Pelicans Report

Page 95 of 157 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 145 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Odd outlier. The expectation is that there is a promise to pay him when they get bird rights. Huge risk for him though. Porter took less from Warriors as well to try and increase his future value.
    Had heard that Porter was taking less because he's content after his max deal. Just wants to chill and play on a contender and not have to be a focal point. Not a bad life

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    There was another deal worked out for Graham and then an opportunity came up and we switched it to a protected 1st. Like I keep saying, lets let the whole thing play out and evaluate as a while. I expect Hart and Sato out and a starter plus 2-3 good reserves in over the next few days. Then we can all give our opinions as a whole
    And as Dae mentioned earlier in this thread, we probably used the protected first to keep Charlotte from matching. It seems fair to me and if he were in next years draft, he would definitely be a good get after the 14th pick. I'm ok adding the protected 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    And as Dae mentioned earlier in this thread, we probably used the protected first to keep Charlotte from matching. It seems fair to me and if he were in next years draft, he would definitely be a good get after the 14th pick. I'm ok adding the protected 1st.
    Both to keep Charlotte from matching and to participate in/facilitate what I assume will eventually be a 3 team deal. You're paying Charlotte to be willing participants.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    I don't really care what anyone thinks about our offseason. At the end of the day, if the Pelicans can put together a complimentary roster for Zion and BI, add the necessary spacing, IQ, ball security, free throw shooting, and defense, I will feel really good about this squad. I am hoping we field an offense as one of the top spacing offenses in the league. I'm patiently waiting for the next several moves to judge Griffin and Langdon on their vision for this offseason.
    I think it's exactly this. If Zion and Ingram are who people assume they are, and if you think they can co-exist, then you build complementary pieces around them that allow them to be better. Trey Murphy is a perfect example. Low usage player that doesn't need the ball in his hands but is an elite 3 point shooter. Of course that assumes his game translates to the NBA with bigger and more athletic players guarding him.

You could also make the argument that outside of Kyle Lowry and maybe Westbrook, the next best player that changed teams so far this offseason was Jonas Valenciunas. Ja Morant is the more skilled player, and will be better very soon, but JV was far more important to them being in playoff contention the last two years. My only question is how he fits with Zion and Ingram considering he has a much higher usage than Adams. Though the difference can easily be minimized by Zion and Ingram getting more assists off him than they would from Adams.

Da Weatherman Speaks! Contributor WeatherNLU's Avatar
    My first reaction was we got hosed for Lonzo. That was just reading the deal and not really putting things into perspective. We tried Zo, BI and Zion. It definitely did not work. There was a no way we could pay Zo $21M plus per year. I did not want him back for that, and our FO obviously did not either, so they got the scraps they could get. I think all of that has a likelihood of being flipped. I really like Graham for half the price at PG. He can get the job done along with Kira. I wish we had not given up another first but we did what we had to do. This team almost has to make the playoffs (even as a 6-8 seed) this year or it's big trouble anyway so hopefully it's a pick in the late teens or early 20s.

We retain flexibility cap wise and I honestly think we are better with Graham/JV than we were with Zo/Adams. I would love to keep Josh Hart because he always acted like he wanted to be here but I see the value in him and that he may be used to recoup a pick. That said, I think we are a better team with the additions (including Murphy) and we can add another guy. I am not sure DeRozan is the answer but we may be the only team (along with possibly Charlotte) that can do something like that without a S/T. We have options and I like where we are. Just took me a little while to see it.

I survived Katrina, but nothing I owned did.

Its happening. Ingles please

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post

Its happening. Ingles please
    Ingles would be a nice pickup as long as we do not have to give up any 1sts. Maybe a couple of 2nds?

The Jazz are currently 13.6 million above the luxury tax. Joe Ingles contract is 13 million. Could save themselves a ton of money by sending Ingles to the Pels, and could still sign to the Rudy Gay taxpayer MLE. Same could be said for Hart and Bogdanovich if Hart signs for roughly 10 million.

