.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 303

Thread: Stan Van Gundy Out {merged}

  1. #251
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think Vaughn has a shot. But what I wont do is pretend to know how a guy will work out based on past stops. Frank Vogel looked like a dud after Orlando. D'Antoni was a COY in two places, a dud in two others. Gets the right opportunity, I bet he can win COY again.

    It aint gonna be about the X's and O's with this new coach, it will be about getting buy in because the talent is here and more is coming. And I wont pretend to know who these spoiled kids will and wont buy in to
    Fair. If buy in is the game, than T Spoon should have more of a shot.
    CAW CAW!!!

    -Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

  2. #252
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    How would they know that? Seems very speculative.
    Well in fairness they didn't say he lacked a plan just that he hasn't express his plan publicly with anything that would be called details.

  3. #253
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Fair. If buy in is the game, than T Spoon should have more of a shot.
    She doesnt

    Again, she is PERFECT as the supportive, hard nosed Aunt. Why make some guys dislike her when she is forced to take away minutes and opportunities?
    @mcnamara247

  4. #254
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Griffin IMO has been a disaster.
    Agreed. He needs to go asap.

  5. #255
    Quote Originally Posted by Wecandothis View Post
    Agreed. He needs to go asap.
    Where's my upvote button

  6. #256
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    She doesnt

    Again, she is PERFECT as the supportive, hard nosed Aunt. Why make some guys dislike her when she is forced to take away minutes and opportunities?
    I'm not up for any internal 'gimmick' signings. You see all the other teams lining up to interview TSpoon? Me neither.
    Disclaimer: I would never denigrate or defame Zion Williamson as a man or as a basketball player; he will go down as an NBA great and perhaps a Top 10+ player of all time. Any inference derived from any of my posts to the contrary is your mischaracterization of my words, or a sign of insecurity on your part (perhaps both).

    Respectfully,

    AISI

  7. #257
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I'm not up for any internal 'gimmick' signings. You see all the other teams lining up to interview TSpoon? Me neither.
    I dont think that argument alone has legs. Nobody was trying to get Nick Nurse when Toronto fired their Coach of the Year to bring him up. I am the furthest thing from Team Spoon but this argument against her does not carry water. You get the person you think is the best fit for you - whether there are 8 other teams after them or none

  8. #258
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I dont think that argument alone has legs. Nobody was trying to get Nick Nurse when Toronto fired their Coach of the Year to bring him up. I am the furthest thing from Team Spoon but this argument against her does not carry water. You get the person you think is the best fit for you - whether there are 8 other teams after them or none
    Just two years of coaching (involvement with) men's basketball hardly prepares someone for one of the 30 most coveted coaching opportunities in professional basketball. It's slightly different than coaching the 'Lady Techsters'. If we are destined to go that route, Becky Hammond is much more qualified.

  9. #259
    Just a random thought.
    I wonder if Bledsoe's lacklustre performance was down in part to dissatisfaction with the coach, like the. If that's the case, it's a ********** move by Bledsoe, just like JJR parting backstab, but maybe another pointer to the value of a new gen coach vs old school.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

  10. #260
    Ran across this though. Can see why she's so well liked. There's talent on the coaching staff between her and Vinson. If she wasn't coaching she'd be great on tv. Also didn't know the back story with her and Kira. She's know him since he was a kid and she coached his cousin.


  11. #261
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Ran across this though. Can see why she's so well liked. There's talent on the coaching staff between her and Vinson. If she wasn't coaching she'd be great on tv. Also didn't know the back story with her and Kira. She's know him since he was a kid and she coached his cousin.

    Man her energy is ridiculous. I don't know if she's head coach material right now, but I definitely see why the players love her after 2 mins of listening to one story.

  12. #262
    You guys gotta decide what it is/find important in a coach. Because in season, its all complaints about rotations and xs and os, etc - and thats why a guy should get fired. Then, when arguing for Spoon its her energy and how liked she is, which has nothing to do with what seems to be your guys top priority when games are actually played

  13. #263
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Ran across this though. Can see why she's so well liked. There's talent on the coaching staff between her and Vinson. If she wasn't coaching she'd be great on tv. Also didn't know the back story with her and Kira. She's know him since he was a kid and she coached his cousin.

    I can't speak for how she is as a coach, but I was at Louisiana Tech when she was named head coach. I often times played pickup games (more of a teacher/student pickup game) and she occasionally had played. I remember one time specifically where there was a girl playing basketball two courts over that was still a student at Ruston High School. She noticed and said she immediately had to go because the appearance could violate NCAA rules. Always stood out to me how ridiculous that was, but spoke of her character of not even being willing to bend rules and to do the right thing.

