Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yes we should go after Dame!

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Lol, you trade Buddy and a 1st 101/100 times for prime Cousins. Man was a dominant beast. He only went down because he was forced to have such an extreme workload when Toni got sand in his vergin
    Cool. Needless to say, there's no need to empty the gas tank for Dame.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Cool. Needless to say, there's no need to empty the gas tank for Dame.
    I would like to empty a bit of the chest for SGA as I said

I would like to empty a bit of the chest for SGA as I said
    Out of curiosity, what would be your package for him?

Out of curiosity, what would be your package for him?
    Haven't put one together yet haha

Haven't put one together yet haha
    Bet, no issues there. But in my opinion, it's hard to put together a package since OKC has all the picks in the world. The only scenario I can see us pulling this off, is if we take Kemba's contract as well lol.... Plus our picks.

The reason OKC would want to sell on SGA now (if they would), is because they want to increase the value of their own picks. They had to shut SGA down for half a season just to give themselves a reasonable chance at a top 3 pick. If he comes back, how are they ever going to have a team bad enough to get that true #1 guy?

Thats why they would sell him, and they wouldnt care about cap space or a good current player back. They would want as many far out future picks as possible and maybe a young guy who could be good, but isnt right now. Kira, far out future picks of ours and Milwaukee, and that Lakers 2024/25 pick would be the core of the deal. Basically, they can add 3 more franchises to bet against. We would actually have the most appealing package to them of anybody, because of the specifics of what they want/need
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The reason OKC would want to sell on SGA now (if they would), is because they want to increase the value of their own picks. They had to shut SGA down for half a season just to give themselves a reasonable chance at a top 3 pick. If he comes back, how are they ever going to have a team bad enough to get that true #1 guy?

Thats why they would sell him, and they wouldnt care about cap space or a good current player back. They would want as many far out future picks as possible and maybe a young guy who could be good, but isnt right now. Kira, far out future picks of ours and Milwaukee, and that Lakers 2024/25 pick would be the core of the deal. Basically, they can add 3 more franchises to bet against. We would actually have the most appealing package to them of anybody, because of the specifics of what they want/need
    Dammit MM.... Don't give me hope like this....

I didnt. Just laying out the logic for why we would be a top contender for him if OKC did put him on the market. Which they should consider, if the goal in this whole thing is to get a true #1 guy.

The picks they own from other teams - most are protected, and a lot of them are from teams that wont ever be THAT bad. We know they wont sign a true #1. And trading for one and keeping him there is unlikely. So, the only path is their own picks. And their own picks wont be that good is SGA is on the team. So, it would make sense for them to trade him, similar to what Philly did with Jrue to kick start a few awful years to get top 3 picks.

It would make sense, but I dont believe they do it.

I don't see them doing it either. I do not see SGA or Dame as realistic options. Would be curious to see who becomes realistic options.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I don't see them doing it either. I do not see SGA or Dame as realistic options. Would be curious to see who becomes realistic options.
    Cameron Payne was able to carry the load when Paul was out. Just putting it out there. He is a FA

Any trade for Dame would cripple us to the point where we'll be a mediocre playoff team at best. Ingram, NAW, and Kira plus 3 picks would be mandatory to make the trade happen. We would be missing so much depth. And we've seen winning teams have 7-8 players in constant rotation.
    Waiting 7 more years is not going to cut it. Shop them all for Vets.

Signed

Zion

*Double facepalm*

Depth. They have depth. As I said, we need more valuable role players and two way players. Dame and Zion ain't providing no defense. At best, were the next Trailblazers constantly getting put out the playoffs in the first round. While we leverage our future out at the same time. I don't see the positives besides from ticket sales.

Last edited by 13 - 3; 06-28-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post

Well, you quote my posts without context. In my post after that I stated things we should be looking to do instead.

But, You're clearly right sir. Lets leverage our whole future for Dame just to be a borderline playoff team that starts from ground zero in a couple seasons but wont be able to do anything for 5 to 7 seasons.

But regardless, Speculation is cool and all. However, we aren't trading for Dame, at least for this off-season. So continue to debate this if you will, I'm off this train.

I wouldn't do it. We lose upside and $5m in cap. Ingram is only 23; he's gotten better each year. Good wing players are vastly harder to find than combo guards. Before BI our fans were clamoring for a quality versatile SF for years, like nearly as far back as Jamaal Mashburn. Players like BI are rare and we should let him develop.

Dame didn't become Dame until he was 25. Look at both of their stats at 22/23 years old:

Ingram - 24 PTS, 5 AST, 5 REB
    Lillard - 20 PTS, 6 AST, 3 REB

But regardless, Speculation is cool and all. However, we aren't trading for Dame, at least for this off-season. So continue to debate this if you will, I'm off this train.
    Yes because we have Bledsoe and Adams to develop. Lonzo lol. I don’t blame Zion for wanting out.

Yes we should go after Dame!

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWannabe View Post
    I wouldn't do it. We lose upside and $5m in cap. Ingram is only 23; he's gotten better each year. Good wing players are vastly harder to find than combo guards. Before BI our fans were clamoring for a quality versatile SF for years, like nearly as far back as Jamaal Mashburn. Players like BI are rare and we should let him develop.

Dame didn't become Dame until he was 25. Look at both of their stats at 22/23 years old:

To just call Dame a combo guard is silly. He is a Hall of Fame talent. He is the Alpha this franchise craves, he is the closer this young team needs. That said, we have many assets aside from Ingram that theoretically can still beat most offers available.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    To just call Dame a combo guard is silly. He is a Hall of Fame talent. He is the Alpha this franchise craves, he is the closer this young team needs. That said, we have many assets aside from Ingram that theoretically can still beat most offers available.
    I am not sure we have assets that could beat most offers without including BI. This is Lillard. Teams will part with stars/borderline stars plus picks for him. There would be plenty of suitors.

I am not sure we have assets that could beat most offers without including BI. This is Lillard. Teams will part with stars/borderline stars plus picks for him. There would be plenty of suitors.
    Did you see what James Harden was traded for? We have 9 first round picks and at least three decently intriguing young players on rookie contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    Did you see what James Harden was traded for? We have 9 first round picks and at least three decently intriguing young players on rookie contracts.
    Yeah, but do you recall why Harden was traded for that? He forced his way to the Nets, so the Rockets really had to take the best offer they could get from the Nets. Dame could do the same thing, which would likely eliminate the Pels. Also, there is still no indication that he will force his way out of Portland. He got the coach he wanted, so my guess is he is just trying to put pressure on management to add talent to the roster.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Harden also only has one year left on his deal (plus player option) and Lillard has three more years (plus player option). Lillard has far less say in where he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Harden also only has one year left on his deal (plus player option) and Lillard has three more years (plus player option). Lillard has far less say in where he goes.
    Harden had 2 plus an option when he was traded. Not much different.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Harden had 2 plus an option when he was traded. Not much different.
    You don't think there's a difference between 1.5 and 3?

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWannabe View Post

Can't compare 2016 player to 2021. Stats have gone up wildly.

Also # of years in the league matters. You can't compare year 2 Lillard to year 5 Ingram. As long as a guy joins the league at an age under 30, the general expectation is they improve rapidly their first few years in the league as they adjust to the NBA game. Lillard's 23 to 25 improvement is going to be much steeper than Ingram's most likely.

Welp. Probably to late now . LOL. Lebron has already started his recruiting

Thread Information