I think Jazz will pay the Tax. Don't get your hopes up.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Just get me Derozan or Buddy, DG, and all is forgiven.

Gotta think Buddy's contract may be too much for Griffin to swallow. Could we be looking to move Satoransky for Dragic? Or trying to pry Ingles away from Utah? Personally, not sure Dragic would be worth the extra $9+ million in salary over Satoransky, but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I think Jazz will pay the Tax. Don't get your hopes up.
    They would still be paying the tax regardless, but is Ingles or Bojan worth an extra $25 million in tax when they can replace Bojan for Hart and only pay $1 million in tax

They would still be paying the tax regardless, but is Ingles or Bojan worth an extra $25 million in tax when they can replace Bojan for Hart and only pay $1 million in tax
    Yeah, I have a feeling this is being worked on today or maybe that's my hope. Griff has to use Hart and Sato in trades now.

Gotta think Buddy's contract may be too much for Griffin to swallow. Could we be looking to move Satoransky for Dragic? Or trying to pry Ingles away from Utah? Personally, not sure Dragic would be worth the extra $9+ million in salary over Satoransky, but who knows?
    I believe Dragic resigned w/ Miami but maybe we can get Brogdon.
    Brogdon and Ingles would be nice. Just don't know if we can get both.

Quote Originally Posted by PELSGIRL View Post
    Yeah, I have a feeling this is being worked on today or maybe that's my hope. Griff has to use Hart and Sato in trades now.
    Warriors were the other team rumored to be interested in Ingles and Bojan, and they just signed Bjelica. The Jazz guys are obviously better, but the skillsets are redundant with Bjelica

Quote Originally Posted by PELSGIRL View Post
    I believe Dragic resigned w/ Miami but maybe we can get Brogdon.
    Brogdon and Ingles would be nice. Just don't know if we can get both.
    He was part of the S&T to Toronto for Lowry, so he could be re-routed. Rumors have been that he was going to go to the Mavs, but Pels have been mentioned as having interest.

He was part of the S&T to Toronto for Lowry, so he could be re-routed. Rumors have been that he was going to go to the Mavs, but Pels have been mentioned as having interest.
    Oh, gotcha.

That’s the price you pay to be a contender. If you're afraid to pay. Why even bother owning an NBA team? Seems like contending teams have zero issues with going all in and paying the tax the last few years. You got GSW and BKN paying $100 million as tax teams. $25 million isn't a lot to NBA owners anymore. These are billionaires...

Which is starting to worry me, because I know we don't bring in FA. This offseason... It seems just very odd for an exciting young squad with a really exciting new head coach to have so little interest.

I think Griff backstabbing, micromanaging, and throwing so many Vets/coaches under the bus on top of NOLA becoming a Vet graveyard has made what is already a super tough sell for FA seem like "Avoid at all Cost" for any FA.

We got to get the drama under control, win games, and start acting like a functional organic organization.

That’s the price you pay to be a contender. If you're afraid to pay. Why even bother owning an NBA team? Seems like contending teams have zero issues with going all in and paying the tax the last few years. You got GSW and BKN paying $100 million as tax teams. $25 million isn't a lot to NBA owners anymore. These are billionaires...
    The tax is such a joke. There should not be a tax. All teams should operate under the same cap. The tax is just a way for the "haves" to send money to the "have nots" to keep them happy while the "haves" compete for championships.

At this point in time this sounds more like a conspiracy theory than an actual plan the Pelicans have. Have any of you heard anything about an expanded trade. If that is the plan it is a well kept secret. And as he correctly pointed out giving up a first in the Graham trade was reprehensible.

Any of you hearing anything about an expanded trade tying in Memphis?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    Any of you hearing anything about an expanded trade tying in Memphis?
    There has been a lot of speculation, mainly by locals. Given that we would likely want to remain over the cap, I can see another trade being lumped in (unless Hart signs for say $10 million or more a year).

Do not want derozan, can’t hit the 3. We already have a secondary scorer in Ingram. Ingles and Barnes would be fantastic fits though.

James Johnson signed with Nets.

Thread Information