Pelicans Report

Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD

The Clippers are extremely lucky that the Mavs can’t buy a basket today. And Paul George has got to be the most overrated superstar in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    The Clippers are extremely lucky that the Mavs can’t buy a basket today. And Paul George has got to be the most overrated superstar in the league.
    Luka has one of the worst supporting casts of any major superstar in the league today. Not the perhaps, but it's bad.

If he had Trae's team - John Collins, Capela, Huerter, Gallo, Bogdanovic, etc, Luka would be in the Finals this year.
    Basketball.

Kennard looking like that spark plug off the bench kinda guy. Wonder why the clips don't turn to him more often? Obviously I know he's atrocious at defense but still every team needs a spark guy on offense

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Kennard looking like that spark plug off the bench kinda guy. Wonder why the clips don't turn to him more often? Obviously I know he's atrocious at defense but still every team needs a spark guy on offense
    He hit a couple of shots in the game. Misses two of those by an inch and he's a bum according to fans. Same fans who were saying Tim Hardaway, Jr. was gonna get PAID after the first two games of the series.

Its all randomness and fans choose their narratives based on the final result. After a loss today, all of Luka's teammates stink. After Game 2, they were good compliments to him. Guys who didnt demand the ball and knocked down their shots. Meanwhile the Clippers roster was full of bums and PG needed to be traded. And then whoever loses in the next round - their roster stinks too. Either Gobert and Mitchell cant play together or Gobert is a liability in the playoffs. Or George is terrible, as are their point guards. Whatever. Narratives wait for the result and then construct themselves. But the results are random and could very easily be different in a different universe, as a few makes that turn into misses or vice versa completely alter perception
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He hit a couple of shots in the game. Misses two of those by an inch and he's a bum according to fans. Same fans who were saying Tim Hardaway, Jr. was gonna get PAID after the first two games of the series.

Its all randomness and fans choose their narratives based on the final result. After a loss today, all of Luka's teammates stink. After Game 2, they were good compliments to him. Guys who didnt demand the ball and knocked down their shots. Meanwhile the Clippers roster was full of bums and PG needed to be traded. And then whoever loses in the next round - their roster stinks too. Either Gobert and Mitchell cant play together or Gobert is a liability in the playoffs. Or George is terrible, as are their point guards. Whatever. Narratives wait for the result and then construct themselves. But the results are random and could very easily be different in a different universe, as a few makes that turn into misses or vice versa completely alter perception
    I've seen games where kennard has hopped in games this season and he's, for the most part, been a fire starter on offense for them. Of course he's nowhere near worth his contract for how little they play him to be fair.

But to your point. Absolutely.

I like Kennard. Always plays hard, plays with passion. I think he is more of a playmaker than the Clips want or need. I would like him here - I think he can run both sides of the pick and roll with Zion. Play the JJ role where he sets the screen and pops out for 3. Or be the ball handler and have Zion roll. I would love to do Lonzo sign and trade for Kennard and their 2028 pick.

I like Kennard. Always plays hard, plays with passion. I think he is more of a playmaker than the Clips want or need. I would like him here - I think he can run both sides of the pick and roll with Zion. Play the JJ role where he sets the screen and pops out for 3. Or be the ball handler and have Zion roll. I would love to do Lonzo sign and trade for Kennard and their 2028 pick.
    Or they can just keep their pick....

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Or they can just keep their pick....
    I dont think Griff is sign and trading Lonzo unless its part of a package for a superior player or he is getting a pick to add to the war chest to get a superior player down the line. He had opportunities to get solid players like Kennard and said no, demanding a pick to be added each time. He clearly wants as many assets as possible to make 1 or 2 major trades for difference makers over the next few years. Which is why the Adams trade confuses me so much to this day

Yes we need shooters added to this team and Kennard would be a decent get. I wonder what Norman Powell will get in free agency, as well as Lauri Markkanen. I would love to add a guard and stretch 4 that can hit 3s consistently to the roster. I would also hope to somehow land Moses Moody in the draft. Trade Bledsoe for whatever we can get. Maybe sign & trade Lonzo as well. I like Lonzo, but we need more consistent shooters around Zion & BI.

