Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Zion's family wants Zion traded

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I know you werent directing it at me (unlike Jarrett Jack over there LMAO) - but I am just sharing my perspective having been in a similar (though smaller) position in the past. You get sucked into these wormholes, and people start attacking everything you say because if they can show they are smarter than Lowe or Windhorst or even Shamit on one thing, then THEY should be the one everyone listens to. And that gets old really quick. So, as a human with emotions, you start finding the idiots and attacking them, which then makes you look arrogant and makes more people want to come at you when you are wrong.

Its a vicious cycle and part of the reason why they go so hard as contrarians. They have no skin in the game. But this cycle happens and you cant get out of it, so you kind of become like the trolls you hate that started the cycle in the first place. Its really weird and hard to explain - I probably didnt do a good job right here of really laying it out
    Nah you did fam. Do you guys block alot of people? I know Mason Does.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    No, you explained it fine, and quite honestly that is one of the reasons I am out on Twitter. I am not looking for followers, if anything I kept my followers/following list small so I wouldn’t see so much trash. But then you question someone’s take and some guy with nothing to add starts in with the “you only have x amount of followers” like that adds to any discussion. I’m not Jim Jones, Muhammad, or Pels Podguy looking for followers. I’m just a dude questioning terrible decisions.

I will miss the awesome fake Stock Twitter accounts (Jerome Powell, John W Rich, etc.) those guys are great.
    Yeah, and I dont see it getting any better. Why I started a smaller, elite board a few years back and spend most of my time there. I dont think everyone deserves a voice. I think you should have to earn the right to be heard and maintain that privledge as well. Giving everyone a voice only incentivizes more hyperbole and extremists - because now you gotta find a way to stand out. And making logical, rational, boring arguments aint gonna do that. Even if they are the most sound.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Nah you did fam. Do you guys block alot of people? I know Mason Does.
    I mute. Find it bothers people more. When you block, they get to write it off as you being insecure and not wanting to acknowledge their brilliance. When you mute, they get upset because they think you are gonna get hurt by some thing they sent you and then you dont reply or acknowledge and that drives them crazy.

Yeah, and I dont see it getting any better. Why I started a smaller, elite board a few years back and spend most of my time there. I dont think everyone deserves a voice. I think you should have to earn the right to be heard and maintain that privledge as well. Giving everyone a voice only incentivizes more hyperbole and extremists - because now you gotta find a way to stand out. And making logical, rational, boring arguments aint gonna do that. Even if they are the most sound.
    It’s true, they don’t write stories about houses that aren’t on fire. People think that in order to be seen you have to be obscene.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I mute. Find it bothers people more. When you block, they get to write it off as you being insecure and not wanting to acknowledge their brilliance. When you mute, they get upset because they think you are gonna get hurt by some thing they sent you and then you dont reply or acknowledge and that drives them crazy.
    I think this board have an ignore switch? Anyone heard from Dae lately?

J. J. Had a take on the situation too

Last edited by 13 - 3; 06-18-2021 at 10:08 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Trash

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Trash
    Zion or Griffin?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    J. J. Had a take on the situation too

So, Redick quit on the Pels after one year. He requested to be traded to teams who only wanted him if he was free. Further complicating trading him, he was injury prone and having his worst season ever. He gets moved to a contender, but feels compelled to publicly bury the front office who gave a 35 year-old, one-trick pony 26 million dollars. And, he liked a tweet announcing our elimination from the playoffs. So much pettiness. Lord knows we didn’t get our money’s worth from the man on the court. You’d think he could’ve at least paid us back with a little professionalism.

I completely see your point, this is why I have 750 posts since 2006. I visit this site almost every day, but only comment on things I think matter and I want to say. I am not interested in arguments, or I am smarter than you kind of discussions. I want to talk and read about basketball, hear some opinions and rumors about what might happen next with this mess of a team.

I enjoy this venue because it is good to have a place and be around some people who have suffered with me through the fall of BD and Mash, ownership's total destruction of CP3, DWest, Peja, and Chandler right after OKC tried to steal our team, So many things happened during the Demps era, girlfriend suicide, player shot in wrong apartment, Boogie's Knee, to AD's thats all folks. Now it starts again, what will happen with Zion? Who knows, but I will be lurking, thanks to this site and you guys for letting me!
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

I'm going to list 3 consecutive years and record for a certain team. This was a certain player's first 3 years in the league.

Coach: Kevin Loughery; Record: 38-44
    Coach: Stan Albeck; Record: 30 - 52
    Coach: Doug Collins; Record: 40-42

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I'm going to list 3 consecutive years and record for a certain team. This was a certain player's first 3 years in the league.

Coach: Kevin Loughery; Record: 38-44
    Coach: Stan Albeck; Record: 30 - 52
    Coach: Doug Collins; Record: 40-42
    Jordan?

This is what fuels my apathy

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Jordan?
    You got it. Wonder if papa jordan made threats after year 2....reportedly.

Ironically, Jordan was livid at the Bulls organization in year 2 because of how they managed him after his injury. But luckily, it was an era when guys just didnt ask out/get out. And the Bulls started winning so Jordan stuck with them despite eventually growing to dislike the FO quite a bit

Its a new day and guys just wont stay with franchises for their careers any more. If we get 8 or 9 years out of Zion, Id consider that a win in this era

I can buy that the organization is a mess, but I don't even know how much of that is on just Griff.

