Pelicans Report

Thread: 5th Pick in 2021 Draft

5th Pick in 2021 Draft

I know the narrative has been that there is a clear top 5 in this draft, but I have spoken to multiple people in the league and they say that simply isnt the case. There is a top 4, with many having a top 2 and then a second tier 2, and then a drop off to a Tier 3 that has between 3 and 9 guys. I have been told Cade, Suggs, Mobley, and Green will go top 4 and nobody else has a chance of going top 4, regardless of who gets the pick.

That said, imagine a situation we get the 9th pick and #5 is up for sale. What is the MOST you would give up to swap up to 5 and who would you be targeting?
    @mcnamara247

The Franchise
    I’d give up 9, a laker pick and a buck pick to get Kuminga. Anyone else I’d maybe give up 9 and Lakers pick.

I know you don’t think anyone will trade from too 4 but I think it’s dependent on who’s there. Houston and OK aren’t trading. If it’s Golden State and maybe Toronto I could see them trading.

I wouldn’t give up a thing to trade up to 5, because the Pels could get the same value of player at 9. The rationale is in your post. If we are not in the top 4, then the pick should be one of 3 players; Moody, Mitchell, or Kispert, in that order. We shouldn’t be trading up unless it is into the top 4. All of these guys are role players next year. Moody and Mitchell have higher ceilings who could become more.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 05-23-2021 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I’d give up 9, a laker pick and a buck pick to get Kuminga. Anyone else I’d maybe give up 9 and Lakers pick.

I know you don’t think anyone will trade from too 4 but I think it’s dependent on who’s there. Houston and OK aren’t trading. If it’s Golden State and maybe Toronto I could see them trading.
    They might trade it, but they dont trade down. They would trade it for a big time current player, not 9 and some other picks or 9 and an average player. You trade a pick like that for Beal or KAT or Sabonis and Brogdon. Not 9 and future picks

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post

I love Kuminga but I think because of his shooting he might be a terrible fit unless Zion is the primary center and Kuminga PF

Basketball Guru
    so majority of the board was going hard in the paint for this team to tank just to draft lonzo, a player most tanking posters despise lol.......yall said this draft was deep....

I am growing more and more fond of Keon Johnson every day. Another guy who cant shoot (yet), but I love the attitude, defensive upside, and supposed work ethic. The West is going to have numerous on and off ball guards we will have to slow down over the next decade (Luka, Mitchell, Booker, Fox, Murray, etc) and I think Keon can be a monster on that end.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I am growing more and more fond of Keon Johnson every day. Another guy who cant shoot (yet), but I love the attitude, defensive upside, and supposed work ethic. The West is going to have numerous on and off ball guards we will have to slow down over the next decade (Luka, Mitchell, Booker, Fox, Murray, etc) and I think Keon can be a monster on that end.
    I'd rather just have Moses Moody, who has equal or better defensive potential while also being a great shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I love Kuminga but I think because of his shooting he might be a terrible fit unless Zion is the primary center and Kuminga PF
    I actually think Kuminga had a hugely disappointing year from what we could see, with most of his HS problems being exposed further and relatively few of his strengths showing through. I had him as a likely top 5 pick before the season started and now I am very sceptical about taking him top 8.
    Basketball.

Thread Information