C: Adams, Hayes
    PF: Markkanen
    SF: BI, Moody
    SG: Powell, NAW
    PG: Zion, Lewis

I would love a roster kind of like that one with 2 decent 3 point shooters to go with Zion, BI, & Adams or Hayes.

I dont want just shooters. We need to start separating types of shooters. I want guys who can knock down UNASSISTED 3's - at least one or two. Catch and shoot guys are a dime a dozen and easier to game plan for. We need guys who can get their own off the bounce to really open up this offense

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Yes we need shooters added to this team and Kennard would be a decent get. I wonder what Norman Powell will get in free agency, as well as Lauri Markkanen. I would love to add a guard and stretch 4 that can hit 3s consistently to the roster. I would also hope to somehow land Moses Moody in the draft. Trade Bledsoe for whatever we can get. Maybe sign & trade Lonzo as well. I like Lonzo, but we need more consistent shooters around Zion & BI.

C: Adams, Hayes
    PF: Markkanen
    SF: BI, Moody
    SG: Powell, NAW
    PG: Zion, Lewis

I would love a roster kind of like that one with 2 decent 3 point shooters to go with Zion, BI, & Adams or Hayes.
    And who’s defending the other teams point guard with this lineup? Zion is a point offensively but in the NBA you are what you can defend.

There is no realistic roster construction in which there wont be a glaring weakness IMO. Because your main guy cant defend or shoot and ⁶your 2nd guy cant defend, you are either going to have to settle on a team of shooters around Zion with that team being below average to bad defensively or go get some defenders and rim protectors but likely not have good spacing.

I dont think there is a realistic roster construction where you dont have one of those issues
    Which is why this team needs either Zion and Ingram to become B level defenders or better OR Zion to develop into a three level threat off his own creation. If neither of those things happen, you are bound to have a flawed roster

There is no realistic roster construction in which there wont be a glaring weakness IMO. Because your main guy cant defend or shoot and ⁶your 2nd guy cant defend, you are either going to have to settle on a team of shooters around Zion with that team being below average to bad defensively or go get some defenders and rim protectors but likely not have good spacing.

I dont think there is a realistic roster construction where you dont have one of those issues
    Which is why this team needs either Zion and Ingram to become B level defenders or better OR Zion to develop into a three level threat off his own creation. If neither of those things happen, you are bound to have a flawed roster
    Or Ingram needs to be moved. I love Zion and Ingram, don’t know if I love them together

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Or Ingram needs to be moved. I love Zion and Ingram, don’t know if I love them together
    I think this would be the prevailing thought with any duo that hasnt won. Like, if we had Fox and Ingram was on some other team, people would be saying "Neither can really shoot and they are both small for their position. A guy like Ingram would be a much better fit."

How humans work

Fox only shot 32% on threes this season. Colour me shocked.

From the way he shoots against the Pels, I would have had him at 42%

I dont want just shooters. We need to start separating types of shooters. I want guys who can knock down UNASSISTED 3's - at least one or two. Catch and shoot guys are a dime a dozen and easier to game plan for. We need guys who can get their own off the bounce to really open up this offense
    Im ok with catch and shoot guys. But as long as defenses have to respect them out there and they can make a simple play when run off the line and force the defense to react to them.

My biggest problem with Lonzo is while somethimes he gets hot and falls in the unassisted 3 maker category, defenses arent afraid of him really and definitely arent afraid to just blitz him when he's hot because they know he's not a threat driving to the basket when run off the line. Whereas guys like Batum, Royce Oneale, Desmond bane may just be catch and shoot shooters, but they can actually drive and kick if they get blitzed and create another advantage elsewhere, so the ball doesn't just stop with them.

of course there are other guys who offensively are only good at catch and shoot and despite good percentages dont really improve spacing because guys can just go with hard closeouts. Basically Tony Snell types.

I absolutely do not want any catch and shoot guys, especially long term. I mainly like Moses Moody because even though he is not good in iso, he has shown enough flashes to where you think he gets better there.

That's why so far I think this team should target guys like Doug McDermott and Tony Snell to replace who they renounce in the bottom half of the roster.

