Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Stan Van Gundy Out {merged}

So as I said last week should SVG get the axe; both Zion and JAX will have had five different head coaches in five years:

2017-18: Lee Sartar (HS) / Carl Kremer (HS)
    2018-19: Coach K (Duke) / Shaka Smart (Texas)
    2019-20: Alvin Gentry
    2020-21: Stan Van Gundy
    2021-22: NEXT

But what about the LA triumvirate?

2017-18: Luke Walton
    2018-19: Lebron James **
    2019-20: Alvin Gentry
    2020-21: Stan Van Gundy
    2021-22: NEXT

** de facto

Footnote: For Lonzo it is seven coaches in seven years (15-16 he was in high school; 16-17 he was at UCLA)

I'm sure our guys are pining for stability and direction.
    Last edited by As I See It; 06-16-2021 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigChris504 View Post
    What's the difference between T-Spoon and Steve Nash exactly???
    My sex Ed teacher would be so disappointed with this question.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by BigChris504 View Post
    What's the difference between T-Spoon and Steve Nash exactly???
    This cant be a serious question.

17 years in the NBA playing under NBA coaches and he has the most overqualified assistant coach in basketball, who also happens to be his former head coach to bounce questions off of. WNBA is still professional basketball but it's a completely different league. I dont count playing in the euro league as equivalent to NBA either..

And still people thought the Nash hire was a peculiar move when they hired him.

People thought the Nash hire was in poor form due to his race, and how more qualified candidates of color were passed over.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    People thought the Nash hire was in poor form due to his race, and how more qualified candidates of color were passed over.
    yes, because he lacks experience. Nobody would have batted and eye if they'd made MDA or Van Gundy head coach.

IMO you want a coach with some experience, but not one that's proven that their message is stale. Every now and then an out of left field coaching hire works out as coaching is as much about personality management as anything, but in general you want someone who has enough experience that they know what they're doing and can get the players on the same page as them.

That being said, if Chris Paul retired today, he'd get about 3 head coach offers the next day and deserve every single one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    That being said, if Chris Paul retired today, he'd get about 3 head coach offers the next day and deserve every single one of them.
    Then of course there was Rich Guerin, Bill Russell, Lenny Wilkens, Bob Cousy, and Dave Cowens (among others) who played and head coached simultaneously.

The talk circuit is beginning to get information leaks, such as Van Gundy's relationship with individual players and his attention to detail vs. building relationships. Damage control in full mode.

Griffs presser is at 300pm central time on Pelicans.com. Bring your own popcorn.

They also better announce the beer garden returns to next season’s games.

This is just idiotic and a horrible look for Grif. He is now on the hot seat. Wtf are they doing with this coaching carousel?

When they hired him I said SVG had a bad reputation among players and maybe Will Weaver would have been a better choice. But as the year went on, I was certainly on his side given the circumstances this year. I thought he did the best he could.

Then he said what he said about Jax...that rubbed me the wrong way.

Either way, this is now a full on cluster **** of a situation.

The face on Pelicans.com screen is a mean face Griffin. Lol

It’s 300 where is he at?

He starts with saying he is sorry

Griff is agonizing this

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    She is not losing money. She has a horse stable, a car empire, booze, the Catholic Church,Saints etc.

She is not poor. She probably made some money today.
    Race horses are amazingly expensive...maybe she makes a profit (I have no idea), but that's a good way to lose a ton of money. Car empire...didn't the kids/baby mama get the dealerships and the bank? They spent 10s of millions on that giant brewery in the East (which seems questionable in the best of times)...there's no way that business plan accounted for a total pandemic shutdown. The Catholic church...umm, pretty sure she gives them money not vice versa, right? The Saints...giant revenue drop with no fans last year, one of the most expensive rosters and coaching staffs in the league...probably still profitable because it's hard to lose money in the NFL, but still. I doubt she's hurting and she's not nearly as bottom line conscious as the old man was when he still knew what was going on, but I don't think it's a given that she's ok with a mad spending spree.

Mutually part ways. Ehhhhhh... Over philosophical differences. I choose neither SVG or Griffin.

He is upset. I wonder if he made the firing or Gayle ordered it?

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Race horses are amazingly expensive...maybe she makes a profit (I have no idea), but that's a good way to lose a ton of money. Car empire...didn't the kids/baby mama get the dealerships and the bank? They spent 10s of millions on that giant brewery in the East (which seems questionable in the best of times)...there's no way that business plan accounted for a total pandemic shutdown. The Catholic church...umm, pretty sure she gives them money not vice versa, right? The Saints...giant revenue drop with no fans last year, one of the most expensive rosters and coaching staffs in the league...probably still profitable because it's hard to lose money in the NFL, but still. I doubt she's hurting and she's not nearly as bottom line conscious as the old man was when he still knew what was going on, but I don't think it's a given that she's ok with a mad spending spree.
    https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/l...f-e7b5e21e36da

Wants to preserve coaching staff but will interview others from
    last years search as well as some that were not in search last season.

Actually you can make some great money breaking unbroken horses and reselling them. We have a friend that does it up here in Texas, and her margins would blow your socks off. She is doing well enough where her Orthodontist husband is looking at an early (45 y/o) retirement so he can focus on that.

As for Gayle and her money, she is surrounded by brilliant money managers and attorneys. She pays them well so that they continue helping her build wealth. Remember, she was a business person before she met and married Tom Benson.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 06-16-2021 at 03:16 PM.

Brings up Tyronn Lue and winning championship in Cleveland

Jen with an excellent question? Will Zion have a say in the search?

And the answer is “NO”

Straight from his mouth. Says it would not be fair to him or the players.

Thread Information