Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Stan Van Gundy Out {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Brandon Ingram and Stan Van Gundy had a strained relationship throughout the 20-21 season, sources tell Christian Clark of The Times-Picayune.

SVG being SVG. Constantly rubbing people the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Yep, not a bad way to get fired...
    I always thought 4 years was pretty excessive at the time. Especially as he was always just a stop gap

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Obviously I do not think those are reasons to qualify her as a head coach.
    And that's fine, but there's a distinction between ''I see your reasons and don't think they're convincing'' and ''what are your reasons, I don't see them at all''. Two different things.
    Basketball.

I didn’t like the SVG hire, and I grow disenchanted with Griffin by the day. The local media/podcast crew wanted VG to work for some reason, and as recently as a few weeks back they were backing him for the near future. Let’s call a spade a spade, our team is clueless, and the media is carrying the team’s water.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Gayle has to be pissed at Griffin for wasting her money, right?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Gayle has to be pissed at Griffin for wasting her money, right?
    His leash has to be growing short and his seat better be piping hot.

Ain’t got time to indulge a shyster. Griff better pray he lucks into the top four.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    And that's fine, but there's a distinction between ''I see your reasons and don't think they're convincing'' and ''what are your reasons, I don't see them at all''. Two different things.
    I should have stressed "head" in the first response to be more clear.

If the Pels bring in Jason Kidd, do you think they have the assists to trade for Dame Lillard? I heard Dame wanted Kidd to coach Portland.

Basketball Guru
    i guess its safe to say that our next coach will be a cheap coach unless gayle is down for spending alot of money for 2 coaches the next 3 or 4 years.....

I don't believe local media was carrying the team's water. I think there is a bias towards stability, continuity, and the organization not wanting to be seen as knee-jerk or panicky after a weird Covid season.

Three coaches in three years is not a good look and not a good start with your franchise's anchor star. The only thing worse would be is you continued on with a coach that your guys just absolutely didn't want to play for and that seems to be what happened. This started almost right away if you remember Redick's comments on SVG's hiring and apparently didn't improve much over the course of the season.

I also think seeing other teams like the Suns and Knicks excel probably put some added pressure as they turned things around while the Pels did not. The Pacers pulled the trigger on firing their first year coach which my also have upped the ante. But in the end it had to be the relationship between SVG and the players and/or the organization. Griffin didn't like Gentry because he was too soft. Apparently SVG was too hard. Here's hoping the next hire is just right...

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    If the Pels bring in Jason Kidd, do you think they have the assists to trade for Dame Lillard? I heard Dame wanted Kidd to coach Portland.
    If the Pels bring in Jason Kidd, who cares? He's a bad person and a poor coach, why would anyone be interested in good things for him?

I cant see Spoon being a serious candidate. I'm all for fresh blood and I have nothing bad to say about her coaching ability, but 2 years of player development coaching experience does not cut it for more than interim status. Her WNBA and LA Tech experience counts. But the NBA is a much different league where the same rules and strategies don't apply.

Let's be real here, it's the same reason Becky's name always comes up even when teams aren't really considering hiring her. Good PR.

I can't see Kidd being a serious candidate either, but different reasons. Players like him for some reason though.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    SVG being SVG. Constantly rubbing people the wrong way.
    Well this feels good then

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FfpV5JVv9AY

Well none of us knows the whole story behind this, so who knows? Could have been ownership loosing confidence in SVG, or it could have been SVG?s wife not liking living in NO, and so Stan was the one who wanted out. No one knows for sure.

Me personally it is better to go ahead and rip the bandaid off, instead of easing it off. We seen what happens when you take your time pulling it off in Gentry, and none of us wants another Gentry type of era in NO.

If Grif and Trajan evaluated the situation and determined they made a mistake in this hiring, and decided that they needed to go another route better now than 3 years down the road. In all honesty SVG?s salary is pennies compared to the amount of money we are talking about in this franchise one way or another.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Just remember the folks who were all in on SVG and defended him to the ends of the earth. Remember their opinions and put them in their respective place (next to the recycling bin).
    Should we bump the threads like we did to the Fire Monty thread?

29 GMs: Imagine how unstoppable Zion would be in the paint with 4 shooters?

David Griffin: I only feel comfortable with Zion on the court if he's playing with 3 non-shooters

David is in panic mode.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i guess its safe to say that our next coach will be a cheap coach unless gayle is down for spending alot of money for 2 coaches the next 3 or 4 years.....
    She is not losing money. She has a horse stable, a car empire, booze, the Catholic Church,Saints etc.

She is not poor. She probably made some money today.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 06-16-2021 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What has she done to justify being an NBA head coach? If they want a female for some reason, Hammon has much more experience. I think they need to interview Vanterpool.
    Steve Nash?s coaching resume?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I cant see Spoon being a serious candidate. I'm all for fresh blood and I have nothing bad to say about her coaching ability, but 2 years of player development coaching experience does not cut it for more than interim status. Her WNBA and LA Tech experience counts. But the NBA is a much different league where the same rules and strategies don't apply.

Let's be real here, it's the same reason Becky's name always comes up even when teams aren't really considering hiring her. Good PR.

I can't see Kidd being a serious candidate either, but different reasons. Players like him for some reason though.
    I think Hammond has the stripes to be a NBA HC, just like many other of Pop's assistants have done. Agree Spoon's resume is a little thin, but sometimes you make a hire more based on the fit of the person and the situation than on the resume. It's risky because of the big jump involved, but sometimes someone just fits the time and place or has a star quality.

Hiring a woman for a head coach in the NBA would obviously be historic. That's not a good reason to do it. It's also not a good reason not to do it. By now I think most of us have had a female coach or trainer at some point and I have zero doubt that a woman could be a good NBA coach. But they have to be a good coach first and foremost...

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    The thing with Nash is that while he doesn't have a ton of coaching experience, his staff has a ludicrous amount. Which mitigates his inexperience somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    NBA MVP

25 characters is not enoug Contributor ktulu909's Avatar
    Whats Tim Floyd up to these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The thing with Nash is that while he doesn't have a ton of coaching experience, his staff has a ludicrous amount. Which mitigates his inexperience somewhat.
    Yeah if I’m okay with this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I think Hammond has the stripes to be a NBA HC, just like many other of Pop's assistants have done. Agree Spoon's resume is a little thin, but sometimes you make a hire more based on the fit of the person and the situation than on the resume. It's risky because of the big jump involved, but sometimes someone just fits the time and place or has a star quality.

Hiring a woman for a head coach in the NBA would obviously be historic. That's not a good reason to do it. It's also not a good reason not to do it. By now I think most of us have had a female coach or trainer at some point and I have zero doubt that a woman could be a good NBA coach. But they have to be a good coach first and foremost...
    Yea I'm not arguing otherwise. Hammon has a good resume at this point, but in the early days she didn't and was still always reported as a name in consideration.

I think former NBA players getting the nod with very little experience is also odd, but at least they've played for NBA head coaches and worked with an NBA coaching staff enough to see how they operate, so it's impossible to not pick up a few things.

One thing I wouldn't do is listen to the players. It feels like almost every player driven coaching hire completely crashes and burns
    Last edited by Pelifan; 06-16-2021 at 02:01 PM.

RESPECT DA KID!!! Contributor BigChris504's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post

What's the difference between T-Spoon and Steve Nash exactly???

Thread Information