As far as larger moves. Again, anything that moves Ingram at this point is purely asinine. Even with Adams/Zion occupying the paint he still gave you a 24/5/5 box line. I don't think there is another 20+ ppg scorer in the NBA that did it with so little access to the rim. And Ingram does want to get to the rim like he did the previous 2 seasons.

Any larger move has to add to Zion & Ingram. This team needs a point guard, a couple more shooting wings, and a stretch big as far as personnel. Team wise they need to get on the same page defensively. Especially in pick and roll coverages. Thats a team problem.

They probably aren't going to fix all the personnel issues in 1 off season. Take your time and tackle what you can with quality. Dont make a Dallas mistake and get stuck with a Porzingis issue.

You can't be rushed into doing something stupid just to get a 21 year old into the playoffs who's only played 1 season (85 games). That's panicked fan talk not GM talk.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-07-2021 at 03:11 PM.

Bucks being thoroughly outcoached.

Bucks hahve just completely abandoned the idea of focusing on penetration and getting to the hoop, despite being able to do so basically at will and with very little resistance once they get there. Instead they're trying to mismatch hunt and it's just not working.

Doesn't help that Middleton is stinking it up again for the second game in a row.

That aint gonna work in later rounds of the playoffs - at least not as much as it would need to in order to outscore skilled teams. Refs dont have as loose a whistle, guys on the other team are locked in and trying all 48 minutes, game plans are known by every player who is playing, for every situation.

Its a different sport and its why I never care about all the regular season numbers or people getting all worked up about Zion's paint numbers. That aint gonna work in the playoffs. You need 3 level scorers. Guys who can pull up off the dribble from numerous spots. And heck, even one of those guys likely isnt enough any more. Need two to really have a chance at a title. Zion should be working every day on his pull ups from 12-18 feet off his quick first step. Then, once he has mastered that, he needs to work on a pull up 3. Only way this team really ever contends. Giannis is showing us that now

Shooting is king. Nets killing the line.

Game 2 of the Buck/Nets series turned into a summer league game in the 4th.

Somebody will be on the hot seat soon if this doesn't turn around fast.

That aint gonna work in later rounds of the playoffs - at least not as much as it would need to in order to outscore skilled teams. Refs dont have as loose a whistle, guys on the other team are locked in and trying all 48 minutes, game plans are known by every player who is playing, for every situation.

Its a different sport and its why I never care about all the regular season numbers or people getting all worked up about Zion's paint numbers. That aint gonna work in the playoffs. You need 3 level scorers. Guys who can pull up off the dribble from numerous spots. And heck, even one of those guys likely isnt enough any more. Need two to really have a chance at a title. Zion should be working every day on his pull ups from 12-18 feet off his quick first step. Then, once he has mastered that, he needs to work on a pull up 3. Only way this team really ever contends. Giannis is showing us that now
    I said this exact same thing three months ago and everyone jumped my butt for saying it. Of course my wording was nearly as diplomatic as you. I said Zion better work on his intermediate shot and three ball, "because the days of a 'one trick pony' are long gone". So in between learning how to play point guard (God Help Us All), he better be addressing his limited shooting range.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I said this exact same thing three months ago and everyone jumped my butt for saying it. Of course my wording was nearly as diplomatic as you. I said Zion better work on his intermediate shot and three ball, "because the days of a 'one trick pony' are long gone". So in between learning how to play point guard (God Help Us All), he better be addressing his limited shooting range.
    That sounds about white. .

How insightful... Zion game isn't gonna work in the playoffs before he plays in the playoff sounds like the old the Zion game isn't going to work in the NBA on draft night. You might want to let it play out.

Is it going to win you championship.... Nah. But one player can't win you championship. If this was true... KD and Lebron wouldn't need to Super Team for Chips.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    He needs to become AT LEAST Jimmy Butler on levels two and three. At least. And it is possible, but he needs to get there, and thats why I dont care about all his paint scoring stats. Its great, but that will be much, much harder to do in the playoffs. That said, if he can become a legit threat off the dribble from mid and even deep, the guy could be the best offensive weapon in the league. But I need to see it first before I just assume he can become that. No player in NBA history took so few shots outside the paint in his first two years and then eventually became an off the dribble 3-level threat. He would be the outlier of outliers, and yet some just act like its a given. I hope they are right.

Thread Information