competitive this offseason in other ways. Like, I said, you get the two upperclassman who can hopefully give you something similar to what Bane and Tillman gave Memphis. Rotation minutes from them. You send out Bledsoe and Adams for someone like Love. You use the MLE on someone like Alec Burks, and that roster around Zion is better than what Luka had around him, what Lillard had around him, etc. And thats before you even factor in the internal growth for guys like Jax, NAW, and Kira and the upgrade (hopefully) of coach.

That team should be in the 6, 7 range in the WC when a guy comes available and then you unload for that guy, catapault even more up the West, win a series, and get Zion to sign next summer. How I would play it

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    And thats before you even factor in the internal growth for guys like Jax, NAW, and Kira and the upgrade (hopefully) of coach.
    I'm -- probably foolishly -- still hoping that a coaching change nets us an improvement in effort and therefore an improvement in all-aroundplay.. Especially defensive effort if we can get a coach that moves away from stupid ****** "Pack the Paint and Let Everyone Shoot 3s All Night" scheme from van gundy

Problem is running it back with the same roster is another spit in the face of Zion

Just to be clear, I am not a fan of him rushing right now - looking to be so aggressive in moving the pick (and others) for a player. I just know that IS what he is doing, but it wouldnt be what I would do if I was him.

History says you can get better value as a buyer in season. I would rather do the trade back method and then trade those picks out for future years, and then wait for the inevitable sellers to emerge - and we have even more picks to make those deals work.

So, my path would be something like trading 10 and 53 for 16, 18, and 34. Then, I trade 16 to someone like Miami, who doesnt have a pick in this draft for a far out future top 10-12 protected 1st. Take 18, trade it to someone for a future lotto protected 1st and a 2nd.

Use 34 and 35 on cheap flyers that could have easily been 1st rounders. Then, take 40 and 43 and package them for for two future 2nds each.

That would certainly be the smart move if nothing enticing evolved for the #10. However, I really think Griffin will be in panic mode and want results now.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    That would certainly be the smart move if nothing enticing evolved for the #10. However, I really think Griffin will be in panic mode and want results now.
    My worst fear, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Yo I was rollin too LOL Swin was p!ssed (as was I).

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    OKC gets screwed out of one of their Russell Westbrook picks, and Houston potentially gets a decent player to build around... OKC doesn't get anymore picks from that Westbrook trade until 2024 when Houston might be at the bottom of the lottery or in the playoffs.
    They got a couple million other 1sts they'll be fine.

SNIP

If you knew you had time to build like this, then that would be a great idea, but I think Griff may feel some pressure to get things done NOW. We've seen it play out in Boston where Ainge had all that ammo in his war chest, but he really never used it to make the Celtics better. He drafted REALLY well by getting guys like Tatum, Brown and Smart, but Griff hasn't had that kind of luck (aside from Zion).

He used AD to get the ball rolling with picks for the future, and some young talent on the roster, but some in the organization may feel its time for Griff to "crap" or get off the pot.

There's gotta be a way Griff can use some assets to get guys in to "win now", and also stash some things for the future. I just hope he doesn't make panic moves and kill our present and future.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    If you knew you had time to build like this, then that would be a great idea, but I think Griff may feel some pressure to get things done NOW. We've seen it play out in Boston where Ainge had all that ammo in his war chest, but he really never used it to make the Celtics better. He drafted REALLY well by getting guys like Tatum, Brown and Smart, but Griff hasn't had that kind of luck (aside from Zion).
    Isn't a bit premature to make this claim?

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

He used AD to get the ball rolling with picks for the future, and some young talent on the roster, but some in the organization may feel its time for Griff to "crap" or get off the pot.

There's gotta be a way Griff can use some assets to get guys in to "win now", and also stash some things for the future. I just hope he doesn't make panic moves and kill our present and future.
    Those 3 were drafted 3rd, 3rd and 6th. Drafting that high may make Ainge look smart.

Thread Information