Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Stan Van Gundy Out {merged}

I'm all aboard the Internal HC Hire. Spoon or Vinson have my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I'll never forgive the Omer Asik debacle. Plus, Monty was never the problem; the roster Dumps gave to him was.
    I stand corrected. I got cramps remembering Omer Asik. Kinda reminds me of the Steven Adams cramps I had last month

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Demps was cagey. But you knew it. And he didn’t try to hide it.

That's a bit of the problem w/ Griff. We still don't know his overall vision for the team. I feel like he's cagey too but hides it. I mean the man just start talking about surrounding Zion w/ shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Ill tell ya what, I'd take Chris Paul's advice on a coaching search. I'd even hire him as a coach.

Same goes for other great floor generals like Chauncey Billups, Steve Nash or even Jason Kidd. I believe their understanding of the game was the prerequisite to their fame; and their prior accomplishments as players gives them cred with today's players.

I'm hoping for Billups or Kidd.... Especially when part of our success depends on transforming Zion into a successful PG
    There you go....

Let him opt out and sign with us for the minimum, and make up the difference as a head coach (there's no salary cap for that) for three years. You got your coach and your lead guard all in one. The head of the players' union would also be part of NBA Management. Couldn't sell it in Hollywood.

This is an interesting article. If we are to believe it, looks like Griff wanted certain things changed and questioned things throughout the season. https://larrybrownsports.com/basketb...n-gundy/580383

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I dont get it direct any more. I get it from multiple others who do. Had good relationships with Dell and others. Havent been shy about letting it be known that I think Griff is full of it and I get nothing direct. But lets just say A LOT of people knew this was happening a few days ago. Stuff gets out much easier with this group than the Dell run Pels
    Then how was there not a peep about this until today?

Quote Originally Posted by PELSGIRL View Post
    This is an interesting article. If we are to believe it, looks like Griff wanted certain things changed and questioned things throughout the season. https://larrybrownsports.com/basketb...n-gundy/580383
    That article is BS. It says Griff and Zion liked the 'point Zion' role, but SVG wasn't a fan of it. That's one of the main reasons Griff hired SVG, was because he saw the vision for point zion back in the interview process.

That point Zion is the worst ideology ever
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    That point Zion is the worst ideology ever
    Yeah, let's take one of the league's premier finishers 30 feet away from the basket where he has no proclivity to shoot (in other words my grandma could guard him out there) and see what happens. Trying to transform him into an orchestrater is pure folly (at least at this point in his career).

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Then how was there not a peep about this until today?
    There were many peeps. Just not here. Shamit and others were hinting at it for a while. I dropped Charles Lee on here a day or two ago. The team asks people not to say anything in exchange for info and our people are good people and oblige.
    @mcnamara247

There were many peeps. Just not here. Shamit and others were hinting at it for a while. I dropped Charles Lee on here a day or two ago. The team asks people not to say anything in exchange for info and our people are good people and oblige.
    Do you think its just out of Lee and Spoon or does Vinson have a chance too?

Yeah, let's take one of the league's premier finishers 30 feet away from the basket where he has no proclivity to shoot (in other words my grandma could guard him out there) and see what happens. Trying to transform him into an orchestrater is pure folly (at least at this point in his career).
    I disagree. Being multiple will help more than hurt down the line. Especially in the playoffs. The more ways he can be effective the better. And it’s not like he’s doing things he isn’t suited to. Like if they tried to turn him into an off the ball guy who runs around screens and jacks up 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I disagree. Being multiple will help more than hurt down the line. Especially in the playoffs. The more ways he can be effective the better. And it’s not like he’s doing things he isn’t suited to. Like if they tried to turn him into an off the ball guy who runs around screens and jacks up 3s.
    When? While he's still in a Pelican uniform? Have you looked at his assist to TO ratio? He may be able to do it some day...but the day is no time soon. There are too many other things he has to work on individually for his own game's sake before he can create for the other four players on the court with him. He has not been an orchestrator since high school (if then). Now we are going to ask him to run a professional team on the highest level of basketball played on the planet Earth?
    Last edited by As I See It; 06-16-2021 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
    I think its Lee with Spoon getting a promotion. Not the head job.

But I dont think it is impossible to envision a scenario where Lee turns it down. Imagine: You have a killer interview, know you are the man for the job, are told you are a finalist and to start looking for assistants should you be hired. Then, they go hire some over the hill white dude instead of you and it fails like you knew it would. Now they come back to you and ask if you want the job this time. I am not saying you turn it down - it is 1 of only 30 after all, but I dont think its a LOCK he wants it

When? While he's still in a Pelican uniform? Have you looked at his assist to TO ratio? He may be able to do it some day...but the day is no time soon. There are too many other things he has to work on individually for his own game's sake before he can create for the other four players on the court with him. He has not been an orchestrator since high school (if then). Now we are going to ask him to run a professional team on the highest level of basketball played on the planet Earth?
    If that is to be a role he plays, he’s not going to go from someone who can only be fed the rock and be easier to neutralize to suddenly being proficient at being an initiator. I say let him have his growing pains now. Find out what he needs to fine tune little by little. He’s already made some strides as a ball handler as it is. If that work continues the turnovers will decrease. Along with just getting more minutes and experience at it.

This league can be a cutthroat business if you can’t maintain good relationships with your players and front office. I wish SVG all the best in his future endeavors but it was time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
    Charles Lee is from the DC area and family still lives there. Washington now has an opening. That is going to be his first choice.

I think its Lee with Spoon getting a promotion. Not the head job.

But I dont think it is impossible to envision a scenario where Lee turns it down. Imagine: You have a killer interview, know you are the man for the job, are told you are a finalist and to start looking for assistants should you be hired. Then, they go hire some over the hill white dude instead of you and it fails like you knew it would. Now they come back to you and ask if you want the job this time. I am not saying you turn it down - it is 1 of only 30 after all, but I dont think its a LOCK he wants it
    Spoon not getting a head job? Sorry couldn't resist i'm 41 going on 13.

If Lee does get the head coaching position and Spoon the lead assistant, does this mean who ever is currently the lead will get demoted or let go?

Good decision, because the relationship between the coach and players was very weak. It is surprising, however, that Griffin made this move - it is a bit of an admission that he was wrong earlier... Of course it's better late than never, right? Now the question is who is the lead candidate?

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    is this anything like winning the lottery with the understanding that you cant use the money in any way nor give it away?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Charles Lee is from the DC area and family still lives there. Washington now has an opening. That is going to be his first choice.
    I really like the way Lee speaks, presents, and expresses himself.... if these can translate in any way to an indication of his coaching ability, I would love to see him get a chance here.....

Has anyone heard anything about SVG having a health condition? Not trying to start anything but was curious if anyone has heard anything about something like that...

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about SVG having a health condition? Not trying to start anything but was curious if anyone has heard anything about something like that...
    I haven't heard anything, but I did notice that his head would shake ever so slightly in interviews.
    Not sure if that is anything?
    I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I haven't heard anything, but I did notice that his head would shake ever so slightly in interviews.
    Not sure if that is anything?
    I hope not.
    Noticed that as well, and at other times during games. Haven't heard anything said publicly about medical issues, but was wondering if it could have been a factor...

Thread Information