Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Stan Van Gundy Out {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Yeah. Crazy she never got to see Zion. She’d have loved him.
    Oh the posters who have passed on. Who else have we lost (I’m sure there have been a few)?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post

I'm done with Griff
    How tf do you fall out of sync after one season? If that's the case Griffin should be gone!

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    How tf do you fall out of sync after one season? If that's the case Griffin should be gone!
    Not gonna listen for 1.5 hours of hypothetical.
    Care to summarize what was said please?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Give it 10 minutes, I am sure Pelicandae is typing out the full transcript as we speak
    @mcnamara247

If you feel frustrated with the organization. It'll definitely be worth a listen. They really call out Griffin.

My thoughts exactly. It's too easy for a ******** GM to survive but coaches can't

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    My thoughts exactly. It's too easy for a ******** GM to survive but coaches can't
    Thats the world my friend.
    Think of your workplace.
    All the managers stay but the workers seem to be the scapegoats when things go wrong.

Basically Griffin said he has no issues with SVG as a person and coach, but said they had philosophical differences. He never takes any blame. They also mention how Griffin chooses to micromanage the team. More importantly he refuses to let Langdon do anything. They say while it's great that SVG is gone and we probably need a coach with a resume the players can respect it's not probable because we have to now pay 2 coaches that were extended/hired by Griffin then fired the same off season after doing something similar with Gentry. They said he has yet to lay out any plan with any kind of detail about how he plans to course correct over any period of time. They talk about his love for appearing in interviews and how as VP he should be more low-key and defer that type of attention to Langdon. They sight an article that talks about Griffin not having any success out side of the the LeBron years.

It was passionate and I agreed wholeheartedly.

Basically Griffin said he has no issues with SVG as a person and coach, but said they had philosophical differences. He never takes any blame. They also mention how Griffin chooses to micromanage the team. More importantly he refuses to let Langdon do anything. They say while it's great that SVG is gone and we probably need a coach with a resume the players can respect it's not probable because we have to now pay 2 coaches that were extended/hired by Griffin then fired the same off season after doing something similar with Gentry. They said he has yet to lay out any plan with any kind of detail about how he plans to course correct over any period of time. They talk about his love for appearing in interviews and how as VP he should be more low-key and defer that type of attention to Langdon. They sight an article that talks about Griffin not having any success out side of the the LeBron years.

It was passionate and I agreed wholeheartedly.
    Thanks

Firstly, titles are titles. They mean little. There is nothing that says just because Griffin is "VP" and Landgon is "GM", Langdon has to do most of the talking while Griffin stays low key. That's not how that works. Not all organizations have the same structure and some people are just more hands on than others. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. You think owners should just be hands off, low key, and quiet? Most of them are. But tell that to Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban. The Warriors have 2 assistant GMs you never hear from. Bob Myers is the POB and GM. You see different structures all over the NBA. Same in the corporate world.

Secondly, it's entirely possible that SVG reneged on what he agreed to when he became head coach. Maybe he wanted more say in player personnel this year. Maybe Griff wanted to continue to grow NAW/Jax/Kira while SVG would rather trade them all for vets. Relationships change all the time. They are never static. Griff can take some blame for hiring someone who might overstep their boundaries, but if SVG agreed to just coach when hired. Then just coach or hit the door.

That said, I think Griff will definitely not look for some totally fresh face from the outside. There has to be some semblance of continuity, from my outside opinion.

So I think maybe Will Weaver because he is familiar with this organization and they already know him. And he's taken his teams to championship games every time he's had a chance to be a head coach. Both in the G-League where he won COY and the NBL.

Or...gotta be Fred Vinson. Zion, Jax, NAW, and Didi all have experience with him as their "head coach" from their deep summer league run, for whatever that's worth. We all see how he works with BI and Lonzo. Seems to have the perfect demeanor. He's been with this organization for a decade now and has worked his magic the whole time all the way back to Tyreke Evans and Puddin. Also did it with the Clippers. And he wants to be a head coach. He's said it in interviews before.

I really can't see Theresa Weatherspoon just getting here and leap frogging Vinson like that.

So from my uneducated guess. Gotta be Vinson or Weaver.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Give it 10 minutes, I am sure Pelicandae is typing out the full transcript as we speak
    I laughed at this comment way more than I should have.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Unless we have a great option available, an interim coach like Vinson would be ideal for now. I don?t see many I?d take a gamble on atm.
    I have no idea why interim headcoaches arent more popular than they are. I get continuity is desirable for both teams and candidates but today's league has almost none of that.

