Pelicans Report

Thread: 2021 Trading season

Stuff 2021 Trading season

Decided to make this thread to discuss NBA trades.

First up: Kemba to OKC!!!

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...For-Al-Horford

The offseason is more exciting than the regular season. Thanks for starting this thread.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Well OKC is definitely going to try to move up or out with all those picks. Pels could be a good spot for OKC to move up to.

Bledsoe+10 for 16 and 18?

I am confused by that deal, so there must be something I am missing. They were trying to get out of Kemba’s contract so they could take on Horford’s? They must have been getting terrible offers if they took that deal. Must be concerned about the luxury tax or something.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I am confused by that deal, so there must be something I am missing. They were trying to get out of Kemba’s contract so they could take on Horford’s? They must have been getting terrible offers if they took that deal. Must be concerned about the luxury tax or something.
    Two equally overpaid players but one is due 75 mil over next 2 years, the other about 42 mil. You give up a mid first that you dont need for savings and flexibility. Its not that hard of a trade to understand and now OKC will revitalize Kemba and move him for a positive asset or at least a neutral one next year.

Its frustrating to see another team make all the obvious moves and know we could have followed a similar path but also had Zion, Ingram, etc on top of a massive war chest. Take me bak to the 2019 season and I could have had the same exact on court results plus an addition 5 firsts and 8 seconds in our war chest going into this offseason. Griff is so maddening.
    @mcnamara247

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Well OKC is definitely going to try to move up or out with all those picks. Pels could be a good spot for OKC to move up to.

Bledsoe+10 for 16 and 18?
    I’d do this in a heartbeat but we’re getting a top 3 pick (I’m going to keep saying so it comes to fruition- hasn’t work for powerball yet though). I wish we would have done the Kemba deal. I don’t like the contract but he’s an upgrade to Bledsoe.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Two equally overpaid players but one is due 75 mil over next 2 years, the other about 42 mil. You give up a mid first that you dont need for savings and flexibility. Its not that hard of a trade to understand and now OKC will revitalize Kemba and move him for a positive asset or at least a neutral one next year.

Its frustrating to see another team make all the obvious moves and know we could have followed a similar path but also had Zion, Ingram, etc on top of a massive war chest. Take me bak to the 2019 season and I could have had the same exact on court results plus an addition 5 firsts and 8 seconds in our war chest going into this offseason. Griff is so maddening.
    yea... I agree the asset accumulating should have continued the first couple of years. Especially even at last years value Horford could still play and was a better on court fit than Adams as long as you're getting paid to take him. It's just hard to sell a short minded ownership group on the fact you can have your cake and eat it too. Really it should have started with calling up OKC 2 years ago when they were trying to dump Chris Paul or taking that Memphis Igoudala deal, Bertans for free, etc... it pays to be an opportunist

That said I'm not a believer on Kemba. His knees are really far gone.

yea... I agree the asset accumulating should have continued the first couple of years. Especially even at last years value Horford could still play and was a better on court fit than Adams as long as you're getting paid to take him. It's just hard to sell a short minded ownership group on the fact you can have your cake and eat it too. Really it should have started with calling up OKC 2 years ago when they were trying to dump Chris Paul or taking that Memphis Igoudala deal, Bertans for free, etc... it pays to be an opportunist

Has nothing to do with Kemba the player. You are taking on Kemba the contract as a tax to get an asset. And next year, when he is on an expiring, you look around for another team that is unhappy with their overpaid, disappointing player and send Kemba to them for that player and more picks. OKC will have enough ammo to go get the best players on the trade market, any time they come available in the 2023-2028 offseasons. All they need to do now is identify 1, maybe 2 more long term pieces to go with SGA and then they can start adding the top guys on the trade market for the forseeable future. Only way we stay out in front of them is if we get lucky and they get unlucky this Tuesday IMO

Who's to blame for the Griff hiring? Gayle? Loomis?

It's not at all about the talent of the players. Both players are on negative contracts. One more negative than the other, plus said more negativer asset was unhappy about his current home.

