Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: S&T Possibilities for Lonzo

S&T Possibilities for Lonzo

NY Knicks
    Knicks have been dying for a pass first point for a while now. They are living off the fumes of Derrick Rose while Elfrid Payton has seen low minutes in the playoffs. Lonzo (at least Lonzo's perceived playmaking and defense) also fits Thibs defensive emphasis. The Knicks have the 19th, 21st, 32nd, and 58th picks in this year's draft. Players they could send back are slim pickings. Reggie Bullock is a free agent. Possibly Elfrid Payton.

Boston
    A team that has been under fire, especially this year, for lack of playmaking. They only have two players with an ast % above 20% and an assist ratio above 15 (Kemba & Smart). That's really it. Pelicans have 3 players (Lonzo, Ingram, "Point" Zion) with Kira very close to being a 4th that fit those admittedly arbitrary parameters. Even though Boston would probably love to offload Kemba at this point, any S&T for Lonzo would have to at least send back Marcus Smart, who they'll probably look to trade next season anyway. That's because Smart is on an expiring next year then will be a UFA. I'm fine with that rental if they include a draft pick or 2.

Chicago
    Was talked about in the past, but currently don't see it as an option. No real assets on the Bulls side.

Disclaimer: None of this comes from any sauces. Just one fan's own thoughts on possible fits. Teams where Klutch would definitely approve, but may not have the cap space to sign him outright.
    Last edited by luckyman; 05-27-2021 at 04:10 PM.

Miami had some interest at the deadline but will be going hard after Lowry. If Lowry stays in Toronto, I would put Miami on the list. The Clippers. Philly had some interest and when Curry gets played off the court vs Brooklyn, I think they will want Lonzo in that role. But Lonzo and his camp wants Chicago. They worked hard with both sides to get a deal done but Chicago refused to add a pick and Griff wasn't willing to do it for just Lauri
    @mcnamara247

I would have added the Clippers, but I'm sure the preference is to send him east. Plus the Clippers situation may be about to drastically change should they lose in this 1st round to Dallas.

When a guy sucks, you dont care where you send him. Just take the best deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Miami had some interest at the deadline but will be going hard after Lowry. If Lowry stays in Toronto, I would put Miami on the list. The Clippers. Philly had some interest and when Curry gets played off the court vs Brooklyn, I think they will want Lonzo in that role. But Lonzo and his camp wants Chicago. They worked hard with both sides to get a deal done but Chicago refused to add a pick and Griff wasn't willing to do it for just Lauri
    So the Chicago deal was just Lauri for Ball?

A first or second?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    A first or second?
    A first

Fair enough then

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Fair enough then
    That’s a guess but no way Griff said no on the deal because of a second IMO

It will take an Earthshattering offer for Lonzo not to be here next year, but JHart is another matter entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    So the Chicago deal was just Lauri for Ball?
    That was their offer. Griff said no, unless they give uo a future 1st. Bulls thought Griff would eventually settle and he didnt so there was no deal. Even a lotto protected pick, and Lonzo was gone. Griff aint greedy, but he wants to get somethibg fimor him

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    It will take an Earthshattering offer for Lonzo not to be here next year, but JHart is another matter entirely.
    I don't understand how some of yall think the team wants to keep Lonzo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    I don't understand how some of yall think the team wants to keep Lonzo.
    They dont. Unless he signs the QO or comes in on a deal around the 15 mil a year mark - which he wont because it would make more sense to sign the QO and bet on himself if thats the biggest offer he got.

The only debate is if they match a bigger contract, assuming they cant find a sign and trade (or Lonzo wont go to the team who wants to do the sign and trade) or do they just let him walk? That is their worst case scenario - someone gives him a 4/85 and their choices are: Match and try to trade him later or let him walk for nothing. They have said to people they will do the latter but I dont believe them

They dont. Unless he signs the QO or comes in on a deal around the 15 mil a year mark - which he wont because it would make more sense to sign the QO and bet on himself if thats the biggest offer he got.

The only debate is if they match a bigger contract, assuming they cant find a sign and trade (or Lonzo wont go to the team who wants to do the sign and trade) or do they just let him walk? That is their worst case scenario - someone gives him a 4/85 and their choices are: Match and try to trade him later or let him walk for nothing. They have said to people they will do the latter but I dont believe them
    Yeah I don't believe that for a second either. If teams are offering $20 mil, why wouldn't Griff think he could trade him to one of those same teams down the line? Letting Lonzo walk for nothing would be the most surprising outcome. Would be shocking really.