    Probably carries herself similarly with everything else she does, and the players notice, so they have the absolute respect for her as a person.

  14. #264
    I am not saying we have to go with Spoon, although I am very interested in the idea. I don't think player relations are independent of the rotations and xs and os, etc. It is not a feel good thing with player relations - its also about how to get the most effort out of a player, how to understand what they are the most comfortable with and how to get them to do what you need. Old school coaching was telling people what to do because you are the boss. Phil Jackson got his rep because he was able to relate to his players and lead them into being a cohesive, symbiotic team that played off each others strengths and was able to deal with the egos of world champions in their field. Too often when people are complaining about x's and o's its because the coach is stuck on their vision of how the game should be played and how the players should be used. Spoon's ability to relate to the players and reach them where they are and inspire them to try new things to better themselves and succeeding at that suggests she would not be limited by her attachments to a specific system or predetermined role for a player.

  15. #265
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    I am not saying we have to go with Spoon, although I am very interested in the idea. I don't think player relations are independent of the rotations and xs and os, etc. It is not a feel good thing with player relations - its also about how to get the most effort out of a player, how to understand what they are the most comfortable with and how to get them to do what you need. Old school coaching was telling people what to do because you are the boss. Phil Jackson got his rep because he was able to relate to his players and lead them into being a cohesive, symbiotic team that played off each others strengths and was able to deal with the egos of world champions in their field. Too often when people are complaining about x's and o's its because the coach is stuck on their vision of how the game should be played and how the players should be used. Spoon's ability to relate to the players and reach them where they are and inspire them to try new things to better themselves and succeeding at that suggests she would not be limited by her attachments to a specific system or predetermined role for a player.
    All that is fair. So, what do we know about Spoon's approach as a coach, strategies, willingness to scrap a game plan and adjust on the fly?

    Nothing. Not saying she is bad, but we have nothing. And I just find it interesting how what we evaluate a coach or coaching candidate always seems to be a moving goal post depending on the one we like and the one we dont. Heck, I remember a big critique of Monty was that he didnt get up a yell enough. Its just always shifting. Why? Because we have no idea what it takes to be a good coach, and beyond that, how much a good coach vs a not good one even matters.

  16. #266
    Here that thing goes again, great sage of rumorville, acting like it knows what the peons don't.

    This is a holy strawman argument that NOBODY made just now.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-20-2021 at 04:12 PM.

  17. #267
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Here that thing goes again, great sage of rumorville, acting like it knows what the peons don't.

    This is a holy strawman argument that NOBODY made just now.
    Actually, I said that I dont know and that nobody knows......so try again buddy

    You are truly the worst at this debate thing

  18. #268
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Actually, I said that I dont know and that nobody knows......so try again buddy

    You are truly the worst at this debate thing
    Maybe you just can't read your own words. People simply said they see why players like her so much.

    You respond with
    "Then, when arguing for Spoon its her energy and how liked she is"
    Thats your quote. Go read it. It's gibberish since NOBODY made an argument for her as head coach.

    Just shut up trying to put people in their place all the time.

  19. #269
    Minister Avery Johnson married Sean Payton and the chick Skylene over the weekend. So there is that. Pics are over on Saints Report

  20. #270
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Maybe you just can't read your own words. People simply said they see why players like her so much.

    You respond with Thats your quote. Go read it. It's gibberish since NOBODY made an argument for her as head coach.

    Just shut up trying to put people in their place all the time.
    Oh, okay....then tell me the pro-Spoon arguments. Not just here but on twitter, the Pels pods, the Bird Writes, Fletch, etc

    I didnt point to a specific person and say, "YOU said your argument for her was X"

    I am saying what the general pro-Spoon arguments are. And the only ones I have seen are that she is liked and her energy. If you can find me others, I would love to see them. Meanwhile, for other candidates its "When he was a coach of X team, they were 2nd in the league in points per possession on out of bounds plays and their D rating improved 15%"

    Its just funny to me that when you like a candidate, X and Y are the important criteria and when you like another candidate its A and B. I am at least comfortable enough saying I have no clue who will be a good coach and I also have no clue how important a good coach is

  21. #271
    It is more than that she is liked but rather she commands the respect and is listened to by the young core of the team. Since her job with the Pelicans was to help develop that core that is big and stands out. People want to ignore her coaching work in Women's Basketball at the college ranks so they are focusing on what she has done in the NBA. I'm not sure if you are passively trying to point out that she has not been a head coach in the NBA or blindly questioning why people are not commenting on her what she has done as a coach of X team.

