Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Stan Van Gundy Out {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Ehhhh... I think this move was to buy David more time. We had more pressing issues with roster construction and talent issues. A lot of young guys developed and showed growth under SVG... SVG was never gonna have success with covid off-season. So, this is weird move. I guess David must be feeling his seat is getting hot.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1...79452368228352

Actually... It's probably SVG being SVG .
    Yeah my thoughts. I will say that Stan harped really hard on the inside first focus game and it failed miserably and probably made him look very bad. I personally think JJ?s horrible form was his undoing. That was our spacing and he hit the decline right when we needed him the most.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    That is not how the NBA works. It?s a players league now.
    Because you say so?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Because you say so?
    My name is not Chris Paul or Adam Silver

Because you say so?
    Jrue Holiday

Chris Paul

Anthony Davis

Go all the way back to Baron Davis

How many more do you want to alienate?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Jrue Holiday

Chris Paul

Anthony Davis

How many more do you want to alienate?
    So you're saying, right now, that the key reason we lost all three of them is because we didn't hire the coach they wanted?

So, we wasted another season. Sabotage our own draft pick two years in a row when we are supposed to be acquiring talent.

Year 3 of Zion
    New Coach
    Talent Deficit
    Terrible FA class
    Outside looking in on an elite prospect
    Burden with two terrible contracts
    NOt terrible enough to get better not good enough to get into the Playoffs

Well.... Ain't it a typical Pelicans year. I guess I should start looking at lottery talent for next year.

Did yall hear the part where Griff admitted, jokingly I might add, that he's not good at hiring head coaches? I thought that was him being honest for the first time.

Edit: he also seemed to politely shut down the stuff about Teresa Weatherspoon being a serious HC candidate. So take the two candidate list that MM said were the two he'd bet money on, as usual, with a huge grain of salt.
    Last edited by RUFshreve; 06-16-2021 at 05:03 PM.

So you're saying, right now, that the key reason we lost all three of them is because we didn't hire the coach they wanted?
    FOR THE FINAL TIME

According to Woj, Vinson will get "serious consideration" because of his loyalty to the organization through the Monty, Alvin, and SVG years.

Keeping them in the loop, of course. It's courteous and diplomatic. If they want to come into the office to talk about whatever regarding the coaching decision, let them. Hear them out at best. Humor them at worst. But the ultimate decision should not be in the hands of the players. Hell. Even LeBron and CP3 had the most success when they joined a team after the core had already been established. It wasn't like they went to a lottery team and choose a new coach who changed everything around.

Can anyone actually cite a time when a player chosen coach has been a huge catalyst to success?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Good, now he can focus on social causes while we get a coach focused on winning.
    I care about social causes and there are coaches who care about social causes and still make the playoffs. I would like a coach who can do both.

Keeping them in the loop, of course. It's courteous and diplomatic. If they want to come into the office to talk about whatever regarding the coaching decision, let them. Hear them out at best. Humor them at worst. But the ultimate decision should not be in the hands of the players. Hell. Even LeBron and CP3 had the most success when they joined a team after the core had already been established. It wasn't like they went to a lottery team and choose a new coach who changed everything around.

Can anyone actually cite a time when a player chosen coach has been a huge catalyst to success?
    Looks at Phil Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I literally just explained why I think she would be a good candidate. Great relationships with the players, semi-continuity, etc.

I'm a big fan of Hammon and wanted her to be hired over SVG in the first place, so it's not like I'd turn that down, but it's a bit weird to do the ''why her'' thing in response to a post where I laid out my reasons to support her.
    They don't want to hear you brother lol. I'm hype for a T Spoon hire.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I can't pretend I know who would or would not be a great hire. I just know...luck. We need to get lucky one more time for this to end differently than I think it will. The coach is important but it's like 3rd on a list of important things to me and the Pels.

Here's something I'm not real clear on. Who does what?

Griffin is the VPOBO. Langdon is the GM.

So...scouting and draft players. Who is directly in charge of that? Who takes the responsibility for drafting NAW, Hayes, Didi, and Kira?

And free agents and trades? I'm sure if you asked, they'd say it's a team effort, but is Griffin behind it all completely? What's Langdon's role exactly if true? I figure Langdon would be handling the drafts and scouting given his experience overseas.

So...scouting and draft players. Who is directly in charge of that? Who takes the responsibility for drafting NAW, Hayes, Didi, and Kira?

And free agents and trades? I'm sure if you asked, they'd say it's a team effort, but is Griffin behind it all completely? What's Langdon's role exactly if true? I figure Langdon would be handling the drafts and scouting given his experience overseas.
    Langdon is does our scouting and manage our roster. Griffin does the drafting, and FA acquisition if I recall correctly.

Jeff Bower, Dell Dumps, and now David Griffin. Different people with the same results.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/w...hing-decision/

According to those in the know...Trajan doesnt do much of anything. Sorry to burst peoples bubble but multiple people have confirmed this
    @mcnamara247

You're a guy in the know

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    All superstars are involved in those type of moves. Remember Chris Paul demanding that a certain type of coach be hired for the Hornets. It is a players' league.

Ill tell ya what, I'd take Chris Paul's advice on a coaching search. I'd even hire him as a coach.

Same goes for other great floor generals like Chauncey Billups, Steve Nash or even Jason Kidd. I believe their understanding of the game was the prerequisite to their fame; and their prior accomplishments as players gives them cred with today's players.

I'm hoping for Billups or Kidd.... Especially when part of our success depends on transforming Zion into a successful PG

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Jeff Bower, Dell Dumps, and now David Griffin. Different people with the same results.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/w...hing-decision/

lol... it almost seems like demps may have had a decent vision

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    According to Woj, Vinson will get "serious consideration" because of his loyalty to the organization through the Monty, Alvin, and SVG years.
    If it's not Spoon, I'm all for this. I actually wanted him to get the job last year and didn't understand why he wasn't in any of the interviews. I know someone said he's just a shot doctor but I have to believe he's more than that considering he's been around a long time, players and coaches alike respect him and if he has been working under these three guys, have to believe he knows Xs and Os.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    lol... it almost seems like demps may have had a decent vision
    I'll never forgive the Omer Asik debacle. Plus, Monty was never the problem; the roster Dumps gave to him was.

Trajan does a lot of it but Griffin is also very hands on. When Didi was in Aus and they had one of their last playoff games to get to the championship (right before the rona hit), Griffin was at the game live. Griff witnessed Didi go off in the 4th to help bring the team back from 16 points down with about 6 mins left to win it. So he was going to have major say on when Didi would be called over here. But Trajan also made multiple trips over there to watch games also.

Kira also talked about meeting and talking with Trajan leading up to the draft and why he felt like he would get drafted here.

So they are like GM and co-GM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    You're a guy in the know
    I dont get it direct any more. I get it from multiple others who do. Had good relationships with Dell and others. Havent been shy about letting it be known that I think Griff is full of it and I get nothing direct. But lets just say A LOT of people knew this was happening a few days ago. Stuff gets out much easier with this group than the Dell run Pels

Thread Information