Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What are your early expectations for the Pels next year?

What are your early expectations for the Pels next year?

This year was a mess of sorts. We were told that we would be competitive, but that didn?t mean making the playoffs. We were told that we would develop players, but that didn?t manifest itself on the court until the final few months of the season. So, next season, so that we are all on the same page with expectations, what are the Pels goal for next year in terms of position in the West? Top 8 team? Top 6 team? Barely a play in team? I want to hear some expectations so that we aren?t confused about what the team was supposed to be doing next year.

I think if we return this same team we are a top 8 team. Maybe 7 if everyone is healthy. If we make a big addition top 6? Development is key, but not like you are counting on rookies to lead you. Players have been seasoned enough where we can?t keep saying ?these are essentially rookies?. So top 8 for sure, best case top 6.

What are your expectations?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

There's many factors that have to work themselves out before we can properly answer this question. For instance;

1. To Lonzo, or not to Lonzo, that is the question.
    2. Should we decide to keep Lonzo, would it be on a sign and trade basis or to keep him?
    3. If it is on a sign and trade basis, what would return for Lonzo? Kennard? Markkanen? Robinson? (Fill in a name)
    4. Can we move Adams? If so, what would be the return?
    5. Can we move Bledsoe without attaching draft picks or will he be more valuable at mid year because of his declining contract?
    6. Assuming we are slotted between 9-11 in the upcoming draft, would we settle for another Kira-like player to develop or would we trade for a veteran presence?
    7. Will we start using our accumulated assets in some kind of block buster trade that would certainly involve some of our young talent?
    8. Will Hart be back? H'Gomez? JJ? Gabriel?
    9. How deep will we dredge into the free agency waters (if at all)?
    10. Will the Ping Pong Balls bounce our way?

But let's say we keep the same team in tact as we have this year, and merely add a draft pick (9-11). Then I would that, once again, we are fringe team that may or may not be playing in the Play In Rounds for the playoffs next year.

But I fully expect a shake up, of sorts, this off season, so stay tuned.................
    Last edited by As I See It; 05-14-2021 at 01:05 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    None of what is in post two are part of my "expectations". I think it's irrelevant to the point that we should expect progress and that would be in-line with what is in the original post. From there I'd echo the same essentially. My expectations are in line with UNO Gracias, and at the end of the day, barring catastrophic injury, top 8 team. Maybe 7 if everyone is healthy, a big addition top 6. I don't think that's unreasonable. It's up to Griff and coaching to get us there. We should have those expectations at this point IMO.

Basketball Guru
    normal off season.....normal training camp....normal season....so i expect playoffs, playoffs, playoffs...anything less than the playoffs is a fail season for me....i want to be in the arena for a playoff series or two...

I think the biggest question this franchise needs to ask, is if Zion and BI are a good fit together. Are two guys who both demand the ball in their hands and are both subpar defenders a good fit? Because if they're not a good fit, we may be spinning our wheels going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    I think the biggest question this franchise needs to ask, is if Zion and BI are a good fit together. Are two guys who both demand the ball in their hands and are both subpar defenders a good fit? Because if they're not a good fit, we may be spinning our wheels going forward.
    I think they know the answer to that but I dont think they have to address it this offseason. They know it wont work at the highest of levels, but you dont just trade BI and get whatever you can get now and get all the perfect pieces this summer. Its not realistic. You stay open to opportunities and strike when it presents itself. Raptors always knew Derozen would eventually have to go, but Kawhi is only available when he's available. You cant force a trade just because you know you will eventually have to move a guy
    @mcnamara247

I?m going in on a partial season ticket plan next season. They better make the playoffs are that is it for me. I?m going to give it one more chance.

Yes I?m giving it one more chance.

The biggest question this franchise needs to ask it how do they go about upgrading their back court. I can't say last offseason was a colossal failure given you can't fix everything in one offseason. Do you try and make a big trade for a talented vet, or do you just hand the keys to NAW.

The next question is how much faith do they have in Jaxson Hayes in ultimately taking that step to become the starter. Because they will definitely be getting calls on him this offseason.

I think the idea that if we return this 12th seed team we're probably a 7th seed is kind of nuts, honestly.

It's hard to judge exactly what the team will do when there's so much about the team that's likely to change. One of Lonzo or Bledsoe will probably be gone, we may draft a new rookie or we may trade that pick to acquire a different player, does Hart return to the team, etc. Lots of potential changes.

As a result it's hard to say what I think will happen, but what I think should happen is a legitimate playoff push. It's Zion's third year with us, we don't need to be a finals contender or anything yet but we do need to be making strides towards actually winning, and for me that means we need to be a top 8 team next year. That is to say, a 'real' playoff team, not a play in team.
    Basketball.

I think realistically a safe expectation is that the Pelicans will start off with a hiss and a roar next season, fall in love with their offence, then slide back into mediocrity.

We can point to some roster improvements and encouraging player development that has taken place, and the hope of improvement through draft and trade.

A more normal offseason and training camp should help all teams.

Big questions to me are can we fix the backcourt and can the team build a winning culture and mentality on and off court? I don't know.
    Last edited by KoMikaera; 05-15-2021 at 08:55 PM.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Quote Originally Posted by KoMikaera View Post

A more normal offseason and training camp should help all teams.
    It should help young teams like the Pels much more

More disappointment?

If next year is a failure. Benson would probably have to cater to Zion's camp over Griffin. If that means if Zion wants Griffin out. Benson should logically concede. Griffin didn't maximize getting talent in a rebuild through traditional means. At most, he build a roster that only means to harm ourselves in the long term in a time when we shouldn't have expectations to compete.

Sadly, an arena half full - if that. Team might be 8th seed. City gets somewhat excited. If floundering 9+ seed, talk of moving franchise to Seattle. Thanks to hiring SVG.

But what do I know?
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Really depends how well we address the bench situation and if our main guys stay healthy. I think the team did a great job of winning first quarters, but we couldn't hold leads and that's where the main improvement needs to come, maintaining a level of play for 48 minutes, and part of that is having a deeper roster.

I'm also pondering if we should move BI to2 guard and get a defensive wing. I believe adding more length would benefit us greatly. And yea, work on defense coz the team is pretty trash at that

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    More disappointment?

If next year is a failure. Benson would probably have to cater to Zion's camp over Griffin. If that means if Zion wants Griffin out. Benson should logically concede. Griffin didn't maximize getting talent in a rebuild through traditional means. At most, he build a roster that only means to harm ourselves in the long term in a time when we shouldn't have expectations to compete.
    She just got finished watching one superstar trying to run her franchise only to slap her in the face in the end. She won't make the same mistake twice. Griff isn't going anywhere anytime soon, unless he wants to.

Get me a real guard -- a real one - and I will expect a top 5 seed that can compete with anyone in the postseason. Any other outcomes and I will expect them to be fighting for the play in. I think an intelligent guard who understands the game, who can control pace and get guys the ball at the spots on the floor they want it drastically changes the ceiling. But if you bring in wings and/or 3-and-D guys, shooters, etc around Zion and have Zion, BI, and a fringe guard as the playmakers, it will be the same thing as the last two years. Very competitive all game, having sizeable leads, and the other team outperforms us more times than not in the final 4 minutes and we hover around .500

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Get me a real guard -- a real one - and I will expect a top 5 seed that can compete with anyone in the postseason. Any other outcomes and I will expect them to be fighting for the play in. I think an intelligent guard who understands the game, who can control pace and get guys the ball at the spots on the floor they want it drastically changes the ceiling. But if you bring in wings and/or 3-and-D guys, shooters, etc around Zion and have Zion, BI, and a fringe guard as the playmakers, it will be the same thing as the last two years. Very competitive all game, having sizeable leads, and the other team outperforms us more times than not in the final 4 minutes and we hover around .500
    I agree MM….does Brogdon (if available) fall into the category of a real guard? Or should we focus solely on the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    I agree MM….does Brogdon (if available) fall into the category of a real guard? Or should we focus solely on the draft?
    A 19 yr old isnt going to do those things. CP3 or Luka isnt in this draft. And I dont think Brogdon is that level. But maybe if you can get Brogdon and a Derrick White combo (just a random example). But you wont get it in this draft at pick 9 or 10. And if you cant get a CP3 level guy, you go get two reliable guards who can share those responsibilities.

A 19 yr old isnt going to do those things. CP3 or Luka isnt in this draft. And I dont think Brogdon is that level. But maybe if you can get Brogdon and a Derrick White combo (just a random example). But you wont get it in this draft at pick 9 or 10. And if you cant get a CP3 level guy, you go get two reliable guards who can share those responsibilities.
    Yeah I agree with this take. Would Spencer Dinwiddie also be a reasonable option?

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    one of the free agent guys that intrigues me is Cameron Payne....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Yeah I agree with this take. Would Spencer Dinwiddie also be a reasonable option?
    I think we have the next Dinwiddie in NAW. I dont see NAW as a starter, and would prefer him as a change of pace 6th man. As for Cam Payne, again, I think his best role is to lead bench units. Griff has to go overpay for a REAL difference making guard. A guy who understands the game, situations, and his teammates at an elite level. That list to me is small. Its: CP3, Curry, Lillard, Luka, Harden, Lowry, maybe Conley. I cant see getting any of them unless the Jazz get upset in the first round and maybe you can bring in Conley on a big 2 yr deal, but at that point I'd rather go get two above average guys

I agree that there's no CP3 or Luka but I do think Cade will be extremely good extremely quickly.

The issue is that we have basically no avenue to that outside of extreme luck. So you can't gameplan on that. If you get lucky then nice, but if you expect that and plan your future around it you're being silly.

Dinwiddie is hugely overrated.

I dont think anybody was going to make a gameplan for s9mething that has a 6 percent chance of happening. And to a degree, almost everything is luck/beyond your control as a GM. If Beal would have demanded out in January, he would probably be a Pelican right now. Almost all of it is luck

I think we have the next Dinwiddie in NAW. I dont see NAW as a starter, and would prefer him as a change of pace 6th man. As for Cam Payne, again, I think his best role is to lead bench units. Griff has to go overpay for a REAL difference making guard. A guy who understands the game, situations, and his teammates at an elite level. That list to me is small. Its: CP3, Curry, Lillard, Luka, Harden, Lowry, maybe Conley. I cant see getting any of them unless the Jazz get upset in the first round and maybe you can bring in Conley on a big 2 yr deal, but at that point I'd rather go get two above average guys
    Agree, it is a small, mostly unachievable, list. Conley may be the only option of that group and not even sure that is a likely scenario. A guy I would love to have on the 2nd unit is McConnell. Love his energy and defense.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Agree, it is a small, mostly unachievable, list. Conley may be the only option of that group and not even sure that is a likely scenario. A guy I would love to have on the 2nd unit is McConnell. Love his energy and defense.
    If he is on the 2nd unit, then either Kira or NAW (or both) are on the first and I am not a huge fan of either unless the other guard is a STUD. Like, if we get Beal, and gave up NAW or Kira, then the other could start and TJ with Didi off the bench is fine

Thread Information