Pelicans Report

Thread: End of Season Rankings and Ratings

NBA End of Season Rankings and Ratings

Now that the season is over, things are done, everything is sorted out, I thought it would be interesting for people to use this thread to give their opinions on who should win the league's awards overall, but also, who are the players who did the best for the team?

So, fill out your ballots for:

MVP:
    Defensive Player of the Year:
    Most Improved:
    Rookie of the Year:

And give your All-NBA/All Defense teams too, if you want.

Then, who do you think is the MVP, the DPOY, and the Most Improved player on this team?

For me, it's something like this:

MVP: Nikola Jokic
    Defensive Player of the Year: Rudy Gobert
    Most Improved: Julius Randle
    Rookie of the Year: LaMelo Ball

All NBA First Team All NBA Second Team All NBA Third Team
    Guard #1 Stephen Curry Damian Lillard Mike Conley
    Guard #2 Kyrie Irving Chris Paul Zach LaVine
    Forward #1 Giannis Antetokoumnpo Paul George Julius Randle
    Forward #2 Luka Doncic Kawhi Leonard Zion Williamson
    Centre Nikola Jokic Joel Embiid Rudy Gobert

There could be a few changes there depending on exactly how you rank things, such as whether or not you consider Doncic a guard, and I've seen some people saying that Embiid qualifies as a forward this year so he should be first team, but I stuck to fairly strict ''size'' positions, so Luka is a forward here and Embiid is a centre.

All Defensive First Team All Defensive Second Team
    Guard #1 Jrue Holiday Marcus Smart
    Guard #2 Matisse Thybulle Paul George
    Forward #1 Jimmy Butler Draymond Green
    Forward #2 Ben Simmons Giannis Antetokoumnpo
    Centre Rudy Gobert Joel Embiid

This was much harder, due to a lack of a 3rd team meaning fewer slots and harder decisions. I knew that Gobert, Simmons, and Thybulle had to be 1st team. I ended up picking Jrue for First Team over Smart (and missing Lowry off) because of the three, he had the highest D-EPM and the highest STL%, and we all know what he can do generally. Paul George over Kawhi might seem surprising but I do think that was fairly clear this year. Giannis on 2nd team rather than 1st might confuse some, but I think he took a step down this year compared to last in the regular season and Butler/Simmons both were clearly more ''switched on'' - the playoffs may be a different story.

For the Pelicans:

MVP: Zion Williamson
    Defensive Player of the Year: Really hard to pick for obvious, bad defense related reasons. Hard to pick. Probably like Naji Marshall or Steven Adams.
    Most Improved: Lots of competition here, it's either Zion for his steps up on playmaking or his defense becoming fine, or it's Jax for going from unplayable to legitimate rotation piece.

Now, I went into a lot of detail and I made tables and stuff, you obviously don't have to do that, but drop your ballots for MVP, MIP, DPOY, and ROTY in this thread. Debate is good too, just don't start throwing insults. We're talking about ALL NBA and ALL D and MVP here, so nobody should be saying players suck: everyone on these lists had a good year.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Now that the season is over, things are done, everything is sorted out, I thought it would be interesting for people to use this thread to give their opinions on who should win the league's awards overall, but also, who are the players who did the best for the team?

So, fill out your ballots for:

MVP:
    Defensive Player of the Year:
    Most Improved:
    Rookie of the Year:

And give your All-NBA/All Defense teams too, if you want.

Then, who do you think is the MVP, the DPOY, and the Most Improved player on this team?

For me, it's something like this:

MVP: Nikola Jokic
    Defensive Player of the Year: Rudy Gobert
    Most Improved: Julius Randle
    Rookie of the Year: LaMelo Ball

All NBA First Team All NBA Second Team All NBA Third Team
    Guard #1 Stephen Curry Damian Lillard Mike Conley
    Guard #2 Kyrie Irving Chris Paul Zach LaVine
    Forward #1 Giannis Antetokoumnpo Paul George Julius Randle
    Forward #2 Luka Doncic Kawhi Leonard Zion Williamson
    Centre Nikola Jokic Joel Embiid Rudy Gobert

There could be a few changes there depending on exactly how you rank things, such as whether or not you consider Doncic a guard, and I've seen some people saying that Embiid qualifies as a forward this year so he should be first team, but I stuck to fairly strict ''size'' positions, so Luka is a forward here and Embiid is a centre.

All Defensive First Team All Defensive Second Team
    Guard #1 Jrue Holiday Marcus Smart
    Guard #2 Matisse Thybulle Paul George
    Forward #1 Jimmy Butler Draymond Green
    Forward #2 Ben Simmons Giannis Antetokoumnpo
    Centre Rudy Gobert Joel Embiid

This was much harder, due to a lack of a 3rd team meaning fewer slots and harder decisions. I knew that Gobert, Simmons, and Thybulle had to be 1st team. I ended up picking Jrue for First Team over Smart (and missing Lowry off) because of the three, he had the highest D-EPM and the highest STL%, and we all know what he can do generally. Paul George over Kawhi might seem surprising but I do think that was fairly clear this year. Giannis on 2nd team rather than 1st might confuse some, but I think he took a step down this year compared to last in the regular season and Butler/Simmons both were clearly more ''switched on'' - the playoffs may be a different story.

For the Pelicans:

MVP: Zion Williamson
    Defensive Player of the Year: Really hard to pick for obvious, bad defense related reasons. Hard to pick. Probably like Naji Marshall or Steven Adams.
    Most Improved: Lots of competition here, it's either Zion for his steps up on playmaking or his defense becoming fine, or it's Jax for going from unplayable to legitimate rotation piece.

Now, I went into a lot of detail and I made tables and stuff, you obviously don't have to do that, but drop your ballots for MVP, MIP, DPOY, and ROTY in this thread. Debate is good too, just don't start throwing insults. We're talking about ALL NBA and ALL D and MVP here, so nobody should be saying players suck: everyone on these lists had a good year.
    Poor Bradley Beal and Jayson Tatum.

I must admit that I am not surprised to see just one non-playoff team player on your lists

And, it looks like Julius Randle did sustain his early season numbers after all, huh?
    Last edited by As I See It; 05-17-2021 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Poor Bradley Beal and Jayson Tatum.

I must admit that I am not surprised to see just one non-playoff team player on your lists

And, it looks like Julius Randle did sustain his early season numbers after all, huh?
    Randle impressive this season. He does this again next season and he is in MVP conversation

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Randle impressive this season. He does this again next season and he is in MVP conversation
    He takes a leap this big again next year and he's the undisputed MVP.

Going from a semi-decent rotation player to being in contention for an All NBA spot is a huge jump. He went from being like, the 90th best player in the NBA to the 25th. He takes another leap of this size and he's a top 5 player

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He takes a leap this big again next year and he's the undisputed MVP.
    You've come a long way baby.

By your measure, Julius became "All NBA-worthy" in his seventh year, at age 26, after showing vast improvement in his brief New Orleans stay.

This year, 23-year-old, Lonzo Ball showed vast improvement in his fourth NBA Season after his two year stay in New Orleans.

Will history repeat itself?

Will New York finish polishing a jewel, AGAIN?

Is the farm team doing its job well?

I like it. There is no laker in any of the tables

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    I like it. There is no laker in any of the tables
    The only guys on the Lakers who would have qualified are AD and Lebron and they both just missed too many games.

Thread Information