    Since we have lost the trust of NBA all star players like AD, Chris Paul etc in the past and seem to be repeating this currently with SVG what she has done seems particularly relevant. Especially in light of getting the young core to improve when young players have historically been ignore and given little playtime historically here. We have just tried a head assistant from a very successful program followed by an Old School hard as nails coach. Neither worked that well.

    We could talk about her make thing the Hall of Fame and the respect she earned as a player. If people are more open to discussing what she did as head coach for Louisiana Tech then we could research her X's and O's , clock management etc. If we can pull up current interviews maybe we could find discussion on her general philosophy. We could talk about how things went in the summer league when she coached.

    With the Pelicans luck . favoring someone who does not become the head coach seems the safest spot as "I told you so" is the easy play. Is there something about how she did in the Summer League or as the HC for L Tech that you do not like ? Do you not like that she does not have head coach experience in the NBA ?

  22. #272
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    It is more than that she is liked but rather she commands the respect and is listened to by the young core of the team. Since her job with the Pelicans was to help develop that core that is big and stands out. People want to ignore her coaching work in Women's Basketball at the college ranks so they are focusing on what she has done in the NBA. I'm not sure if you are passively trying to point out that she has not been a head coach in the NBA or blindly questioning why people are not commenting on her what she has done as a coach of X team.

    Since we have lost the trust of NBA all star players like AD, Chris Paul etc in the past and seem to be repeating this currently with SVG what she has done seems particularly relevant. Especially in light of getting the young core to improve when young players have historically been ignore and given little playtime historically here. We have just tried a head assistant from a very successful program followed by an Old School hard as nails coach. Neither worked that well.

    We could talk about her make thing the Hall of Fame and the respect she earned as a player. If people are more open to discussing what she did as head coach for Louisiana Tech then we could research her X's and O's , clock management etc. If we can pull up current interviews maybe we could find discussion on her general philosophy. We could talk about how things went in the summer league when she coached.

    With the Pelicans luck . favoring someone who does not become the head coach seems the safest spot as "I told you so" is the easy play. Is there something about how she did in the Summer League or as the HC for L Tech that you do not like ? Do you not like that she does not have head coach experience in the NBA ?
    I would love if people did all those things. Like I said, I have nothing against her. Wont claim to know if she would be a good coach or bad. Or if coaching really matters that much. I am only commenting on how I have been a fan of this team for decades, covered them, wrote about them, read hundreds of thousands of message board posts, etc and I have never seen people advocate for a coach based on only being liked and respected by the players. It is almost always scheme talk, past win-loss record, pointing to specific development of specific players, etc

    And now, all of a sudden it changes. Thats the part I find weird. But I would LOVE if someone researched and found me ideas about schemes she would use, coaching principles, etc. like they usually do for every other candidate

  23. #273
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,549
    Teresa Witherspoon: 55 years of age.

    NBA Playing Experience: None

    NBA Coaching Experience: 2 years as a Developmental Coach (whatever that is).

    Ready for one of the top 30 jobs in professional Men's Basketball? Not no...HELL NO!!!

    Credentials for one of the top 30 jobs in Men's Basketball...NONE.

  24. #274
    Hall of Famer WildlifeAirGrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    New Orleans/Kenya
    Posts
    648
    Sadly, we are here again and this is my broken record...she is a proven winner at every level, including coaching NBA players. It might not mean much to this board, but we need to be relevant because I am willing to bet ticket renewals have tanked and new season tickets are non-existent and that matters. Yeah, I understand winning counts but the Pelicans need to make a splash today, not wait until maybe next March for the city to get interested. Not everyone is a basketball junkie.



    Although at this point, my guess she is just waiting for Pop to retire, but what do I know?
    Last edited by WildlifeAirGrp; 06-20-2021 at 07:42 PM.
    Thanks Pelicans Report - I get a laugh or three every day reading this thing. Hoping the magic returns to the SKC soon.
    Wildlife Aviation Group

  25. #275
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Teresa Witherspoon: 55 years of age.

    NBA Playing Experience: None

    NBA Coaching Experience: 2 years as a Developmental Coach (whatever that is).

    Ready for one of the top 30 jobs in professional Men's Basketball? Not no...HELL NO!!!

    Credentials for one of the top 30 jobs in Men's Basketball...NONE.
    To play the other side (because I know the argument against this): What were Steve Nash's credentials?

    So, before anyone says that, Brooklyn had guys who already knew the game. If we had hardened, experienced guys who already knew the fundamentals, had been through wars and didnt need to still build a foundation for their game, I would be totally fine with a coach with little experience. Making Nash coach of the Nets was fun. Giving him the Memphis job two years ago, by contrast, would have been insane.

    So, please dont bring up the Nash argument fellow poster, because that roster and ours is not apples to apples with regard to what it needs from its HC

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •