Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Guy You Would Gamble On

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The main reason you can’t compare Bledsoe to McCollum is Bledsoe is supposed to be an elite defender.
    This is true, whereas CJ is widely known as being a turnstile.

Bledsoe was also a turnstile this year, but at least we know on paper he's capable of not being that. CJ has just always been atrocious defensively. Like, one of the worst heavy minutes players in the NBA; strangely enough, a category Dame also fits into.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    This is true, whereas CJ is widely known as being a turnstile.

Bledsoe was also a turnstile this year, but at least we know on paper he's capable of not being that. CJ has just always been atrocious defensively. Like, one of the worst heavy minutes players in the NBA; strangely enough, a category Dame also fits into.
    And this is the very reason you cannot win playoff games consistently with two guy's in your back-court who can't play defense. Unless of course you had Curry and Dame...then maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    And this is the very reason you cannot win playoff games consistently with two guy's in your back-court who can't play defense. Unless of course you had Curry and Dame...then maybe.
    I actually think Curry is an okay enough defender to not be in the same tier. Not saying he's great or anything, but I think he has better hands than either Dame or CJ and is generally better positionally, even if he's still lacking in length and strength.

But yeah I do think a big part of the Blazers continued struggles in the post-season are related to the fact that their two Main Guys are just all-world garbage tier at half of the game.

You can have a team where your best offensive player isn't good on defense, that's actually not that unusual, but you can't have a team where all of your best offensive players are incredibly bad at defense

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So, I know you guys are all grain of salt, whatever but I have it on good authority the two top targets (that Griff feels are possible) this offseason are Beal and Sabonis. We have been down the Beal road before, so I will open it up for Sabonis. What is the MOST you would give up for him? Not the trade you would offer or want to make but the one that would hurt but you would still pull the trigger over not doing it? And from there, how would you complete the offseason (lets assume Indy does not want Adams back in the trade as part of this exercise)
    I don't know that he'd be an ideal fit, but I'd say Bled (3rd team?), Jax, NAW or Kira and 1-2 FRP depending on protections. Maybe recency bias but would rather trade Milwaukee picks than Lakers.

So, I know you guys are all grain of salt, whatever but I have it on good authority the two top targets (that Griff feels are possible) this offseason are Beal and Sabonis. We have been down the Beal road before, so I will open it up for Sabonis. What is the MOST you would give up for him? Not the trade you would offer or want to make but the one that would hurt but you would still pull the trigger over not doing it? And from there, how would you complete the offseason (lets assume Indy does not want Adams back in the trade as part of this exercise)
    Surprised he thinks Beal is possible. I really like Sabonis. What are your thoughts on how he fits with Zion and BI?

I'd rather chase Brogdon than Sabonis

Saboner can't shoot. 32% on threes

I thought Griff was serious about adding shooting?

I would be happy with spending a lot of the warchest on adding Sabonis and Brogdon and dumping Bled and Adams

Brogdon
    NAW
    BI
    Zion
    Sabonis
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-07-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Surprised he thinks Beal is possible. I really like Sabonis. What are your thoughts on how he fits with Zion and BI?
    Sabonis, along with BI and Zion would potentially give the Pelicans the most dynamic offensive frontcourt in professional basketball. Defensively, it would be a net zero or less unfortunately.

If we committed long term to this, we'd have to eventually...

1. Move BI to the front court, or
    2. Move BI all together.
    Last edited by As I See It; 06-07-2021 at 11:50 AM.

Sengun is basically a younger Sabonis

If he falls to 10, we take him

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Sengun is basically a younger Sabonis

If he falls to 10, we take him
    EGADS!! Another 18 year old pup.

The farm team lives on.
    Last edited by As I See It; 06-07-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Kristaps Porzingis.

Obviously the guy is a unicorn. His tendency is to stay out of the lane so that would allow zion to do his thing. It looks like to me he has seen his last days in Dallas as the chemisty seems not to be working out. Contract wise he has 3 years @ 31m, 33m, and 36m per year. with a 2023-24 player option so we'd have a couple years to make it work. Is it a long shot..maybe but this is who I'd take a chance on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    Kristaps Porzingis.

Obviously the guy is a unicorn. His tendency is to stay out of the lane so that would allow zion to do his thing. It looks like to me he has seen his last days in Dallas as the chemisty seems not to be working out. Contract wise he has 3 years @ 31m, 33m, and 36m per year. with a 2023-24 player option so we'd have a couple years to make it work. Is it a long shot..maybe but this is who I'd take a chance on.
    It would depend on the asking price (Adams would have to part of the trade). Bear in mind though, his durability has been an issue since he came into the league not that Adams was an Ironman this year. Another thing, he totally disappeared in the playoffs against the Clippers.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    All of these guys make me a little nervous haha. I guess that's the point though.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    It would depend on the asking price (Adams would have to part of the trade). Bear in mind though, his durability has been an issue since he came into the league not that Adams was an Ironman this year. Another thing, he totally disappeared in the playoffs against the Clippers.
    Adams and Bledsoe would cover the cost of the contract. With the right fit/chemistry I think it could work.

