Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Guy You Would Gamble On

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The key to this question is you gotta think about guys who you also might not like very much, I think. Like Lauri Markkanen or players who you liked i the draft way back but haven’t seemed to live up to their potential. Like Jarret Culver.

seemingly deandre hunter is well ahead of cam reddish in Atl these days......... with Reddish only shooting like 26% on 3's this year

but his stroke has always been sweet as can be and he does shoot FT's over 80% his first two years; hence, I think he would be an easy fix in regards to shooting percentage

the hawks have a lot of guys who can do what he does, maybe they would part w him

I feel like more success has been had with vets who are overpaid, oft injured, etc on these risk/reward ventures. The gut for fans is to always look to the 22-25 year old and hope for their upside and possible long term fit. But we have enough guys who we need to teach the game to. Guys we have to teach toughness and IQ to. Get me guys who already know all that stuff and we just have to keep healthy with Nelson or overpay a bit while we vastly underpay Zion
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I feel like more success has been had with vets who are overpaid, oft injured, etc on these risk/reward ventures. The gut for fans is to always look to the 22-25 year old and hope for their upside and possible long term fit. But we have enough guys who we need to teach the game to. Guys we have to teach toughness and IQ to. Get me guys who already know all that stuff and we just have to keep healthy with Nelson or overpay a bit while we vastly underpay Zion
    My feeling entirely, Mac!!! Youth is underrated and undervalued or is it overrated and overvalued? Eh, you know what I mean!!!! We need MATURITY and EXPERIENCE, desperately.

Kemba Walker, Kevin Love, Al Horford, John Wall, and Paul George (If clippers just want to blow it up but I doubt it) all come to mind when you put it that way. The only one I'd be VERY weary of the risk/reward would be John Wall and his on going health issues. But as you said, Nelson could work some magic.

Not sure of Wall's fit here, but the dude can for sure still ball. Then we can use Lonzo as bait to lure in more shooters or let him walk and try to sign some shooters.
    Last edited by hornetzplaya; 05-23-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    My feeling entirely, Mac!!! Youth is underrated and undervalued or is it overrated and overvalued? Eh, you know what I mean!!!! We need MATURITY and EXPERIENCE, desperately.
    Agree - and to me the question is: Do we add those guys while giving up assets (a Brogdon, a Jeremi Grant, etc) or do we add a Kemba, a Love, a Horford, etc without giving up assets? I think I would rather do the latter unless the guy was just a perfect fit and/or sure thing needle mover. Otherwise, gamble on the undervalued ones and save those assets for when the star comes available.

The Franchise
    Otto Porter prob fits best as a potential buy low candidate. I personally like youth because of potential. Get a lot of then and hope 1 or 2 become studs. Once they are good you aren?t getting them hence we talking about older overrated guys. Reddish and Culver are my type of players I?d try for, length and athleticism and maybe Reddish could take the sting out of losing Lonzo.

I think I could live with Kemba for a year or 2 till another PG comes available or we develop one.

Kemba, NAW, Kira
    Beasley, Hart, Jalen Green( I?m spending my money to get him)
    BI, Reddish, Culver
    Zion, Collins, (he?d be my FA grab and be in my finishing 5), Porter
    Hayes, Dieng, Willy (maybe Bagley if we can afford it, which I doubt after resigning Hart,Porter and a big pay for Collins)

If we got Kemba it be nice to get Robert Williams. Just a thought
    Last edited by tdcreator; 05-23-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Agree - and to me the question is: Do we add those guys while giving up assets (a Brogdon, a Jeremi Grant, etc) or do we add a Kemba, a Love, a Horford, etc without giving up assets? I think I would rather do the latter unless the guy was just a perfect fit and/or sure thing needle mover. Otherwise, gamble on the undervalued ones and save those assets for when the star comes available.
    With regard to Kemba and Love, I agree (may I add Ricky Rubio to your list?). But, I think "Horford the Hawk" is forever lost; I wouldn't touch him.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Here is a list of UFA's to look through.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/ufa/

Nothing super exciting. Mostly guys you would pick up if your team was already established and you just needed 1 role player to get you over the hump.