With Carlisle, Brooks, Stotts and Stevens all out that leaves only Pop, Spo, Kerr, Snyder and Malone as the longer tenured head coaches left. That's 1/6th of the league. And I could see scenarios where a couple of those guys start to get warm seats too.

Why not give a coach who is willing to take it a trial run at the job before deciding if you want to hire them longterm?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I have no idea why interim headcoaches arent more popular than they are. I get continuity is desirable for both teams and candidates but today's league has almost none of that.

With Carlisle, Brooks, Stotts and Stevens all out that leaves only Pop, Spo, Kerr, Snyder and Malone as the longer tenured head coaches left. That's 1/6th of the league. And I could see scenarios where a couple of those guys start to get warm seats too.

Why not give a coach who is willing to take it a trial run at the job before deciding if you want to hire them longterm?
    I agree with this take. Why this isn’t more popular (when the FO is set on canning the HC) is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post

I just find it crazy that we invested so much money on Stan to can him after one year. So in this scenario, giving Vinson a shot while maybe saving some money may be the option. We can wait out until the coach we wants comes available. Or maybe Vinson does the impossible and actually succeeds. Better than signing another dud. It really should be more common as you said. More coaching gems may have been found

They said he has yet to lay out any plan with any kind of detail about how he plans to course correct over any period of time.
    How would they know that? Seems very speculative.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    How would they know that? Seems very speculative.
    They don't. But who cares. There's no penalty. The more dramatic you are the more eyeballs you attract.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    They don't. But who cares. There's no penalty. The more dramatic you are the more eyeballs you attract.
    I cant believe you are going to die on this hill. Someone is willing to give you info with NOTHING to gain for themselves and if its not what you want to hear, they are just attention seeking.

I will admit, I admire your personal desire to stay as naive as possible. It is commendable.

I cant believe you are going to die on this hill. Someone is willing to give you info with NOTHING to gain for themselves and if its not what you want to hear, they are just attention seeking.

I will admit, I admire your personal desire to stay as naive as possible. It is commendable.
    Nothing to gain? The Athletic is a pay wall site. Enough views on youtube can get you big paid. Nothing to gain?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I agree with this take. Why this isn’t more popular (when the FO is set on canning the HC) is beyond me.
    Well, the most important job of a head coach is to get buy-in from his (her?) players...if players view you as a someone who's just a stopgap, why would they pay attention to you?

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Well, the most important job of a head coach is to get buy-in from his (her?) players...if players view you as a someone who's just a stopgap, why would they pay attention to you?
    If it’s a coach who already has player buy in (Fred Vinson for example) it’s not that hard of a sell, if anything you see who the players believe in.

So apparently we're interested in Chauncey Billups....you guys think it's a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    So apparently we're interested in Chauncey Billups....you guys think it's a possibility?
    I think it’s a decent possibility. One thing that is for sure is that the next Pelicans head coach will have some type of experience playing in the NBA.

Hey Mac, thoughts on Jacque Vaughn? I think he ends up being the hire due to how I feel the coaching vacancy across the NBA will go.

I believe Griff will try to thread the needle with a "players coach" who is tough and fair, but also has HC experience. Not thrilled with that position or selection if it would happen, but I would understand the logic. His coaching record scares me.

Here is my prediction.

Magic- Charles Lee

Indy- Scotts

Celtics- Billups

Mavs- Kidd

Bucks - Rick Carsile

Portland- MDA

Washington- Vanterpool
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Hey Mac, thoughts on Jacque Vaughn? I think he ends up being the hire due to how I feel the coaching vacancy across the NBA will go.

I believe Griff will try to thread the needle with a "players coach" who is tough and fair, but also has HC experience. Not thrilled with that position or selection if it would happen, but I would understand the logic. His coaching record scares me.

Here is my prediction.

Magic- Charles Lee

Indy- Scotts

Celtics- Billups

Mavs- Kidd

Bucks - Rick Carsile

Portland- MDA

Washington- Vanterpool
    I think Vaughn has a shot. But what I wont do is pretend to know how a guy will work out based on past stops. Frank Vogel looked like a dud after Orlando. D'Antoni was a COY in two places, a dud in two others. Gets the right opportunity, I bet he can win COY again.

It aint gonna be about the X's and O's with this new coach, it will be about getting buy in because the talent is here and more is coming. And I wont pretend to know who these spoiled kids will and wont buy in to

Thread Information