Bledsoe and Adams contract:
    2021-22: 35,198,000
    2022-23: 37,301,829
    Last edited by Pels4Life; 06-07-2021 at 07:13 PM.

He's locked up by the Clippers, but I would love to get our hands on Rajon Rondo again. Maybe work out something that involves Bledsoe; after all, they could lose Reggie Jackson in Free Agency.

I would try 2 deals, LOVE for adams and bledsoe, Also, ARCIDIACONO and MARKKANEN for lonzo. whatever draft picks reasonable.

I don't know if it's necessarily buying low, but I'm intrigued by VanVleet.

I think the Raptors could be a team that doesn't view Adams as a negative. They have a need for center. Baynes was horrid for them last year.

My proposal is to send our 2021 first, 2022 lottery protected, and Adams for Vanvleet. Now you have a floor spacer, a defender who will at least try, a decent locker room presence, and someone who has been there and done that. Not to mention, still decently young. That is under the assumption we bring Lonzo back.

Secondly, I look around the league at the teams who would be willing to take Bledsoe. That list is extremely small. But one team I could see taking a Thunder-like approach this off-season is the Magic. Terrence Ross has a similar contract to Bledsoe, but 3 million cheaper per year. I'd see what lagniappe of seconds it would take to swap Bledsoe for Ross. Ross, as we know, can be a chucker and non-willing defender at times. However, if you assign him to a Jordan Clarkson like role where his number one goal is to create buckets off the bench, it could work.
    Last edited by iNolaNightmare; 06-17-2021 at 10:21 PM.

zion williamson
    lonzo ball
    brandon ingram
    kelly oubre
    jaxson hayes

id gamble on kelly oubre. His shooting was poor last year but it will bounce back. It would make our entire line-up versatile

The Franchise
    If Warriors get a high pick I’d love a sign and trade for Oubre and pick for Zo. I had forgotten about him mostly because his shooting isn’t that great. I think he’d be a good 6-8th man

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    If Warriors get a high pick I’d love a sign and trade for Oubre and pick for Zo. I had forgotten about him mostly because his shooting isn’t that great. I think he’d be a good 6-8th man
    His best basketball is ahead of him. I think he would start for us

Hard to get more "buy low" than Ben Simmons at this point...I doubt Philly would be that enthralled with our sub-Ingram assets (and I wouldn't give up Ingram) but if their other options are lacking, I'd be interested. Obviously Griff has come out and stated the need for shooting so I don't think he's someone we'll pursue but it seems like the most upside that could possibly be available to us. Would immediately transform our defense, and we can worry about the issues his offense would present in the playoffs when we get to the playoffs. Bledsoe and S/T Lonzo?

The Franchise
    If Simmons is a buy low candidate then I’m all for it. We can find and/or draft some shooters to surround our stars. I’d run him as small ball 5 with Zion and at the 4 with Zion off with a lot of shooters. I’d still make him shoot 1-3pter every quarter and eventually he’ll get to hitting them at a decent clip. The only thing that scares me is hearing about his work ethics. He doesn’t need to be a gym rat but has to put some effort.

I do not think he is nearly as "buy low" as some think. I think he still has a lot of value in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I do not think he is nearly as "buy low" as some think. I think he still has a lot of value in the league.
    For the right team, yeah. Considering the money he is on and the pieces we have, there is no way I?d want him on this roster. I cannot think of a player that intrigues me less. Griff will go all in for this joker in true Pelicans fashion XD

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    For the right team, yeah. Considering the money he is on and the pieces we have, there is no way I?d want him on this roster. I cannot think of a player that intrigues me less. Griff will go all in for this joker in true Pelicans fashion XD
    Yeah, I don't think he fits this team, but I think there are some teams that would still value him pretty highly.

Do you guys have any buy low guys? Doesnt have to be a Kevin Love thread. Genuinely curious
    TJ McConnell 100%. When players go undrafted in the NBA it is like a huge roadblock to getting opportunities. That's starting to change in the league. McConnell has been a reliable PG who plays tenacious defense and passes well. His PER 36 minute stats indicate he could nearly lead the league in steals and avg about 9 assists. He's underutilized, not expensive. The main thing against him is lack of athleticism.

Thread Information