GM of unhappy, more negative contract had to give up a good asset to get rid of him. You can bet your life the market for Kemba was wafer thin.

Much like the market for Adams, but I digress

(I could have seen the Clippers wanting him, but they have no 1sts to give so were probably out)
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-18-2021 at 10:32 AM.

Has nothing to do with Kemba the player. You are taking on Kemba the contract as a tax to get an asset. And next year, when he is on an expiring, you look around for another team that is unhappy with their overpaid, disappointing player and send Kemba to them for that player and more picks. OKC will have enough ammo to go get the best players on the trade market, any time they come available in the 2023-2028 offseasons. All they need to do now is identify 1, maybe 2 more long term pieces to go with SGA and then they can start adding the top guys on the trade market for the forseeable future. Only way we stay out in front of them is if we get lucky and they get unlucky this Tuesday IMO
    You dont need to explain that to me. But even on an expiring Kemba will still be negative value is my point.

OKC is on the right track by just not being morons like the rest of the league. I think converting even nearly unlimited capital into a championship roster is easier said than done though when you're a small market.
    Last edited by Pelifan; 06-18-2021 at 10:51 AM.

You dont need to explain that to me. But even on an expiring Kemba will still be negative value is my point.

OKC is on the right track by just not being morons like the rest of the league. I think converting even nearly unlimited capital into a championship roster is easier said than done though when you're a small market.
    They will also likely flip Walker a year or so from now (or maybe at deadline) for more picks (maybe a couple of 2nds at least).

53 mil but nice try

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    53 mil but nice try
    No, not a nice try. I am correct. Always.

I know all contracts, all CBA stuff, and always get that part right. Go do a little more research and come back and apologize and say, "Oh, I missed this part. Yeah, you were right, but I was trying to show that you arent a know it all. I failed this time, but will try to get you again in the future."

No, not a nice try. I am correct. Always.

I know all contracts, all CBA stuff, and always get that part right. Go do a little more research and come back and apologize and say, "Oh, I missed this part. Yeah, you were right, but I was trying to show that you arent a know it all. I failed this time, but will try to get you again in the future."
    Yep. Only $14.5 million is guaranteed in the last year. Let me ask you something just out of curiosity, I see listed on spotrac that there are some guarantees in his final year that are tied to Philly's results. Now that he is not with Philly, could the guarantees still be tied to their results, or do those carry to the team he is traded to?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Yep. Only $14.5 million is guaranteed in the last year. Let me ask you something just out of curiosity, I see listed on spotrac that there are some guarantees in his final year that are tied to Philly's results. Now that he is not with Philly, could the guarantees still be tied to their results, or do those carry to the team he is traded to?
    They are tied to the team he plays for results. So if Celtics make the Finals, yes he will have a little more guaranteed.

They are tied to the team he plays for results. So if Celtics make the Finals, yes he will have a little more guaranteed.
    Thanks

Do you think we hire a coach before we make any moves? Or is it obvious enough what we need to change? Or is it all dependant on the offer sheet Lonzo signs?

-Also, I think Boston is happy with this deal, getting out of Kemba's deal is a boon and getting a quality vet role player to anchor the D and hit the open 3, fits their 'win now' timeline, and they have a bunch of guards already. OKC is going to be interesting to watch, going to be so many young guys working their butts off for playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Do you think we hire a coach before we make any moves? Or is it obvious enough what we need to change? Or is it all dependent on the offer sheet Lonzo signs?

-Also, I think Boston is happy with this deal, getting out of Kemba's deal is a boon and getting a quality vet role player to anchor the D and hit the open 3, fits their 'win now' timeline, and they have a bunch of guards already. OKC is going to be interesting to watch, going to be so many young guys working their butts off for playing time.
    Boston doesn't have a lot of guards. Fournier is a FA. They'll probably try to trade Marcus Smart...contract coming up. Pritchard/Edwards/Waters are all low ceiling bench guys and Waters might be gone soon too. Jury is still out on Romeo Langford.

They'll be making some moves to sure up that back court.

Thread Information