When I was in the job market recently for my very unexciting career, I went through an application/call process with the Pelicans for some analytics desk job for ticket sales or whatever. I didn't make it very far so none of this is inside info, just observation.

I came away from the experience realizing that when you work for the Pelicans you work for The Benson's and everything they own. So you may be doing ticket sales analysis one day, then basketball ops the next day, then Saints media data the next day, then Dixie, then a car dealer, and so on and so forth.

Basically, they cut costs by using you across all the companies. Not totally uncommon for New Orleans as I worked for a company in the CBD that did the same thing.

But that company was a lot smaller. A LOT SMALLER. I can see how players and BBall personnel don't feel like there is a full commitment on their side. The Pels really only get something if Benson can also spread the cost over to the Saints as well.

You aren't running an Ice Cream stand next to a Snowball Stand here. These are two MASSIVE organizations that require their own individual approaches.

The only thing I can say in Benson's defense is that you aren't going to make a Saints level investment into the Pels until you get Saints level returns. But that creates a chicken or the egg situation.

Quote Originally Posted by AD-AT View Post
    I can buy that the organization is a mess, but I don't even know how much of that is on just Griff.

When I was in the job market recently for my very unexciting career, I went through an application/call process with the Pelicans for some analytics desk job for ticket sales or whatever. I didn't make it very far so none of this is inside info, just observation.

I came away from the experience realizing that when you work for the Pelicans you work for The Benson's and everything they own. So you may be doing ticket sales analysis one day, then basketball ops the next day, then Saints media data the next day, then Dixie, then a car dealer, and so on and so forth.

Basically, they cut costs by using you across all the companies. Not totally uncommon for New Orleans as I worked for a company in the CBD that did the same thing.

But that company was a lot smaller. A LOT SMALLER. I can see how players and BBall personnel don't feel like there is a full commitment on their side. The Pels really only get something if Benson can also spread the cost over to the Saints as well.

You aren't running an Ice Cream stand next to a Snowball Stand here. These are two MASSIVE organizations that require their own individual approaches.

The only thing I can say in Benson's defense is that you aren't going to make a Saints level investment into the Pels until you get Saints level returns. But that creates a chicken or the egg situation.

That is just it. You nailed it. They cut costs by using employees to work in every field. They overwork them. They don’t care about the high turnover. Rather they hire employees strictly for one organization. Instead one group has to do it all. Saving Benson money. Almost like slave labor. If they would hire people strictly for the Pelicans and Pelicans only it would be a different story. They will never change it . It is what it is.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 06-19-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    That is just it. You nailed it. They cut costs by using employees to work in every field. They overwork them. They don’t care about the high turnover. Rather they hire employees strictly for one organization. Instead one group has to do it all. Saving Benson money. Almost like slave labor. If they would hire people strictly for the Pelicans and Pelicans only it would be a different story. They will never change it . It is what it is.
    This isnt some revelation. EVERY organization does that. When one company acquires another similar company, these things are called synergy among field level employees. The Saints training facility is literally right next door to the Pelicans. The Pelicans facility doesn't look like some little trash tent next to the Saints either.

And given the long leash Griff has been given with hiring and firing coaches, I dont see less of a commitment to the Pelicans than the Saints.

Again, if any of this is true or has been reported accurately, and I remain very skeptical, this makes Zion and his family look like spoiled rotten children. They look bad. Not the Pelicans. This news has been floating around the Athletic people and I guess the Athletic thought now was as good a time as any to monetize it.

But eventually Griff may talk, and you know Zion will be asked probably around the Olympic games (if he participates) or summer league. Then it will be clear.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-19-2021 at 02:40 PM.

This isnt some revelation. EVERY organization does that. When one company acquires another similar company, these things are called synergy among field level employees. The Saints training facility is literally right next door to the Pelicans. The Pelicans facility doesn't look like some little trash tent next to the Saints either.

And given the long leash Griff has been given with hiring and firing coaches, I dont see less of a commitment to the Pelicans than the Saints.

Again, if any of this is true or has been reported accurately, and I remain very skeptical, this makes Zion and his family look like spoiled rotten children. They look bad. Not the Pelicans. This news has been floating around the Athletic people and I guess the Athletic thought now was as good a time as any to monetize it.

But eventually Griff may talk, and you know Zion will be asked probably around the Olympic games (if he participates) or summer league. Then it will be clear.
    3 hall of fame players leaving in 10 years. The problem is not Zion

Your first point. That is the problem . That means job loss. #DoBetter
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 06-19-2021 at 03:36 PM.

Let's get this straight. Jordan was angry about the minutes restriction they put him on when he came back from that foot injury in year 2. He wanted to make the playoffs. The FO wanted a higher draft pick. They still ended up making the playoffs (with a 30-52 record---there were only 23 teams back then).

Once the playoffs started they removed his restrictions and he personally went off against Boston, even though they got swept.

After that it was a love/hate relationship with the Bulls FO. He supported them trading Charles Oakley for Bill Cartwright, even though he was very close to Oakley. It was not this pure hatred for the FO even though Jerry Krause went through 3 coaches in his first 3 years (then a 4th coach when they hired Phil).
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-19-2021 at 06:14 PM.

So we are comparing Michael Jordan to Zion now?

Thread Information