Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Official *Coin Flip Even Though it's a 3 Way Tie* thread

Assuming the following guys are gone, what are your top 3 big board for 10th overall?

Suggs x
    Cade x
    Mobley x
    Green x
    Kuminga x
    Barnes x
    K Johnson x
    Moody x

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Assuming the following guys are gone, what are your top 3 big board for 10th overall?

Suggs x
    Cade x
    Mobley x
    Green x
    Kuminga x
    Barnes x
    K Johnson x
    Moody x
    FYI mine are Davion Mitchell, Jalen Johnson and Corey Kispert.

Sengun, Giddey, Kispert

Also, only 14 sims of the lottery for the Pels to get #1, we got this fam lol

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Sengun, Giddey, Kispert
    Sengun is an interesting choice. Giddey, well, I'm an Aussie too so, I get it lol.

Who do you compare Sengun to in the NBA currently?

Sengun is an interesting choice. Giddey, well, I'm an Aussie too so, I get it lol.

Who do you compare Sengun to in the NBA currently?
    I see a bit of Luka in him with some insane passing and footwork. He likes to bang down low too

Do we have to swap second rounders with Chicago or am I imagining it

Suggs x
    Cade x
    Mobley x
    Green x
    Kuminga x
    Barnes x
    K Johnson x
    Moody x
    Wagner, Springer, and I could take Sengun or Giddey as the third.

Probably forgetting someone obvious, my memory sucks
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    June 22nd can?t get here quick enough. If I don?t hear the Pelicans name called at pick 10 then I?ll probably wake the neighbors from shouting so loud out of excitement.
    Or you can hear there name called at pick 11
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Wagner, Springer, and I could take Sengun or Giddey as the third.

Probably forgetting someone obvious, my memory sucks
    I trust your draft insight more than mines at this point but been looking into Franz and he has some heavy holes in his game offensively which projects him to be a long term project more than I expected. How drafting him can help us win next season if the goal is playoffs or bust? Btw I do believe there are some rookies that can be helpful to help winning some games, I'm not sure he will be one of them. I have Springer, Mitchell, and Kispert ahead of him in that category

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I trust your draft insight more than mines at this point but been looking into Franz and he has some heavy holes in his game offensively which projects him to be a long term project more than I expected. How drafting him can help us win next season if the goal is playoffs or bust? Btw I do believe there are some rookies that can be helpful to help winning some games, I'm not sure he will be one of them. I have Springer, Mitchell, and Kispert ahead of him in that category
    What do you consider "help winning games"? I am genuinely curious when people talk about this. Because some just mean - in the rotation, not hurting you, and playing well at times. Others say it to mean as a catalyst that REALLY helps.

So, for example - did Desmond Bane and Tillman help Memphis win games this year? I would say no, because I think you could get a similar production from two average guys if you split the MLE. I think Luka helped Dallas win games his rookie year. Ja helped Memphis win games last year. LaMelo to a lesser extent this year.

But by my definition, like 1 or 2 rookies might help you win games in a given season. Whereas 6-15 can be fine guys in your rotation, who can have moments. And by my definition, I dont think anybody available at 10 is going to help you "win games" this year but they will be several available who could do for us what a Bane did or what Haliburton was starting to do, maybe on the high end a Herro at the end of his rookie year.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    What do you consider "help winning games"? I am genuinely curious when people talk about this. Because some just mean - in the rotation, not hurting you, and playing well at times. Others say it to mean as a catalyst that REALLY helps.

So, for example - did Desmond Bane and Tillman help Memphis win games this year? I would say no, because I think you could get a similar production from two average guys if you split the MLE. I think Luka helped Dallas win games his rookie year. Ja helped Memphis win games last year. LaMelo to a lesser extent this year.

But by my definition, like 1 or 2 rookies might help you win games in a given season. Whereas 6-15 can be fine guys in your rotation, who can have moments. And by my definition, I dont think anybody available at 10 is going to help you "win games" this year but they will be several available who could do for us what a Bane did or what Haliburton was starting to do, maybe on the high end a Herro at the end of his rookie year.
    Based on your definition it will fall in the ball park of what Bane and others did being possible rotational players getting 8-12 mpg. I also factor in the stubbornness of our HC and his history of not playing rookies, so if we would draft someone it has to be a player with a pretty good, close to elite skill that can contribute in some way to the point where SVG will be foolish to not play them. That's why I have players like Kispert (shooting) and Springer (bbiq, Defensive pressure, and shooting even though small sample size) and Mitchell over players like Franz who I can see struggling since his game will need to be more tuning which will possibly redshirt his rookie season.

My take would be different if we had a different HC.

Based on your definition it will fall in the ball park of what Bane and others did being possible rotational players getting 8-12 mpg. I also factor in the stubbornness of our HC and his history of not playing rookies, so if we would draft someone it has to be a player with a pretty good, close to elite skill that can contribute in some way to the point where SVG will be foolish to not play them. That's why I have players like Kispert (shooting) and Springer (bbiq, Defensive pressure, and shooting even though small sample size) and Mitchell over players like Franz who I can see struggling since his game will need to be more tuning which will possibly redshirt his rookie season.

My take would be different if we had a different HC.
    I think it would be different if we had 1-8 ultra solidified with players who were good and had specific roles. Then, you can bring in specialty players and ask them to do one or two things. But we arent there yet. I could see a future in which we put together a much better top part of the roster this year, for instance, and then maybe a 2nd rounder becoming a solid rotational guy. But you have to get the top part of the roster solid.

I think, with a good roster, SVG would have been fine playing Naji at the end of the year even though he was just a rookie. Kira - not so much. But if Griff is going to use an elite resource - a top pick - he is going to shoot for a player with big upside. So, if we stayed at 10, his goal wouldnt be to draft a guy who could play this year. Ironically, I would say the guy we take at 34 would have a better chance at contributing next year than the guy at 10, if we kept both picks

I don't think that's accurate. He was largely asked to be a secondary creator and that's what he was. He's shown skill in his passing craft, including off the dribble, and particularly executing out of the pick and roll, and while I don't expect him to be a perfect offensive hub, I don't think any player picked around that spot will be a perfect offensive player on day one. If they were, they wouldn't be going 10th or 11th, they'd be going top 5. Anyone else you can name at that spot also has problems. Alpen Sengun has massive holes in his defense. Giddey has zero physicality and can't finish. Usman Garuba, who I also love and think would be a good pick there, can't shoot whatsoever even a little tiny bit.

I think it's telling that, of the people you named who are better than him, they're several years older than except Springer, who I think is criminally underrated and should be considered a top 8 prospect in this draft. I can see a clear argument for Springer over Kuminga, for example.

My policy with regards Mitchell and Kispert is thus:

1) Mitchell: don't draft small guards in the lottery unless they're outlier great at something valuable. Mitchell isn't. His best skill is on-ball D, which is less useful in the NBA than team defense, and I don't buy his shooting.
    2) Kispert: Again, way older than Wagner, without the on-ball creation craft for others and without the outlier team defense. Better shooter at this point, no question, but I think Wagner has positive upside to improve as a shooter.

Thread Information