Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should Pels go all out for CP3 ?

Should Pels go all out for CP3 ?

Rumour is CP3 is going to test free agency for a longer term deal. If he does should we make a bid to get him for 2 years, maybe 3 ?

CP3 has proven his ability to lift young teams far above the sum of their individual parts. His leadership of OKC and Suns was outstanding. He has the respect of players young and old and is someone our own stars would look up to.

CP3 is a point god, full stop. He would turn our greatest positional weakness into a strength.

He's elite in areas where the Pels are weakest. Elite defence. Clutch scorer.

There is a risk at his age but his health has been generally good.

How can we make room for him ? Is it doable and would you do it ?
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Two years ago maybe. But for what it sounds like he's looking for ($100m over 3 years), no thanks. He probably has one really good year left just like Steve Nash in his final year in Phoenix before going to the Lakers for 2 years.

Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to the Lakers anyway.

For people to understand what would need to be done, and not just say yes blindly...understand what would need to happen

1. Renounce rights to Lonzo and Hart
    2. Straight out dump one of Bledsoe or Adams (likely using a pick or picks) to do so
    3. Use cap space, and therefore lose the ability to use MLE

Not saying I wouldnt do it (I would), but that team is gonna be CP3, Ingram, Zion, maybe Adams, and a bunch of unproven and/or cheap guys.
    @mcnamara247

I would be reluctant at this stage. I was very much in favour of acquiring him a year ago, and even before that when he was on the market out of Houston, but as others have pointed out his age is even further along now and it would require a fairly complex set of circumstances to even legally do.

For me it really depends on the length of the deal. Even just an expensive 2 year type thing I'd probably consider, since we have Jax, Zion, NAW, Kira, our draft pick from this year, Naji, and maybe even still Ingram, I'd probably do it. He's still extremely good. But if it was a long term thing where we had tens of millions of dollars tied up in him 4 years out, I would be erring on the side of no simply because that fall-off seems like it should be happening.

That said, maybe I'm worrying too much: that falloff seems like it's been due for about 5 years now but knowing Pels life, if we signed him for 4 years Father Time would immediately come calling.
    Basketball.

There is no running mate at guard to take the pressure off of him like Devin Booker does in Phoenix (sorry NAW Fans). Even though he's technically the lead guard, Booker gets all the attention. In order for CP3 to work in NOLA, BI would have to become money from three and "Point Zion" would have to be shelved (Thank Gawd). Too, at 36 years old, there can't be too much rubber left on tires and the wear has become apparent

Lastly, not taking anything at all away from CP3 (he's the best player ever to call NOLA home...not an insult to Maravich...just a fact), this team was beginning to mature last year with RR at the point. So Paul's success in Phoenix is partially 'being in the right place at the right time'. I think the Pelicans are a lot closer to OKC (SGA, Gallinari, Shroder, and Adams) for Paul to team up with than we are to Phoenix at this point in time.

I'd respectfully decline.
    Last edited by As I See It; 06-03-2021 at 11:37 PM.

I’ll take Booker too

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Definitely worth signing him and then getting vets who will sign for cheap because they want to play with CP3, BI, and Zion. PJ Tucker could be an option. Trade for Buddy Heild or CJ McCollum, maybe even Draymond Green. We need CP3 and a super elite shooter or defensive stopper/playmaker.

I don?t know what we can do to make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not sure he wants to be here, and he wants a 3 year contract at least.
    He is my favorite player ever and i really like him but i wouldn't do it and i don't think he would come anyway...

EDIT: i was saying we should get him last year but consensus was that he is too old...

On the topic of another older PG who might be available, would you take on Kemba Walker’s massive contract if Cs would take Bledsoe and Adams? Would we have to add a sweetener or would they? Genuinely unclear on Walker’s value at the moment. At 31 he might offer a viable 2-year bridge to Kira.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    On the topic of another older PG who might be available, would you take on Kemba Walker’s massive contract if Cs would take Bledsoe and Adams? Would we have to add a sweetener or would they? Genuinely unclear on Walker’s value at the moment. At 31 he might offer a viable 2-year bridge to Kira.
    Not particularly excited by Kemba to be honest.

I get the attraction, he can shoot and he's an okay passer which means he does add some much needed on-ball creation and handling to the team, but he's also 31 at only 6'0 tall (if that) and has already shown signs of being majorly injury prone: he missed 30 games this year, and about 25 last year if I remember rightly.

In fairness, CP3 is also injury prone but I think at this point CP3 is just clearly better than Kemba at nearly everything despite being multiple years older on both ends.

Plus you have the permanent issue with a player option which is if Kemba has a fire year next season he may just opt out and go elsewhere and then it's not a 2 year bridge (a bridge which would likely be very expensive) but a one year stop-gap and the cost would likely be pretty significant for that stopgap.