I think we will absolutely have to trade some of our hoarded picks and get perfect attitude/effort/skill/culture guys in here ASAP.

Trade our picks to Knicks for Barrett. That may make Zion happy!

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I am not really sure if these guys meet the intended criteria of this post, but I think they both would likely be worth UFA consideration..... McDermott and Olynyk....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Both John wall and buddy heild are great choices, wall could squeeze out more years of his athleticism and top tier passing and you really can’t find a better fit than Buddy to open the lane for Zion

This lineup isn’t gonna happen but it looks nice

Wall
    Buddy
    Ingram
    Zion
    Adams/Jax

Checking out some vet FA we might be able to afford. You can let me know how unrealistic.

How much would Alec Burks cost? I might gamble on him being a starting SG depending on how the offseason goes. Doesn't fit the buy low great, just that he's been a bench player most of his career. Just let him take advantage of those open 3s no one else can. Hopefully he can carry over some of that defense from the Knicks.

A bench piece I like the idea of is Ersan Ilyasova. Decent career shooter for a PF. Hasn't played a ton lately, might come cheap?

Not the big piece I think you meant in the OP but just some names that popped out to me when looking at FAs.

McDermott is an UFA

Definitely spend what is left of the MLE on him

My gut is to gamble on older and even less valued guys around the league. I dont think Buddy is humbled yet, and I think he would want to start and/or be a massive part of the offense. I want a guy who is viewed as a clear net negative around the league. Somebody that other teams are saying that you have to pay us to take. A guy who will just be so happy to get out of his situation and get a fresh start (Buddy kind of fits that one). Another example would be Kemba, who I think could have a 2nd life doing what Lou Will did the last few years, previous to this one. Would you be vastly overpaying for that? Yes. But I'd rather overpay for that than Adams and Bledsoe
    Wait, is this an argument for Bledsoe? Or Eric Gordon? Seriously, assuming we'll be limited to MLE or less, I'll throw out Exum, McBuckets, and Avery Bradley. More bargain hunting (so not really the net negative criteria)...E'Twaun Moore, Garrett Temple, Bazemore, Wayne Ellington.

Deal Ingram and whatever picks they want if Mitchell is starting to be unhappy in Utah

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Deal Ingram and whatever picks they want if Mitchell is starting to be unhappy in Utah
    Doubt he is that unhappy over 1 game.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Wait, is this an argument for Bledsoe? Or Eric Gordon? Seriously, assuming we'll be limited to MLE or less, I'll throw out Exum, McBuckets, and Avery Bradley. More bargain hunting (so not really the net negative criteria)...E'Twaun Moore, Garrett Temple, Bazemore, Wayne Ellington.
    I'd take E'Twaun back for the league minimum. He's a lifetime 39% flame thrower who had his best years in NOLA. As shooters go, we could do worse.

RESPECT DA KID!!! Contributor BigChris504's Avatar
    Whatever it takes to acquire C.J. McCullum........ WHATEVER IT TAKES!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigChris504 View Post
    My top offer would be: Bledsoe, Kira, #9 pick this year, our top 4 protected pick next year, and as many 2nd rounders as they want.

Quote Originally Posted by BigChris504 View Post
    He would be a great fit.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Kelly Olynyk !

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Kelly Olynyk !
    Good call

My top offer would be: Bledsoe, Kira, #9 pick this year, our top 4 protected pick next year, and as many 2nd rounders as they want.
    Don't see why they would take that deal unless they were blowing it up and if they're gonna blow it up, we need to be going after their other guard. Offer them everything.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Don't see why they would take that deal unless they were blowing it up and if they're gonna blow it up, we need to be going after their other guard. Offer them everything.
    They ain't dealing Dame. He's the franchise

Is Tyler Herro on his way out in with the Heat, because he has been MIA since last season.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Thread Information