Its just risky. What if those teams fill that need elsewhere? What if Lonzo gets a major injury? You match on Eric Gordon and for the next few years he is a negative asset because of his contract and injuries. And whats the best case scenario of positive return if you do match on a big 4/85-ish deal? Like, is a team going to give you a first for him? A good player? I highly doubt it. Maybe he helps as a matching contract, but if thats the case, why not just let him walk for nothing and sign a guy or guys for that same money on 1 or 2 year deals?

If a team wants to give him $85 mill for 4 years, then good for Lonzo, but we need to let him go. No way has he proven to be worth that, and we'd be better off using that cap space elsewhere than worrying about trying to recoup our sunk cost.

Exactly!!!

This group let Wood walk and got burned. They 'ostensibly' let Randle walk and got burned. They will not do it a third time.
    Last edited by As I See It; 05-28-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Exactly!!!

This group let Wood walk and got burned. They 'ostensibly' let Randle walk and got burned. They will not do it a third time.
    My understanding for Wood was that it was not necessarily "on the court" reasons that he was not a priority to keep. Maybe they'd take that one back if they could, but I'm not sure on that? Randle fits better in New York. Good for him. That doesn't make keeping Lonzo more urgent.

Hall of Famer Contributor scedotal's Avatar
    I think we improve if we let him walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just do what we should do every offseason and ear mark this thread. Then when we're in the regular season and the usual suspects are pretending like they have inside info or are actually decent at reading the tea leaves.....pop out these receipts.

It's the same people who said Zo would never shoot better, that Julius Randle couldn't improve, originally said Jrue would be awful, and have yet to accurately predict any big trade or offseason signing in the X+ years I've been here.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Just do what we should do every offseason and ear mark this thread. Then when we're in the regular season and the usual suspects are pretending like they have inside info or are actually decent at reading the tea leaves.....pop out these receipts.

It's the same people who said Zo would never shoot better, that Julius Randle couldn't improve, originally said Jrue would be awful, and have yet to accurately predict any big trade or offseason signing in the X+ years I've been here.
    I’m okay with Lonzo staying if he takes less than 20 mil a year, plays SG, and starts attacking the basket.

I?m conflicted on Zo and Hart because I like them both as people and in the locker room and there is always the chance that continuity finally kicks in for year 3 and Lonzo at least fills a smidge of his potential. But I?m not sure as I see the issues we saw in year one came rearing it?s ugly head in year 2 as well. Consistency is everything and Lonzo is very Helter Skelter. He?d have to overcome some huge hurdles mentally because that is where the issue lies.
    Last edited by JJackisangry; 05-31-2021 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I?m conflicted on Zo and Hart because I like them both as people and in the locker room and there is always the chance that continuity finally kicks in for year 3 and Lonzo at least fills a smidge of his potential. But I?m not sure as I see the issues we saw in year one came rearing it?s ugly head in year 2 as well. Consistency is everything and Lonzo is very Helter Skelter. He?d have to overcome some huge hurdles mentally because that is where the issue lies.
    Consistency is every young player's bane. So, it's a matter of what you see Lonzo as:

....A young player who has taken strides since coming to New Orleans, or

....A four year veteran who has capped on his potential.

In either case, I think one thing is most likely. Regardless of whether he plays here or not next year, any contract offer this summer will be matched. His value to the Pelicans may not be as a player, but as an asset to be traded to upgrade the talent on the team. The 20MM alone that we would save by letting him walk would not be enough to attract a difference maker in the open market.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Consistency is every young player's bane. So, it's a matter of what you see Lonzo as:

....A young player who has taken strides since coming to New Orleans, or

....A four year veteran who has capped on his potential.

In either case, I think one thing is most likely. Regardless of whether he plays here or not next year, any contract offer this summer will be matched. His value to the Pelicans may not be as a player, but as an asset to be traded to upgrade the talent on the team. The 20MM alone that we would save by letting him walk would not be enough to attract a difference maker in the open market.
    Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Lonzo haters just feel the way they do because of what he 'could be'. I like the player that he is and would prefer him to focus on being a spot up SG with great handles and passing for that position. 20mil a year is steep for him though and he'll likely get that offer. It boils down to how important he is as a part of the current nucleus, is he really loved by Zion and Ingram? Is the team really set on Ingram as the guy to pair with Zion? Those are important aspects too. If the FO feels like Zion and Ingram is not a winning duo then how much does keeping the LA boys together and happy matter? How much does the team value the Zion/Lonzo combo?

Personally I'd keep going with this core. There is still natural growth to get out of the players we have. The weakness of this team seems to be defensive tenacity, shooting and depth. We have a good pick this year and multiple 1sts for the next 5 years. We can fill the voids around the core in place and we should, assuming that core likes playing together.

Thread Information