Paying a lot for a one year rental can be worth it if it tips you over into being a legit contender - the Raptors knew that when they got Kawhi. But doing it for a guy who might just help you make the 7th seed is pretty galling. I'd be looking elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Not particularly excited by Kemba to be honest.

I get the attraction, he can shoot and he's an okay passer which means he does add some much needed on-ball creation and handling to the team, but he's also 31 at only 6'0 tall (if that) and has already shown signs of being majorly injury prone: he missed 30 games this year, and about 25 last year if I remember rightly.

In fairness, CP3 is also injury prone but I think at this point CP3 is just clearly better than Kemba at nearly everything despite being multiple years older on both ends.

Plus you have the permanent issue with a player option which is if Kemba has a fire year next season he may just opt out and go elsewhere and then it's not a 2 year bridge (a bridge which would likely be very expensive) but a one year stop-gap and the cost would likely be pretty significant for that stopgap.

Paying a lot for a one year rental can be worth it if it tips you over into being a legit contender - the Raptors knew that when they got Kawhi. But doing it for a guy who might just help you make the 7th seed is pretty galling. I'd be looking elsewhere.
    If it cleared the books of both Adams and Bledsoe plus a future first rounder, I would be interested. I've stated my reserve about < 6'4" players before, but to get rid of those two contracts might make a one year rental worth it. I do think Kira might benefit (for what it's worth), but he is still a couple years away (if ever).
    Last edited by As I See It; 06-04-2021 at 07:32 AM.

Give me assets and I will happily take Kemba. Adams and Bledsoe for Kemba, Grant Williams, and #16 and we got a deal

Kemba way overrated. Haven’t we learned anything from the Bledsoe, Solomon, Gordon, Posey, and on and on contracts

Where can I find these Kemba ratings?

Knicks passed on a Kemba. That should tell you something

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Where can I find these Kemba ratings?
    Had more fouls than points in a game? Was it a playoff game?
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 06-04-2021 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Knicks passed on a Kemba. That should tell you something
    LOL...that's funny!!!

I rather Dame over Kemba if what came out of S.A.S. Mouth on First Take just now is true

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Give me assets and I will happily take Kemba. Adams and Bledsoe for Kemba, Grant Williams, and #16 and we got a deal
    I’d think about it. Fills that short term gap at starting guard, adds some 3 point shooting and allows us to free up minutes for Jax and maybe to sign Willy to a cheap contract. And I think he expires on Zion’s contract year too yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I rather Dame over Kemba if what came out of S.A.S. Mouth on First Take just now is true
    I think the idea is that we’d let Kemba walk once his contract expires. They are trying to weasel their way out of his contract so maybe we can get a deal as Mac said.

I have a few concerns.

1. His age.
    2. Buying high.
    3. Making room for him

Otherwise he is just the type of player we need. I'd make it happen. The long term pieces I'm concerned you have to sacrifice would be Lonzo and probably a first. Unless Lonzo was willing to sign for around 16 mil I wouldn't feel overjoyed about that contract. No guarantee he signs anyway. The first would hurt, hopefully we reduce that cost to offload Bledsoe.

I just wish we could have done that last year before adding Bledsoe, Adams and having young players to decide on. Becomes tougher this year but our stars and youth need someone to show them how to win.
    Last edited by Stalwart385; 06-04-2021 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart385 View Post
    I have a few concerns.

1. His age.
    2. Buying high.
    3. Making room for him

Otherwise he is just the type of player we need. I'd make it happen. The long term pieces I'm concerned you have to sacrifice would be Lonzo and probably a first. Unless Lonzo was willing to sign for around 16 mil I wouldn't feel overjoyed about that contract. No guarantee he signs anyway. The first would hurt, hopefully we reduce that cost to offload Bledsoe.

I just wish we could have done that last year before adding Bledsoe, Adams and having young players to decide on. Becomes tougher this year but our stars and youth need someone to show them how to win.
    If the only sacrifice is Lonzo and a first you do that trade every day and twice on Sunday. In reality the cost would be higher, which is more of a discussion: I don't really see why the Suns would want to give him up, since he seems to be getting along there quite well and it's not like there's any on-court reason to want him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If the only sacrifice is Lonzo and a first you do that trade every day and twice on Sunday. In reality the cost would be higher, which is more of a discussion: I don't really see why the Suns would want to give him up, since he seems to be getting along there quite well and it's not like there's any on-court reason to want him out.
    Doesn't he have a player option? I was thinking he becomes a FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart385 View Post
    Doesn't he have a player option? I was thinking he becomes a FA.
    He does, it's for $44m. He might go into FA, if he thinks he can get more than that over the next couple of years which he probably can, but since the Suns have his Bird Rights and they obviously have control over Ayton, Bridges, Cam Johnson, and Booker, I don't know why the Suns wouldn't just bring CP3 back themselves on a longer deal unless he wants like a full 4 years on max cash, which is a big gamble.

Thread Information